Tiffany Alexander for Re-election 2021

I’ve been on the Board of Directors for the last 3 years, during which I have learned a great deal. It takes more than just engineers to make ChampCar great. It takes teamwork, good communication, and a good big picture approach. It takes a focus on the people who are ChampCar, as well as the race cars.

My continued interest in doing this is quite simple. I support and respect all the hard works that has gone into making ChampCar great.  In my opinion, ChampCar sets itself apart from the other race organizations; (I know, because I have raced with some of those other organizations). Although ChampCar is not perfect, I do feel like it is the best thing out there, especially for grassroots racers without deep pockets. I’d like to continue to help in keeping ChampCar fun, keeping it accessible to new teams, keeping it as affordable and as fair as possible, while maintaining the highest standard of safety and rule stability. I believe in the spirit of ChampCar, the same spirit that got us all hooked and blowing our money on race cars in the beginning.

My Background,

I’ve been driving and instructing (road race stuff) since 2009.  I started crewing with BurningHam in early 2013. I drove in my first ChampCar race in late 2013 at Sebring (can I say hell yeah, that Sebring was my first race, such a bucket list moment). I was officially hooked. My husband, Casey, helped me build my first Champcar, and as team captain I’ve fielded 2 different Hondas with a combination of teammates and renters. In 2017,  I started working on the broadcast team for Champcar.Live, since then I’ve rented seats from several other teams, including Eracing, WUDU, and Two Lanes Motorsports. I enjoy trying out new cars and hanging out with new teams.

Before I started racing, I spent 5 years working on the tech and registration crew of my local PCA chapter, and I was appointed Event Chair for the PCA Chapter's HPDE program. I managed 3+ events per year at Barber Motorsports for several years. I developed many program elements and organizational strategies that they still use. I know a lot about running a track event.

Ten years ago I started my business, Alexander & Associates Counseling Services, from the ground up, which lets you know about my resourcefulness and my work ethic. It also allows me to have a flexible schedule.

On a personal note, I have been obsessed with cars my whole life. I wanted to race everything growing up, whether it was my Big Wheel, my bicycle, the lawn mower, golf cart, or go-karts, whatever I could get my hands on.  My poor parents… at least they have some funny stories.

In summary, I am experienced in the complex nature of event management;  organizing staff, volunteers, and logistics. I am well versed in running a business, managing a budget, and providing superior customer service. I have been highly involved with ChampCar for many years now.  I know the BCCR and Bylaws well. I am not a mechanic or engineer, but I know my way around a car and I have no problems researching when I need to.   More important than any of that though, is that I can listen. ChampCar is about the people, not just the cars. I can listen to what the members want and I can find solutions. I am good at thinking outside the box. I like keeping everyone focused on the big picture, that we all are here to compete and have fun.

Edited by TAlexander
  • Like 10

• TAlexander changed the title to Tiffany Alexander for Re-election 2021

Tiffany carries good organizational skills into this task.  I have worked with her in DE's and we raced together in our early years of Chumpcar.  She does a yeoman's work with the broadcast and is knowledgeable of the ins and outs of the series. She is good people too, so i would go to bat for her in any endeavor. 

Good luck Tiffany.

Edited by Burningham
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello Tiffany,

I have a couple questions for you:

• Do you believe Champcar is moving in the right direction with regards to racing costs, speed, and ability for new teams (NOT new builds) to start racing with us?  If yes or no, could you explain why?
  • Can you tell me about something that has been decided by the board while you were on the board, that you specifically disagreed with?  Do you still disagree, or were you persuaded that the decision was correct in hindsight?
  • What is one thing you'd really like to see changed either in the Champcar BCCR or in the way the organization is run at a general level?  For example, classing structure, reliability item cost, direct penalties for failure to follow announcements (for example, people over the wall before being cleared by the even director during red flags), etc.

Thanks for your time!

Kris

7 hours ago, krispykritter said:

Hello Tiffany,

I have a couple questions for you:

• Do you believe Champcar is moving in the right direction with regards to racing costs, speed, and ability for new teams (NOT new builds) to start racing with us?  If yes or no, could you explain why?
  • Can you tell me about something that has been decided by the board while you were on the board, that you specifically disagreed with?  Do you still disagree, or were you persuaded that the decision was correct in hindsight?
  • What is one thing you'd really like to see changed either in the Champcar BCCR or in the way the organization is run at a general level?  For example, classing structure, reliability item cost, direct penalties for failure to follow announcements (for example, people over the wall before being cleared by the even director during red flags), etc.

Thanks for your time!

Kris

1) not really, speed and costs have continued to increase. I would like to see us move more in the grassroots direction, and be easier for people to get involved and be competitive. I am against this moving toward deep pockets win races.

2) I voted against making clutches, flywheels, or most anything else free points.

3) I'd really like to see more trophies and winnings for more class wins, and top 5, especially if we assign classes by points. I'd like to see more comradery and less conflict. It needs to be good quality competition, but also fun.   I want to see teams reminded to be absolutely safe, but I don't want our club to work like parents scolding children, we are all adults and need to be addressed as such. I do not want club members to get 'Lemons like' punishments and scoldings.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

Hey Tiffany,

Here are my questions:

image.png

1) I believe any rulebook reviews and petitions should be first vetted through the TAC and Tech & CEO. Then the Board reviews , makes suggestions and can approves the items. Big picture focus.

2)I wish I knew a way to make racing cheaper, it can be an expensive endeavor even at the grassroots level. However, I think as a Board we can cap some of the cost, by capping the advantages that big money teams can get with their wallet.

3) We've come a long way all ready, but regularly planned Board Meetings monthly, and possibly a quarterly meeting between, Tech, Tac, CEO and BOD could help facilitate open communication and information between all. Then sharing this information with members that want to know, and also bringing up member feedback at meeting. Continue to encourage communication from members. I try to talk as many teams and especially new teams, at each race as I can. I like to hear their story.

4) That's a tricky question, especially since the tech desk and all the component are relatively new issues. But I suggested Chris Huggins early this year, and since we got him rolling he seems to be doing a great job. I think we let Chris let us know what he needs to be successful.

5) I would like to help keep us all more organized, documented, and our decisions researchable. To make sure that tabled topics, get addressed at the next meeting and are not forgotten. I'm also good at mediating and coming up with outside the box resolutions, looking for the win/win.

Great questions Tyler! Thanks!

Edited by TAlexander
  • Like 1

Tiffany,

I have some rather pointed questions on some hot button issues from the forums.  While it may not be possible to be too specific (but appreciated if you can/will), I would like to hear your thoughts on the following:

Regarding classing, are you more likely to favor the status quo with some adjustments, a move to points based classing, or possibly a two tiered “Open” class and two tiered “limited prep class”?

What are your thoughts on addressing “fuel for points” or other fuel rules that would allow more fuel limited models another path to being competitive?

What are your thoughts on containing the (potential) tire “arms race”?  Limit or exclude brands, mark/limit tire use per weekend, limits on tire change tools/personnel, other or none?

Many have said “no more free stuff” and “we need to address speed creep”, would you be in favor of or consider a full review of points based items to the extent of rolling back some allowances (with enough notification/lead time)?

Thank you and congratulations!

Whats you take on free stuff when it's needed for reliability, example the Ford Focus have horrible wheel bearing failures to the point that you can't race on the stock units. Luckily there have been members that have done group buys on "super hubs" which are CNC custom units. Do you think that should be a free item or is that the cost of choosing that car?

First - a bit of an endorsement.

I've raced with, raced against, crewed with and coached with Tiffany for a long time now. I cannot speak any higher praise than how my experiences in all of those facets led me to build the team that I have today. 

I also believe that (and this is neither a statement of token-ism or sexism) that we need to continue to support women in this sport.  Tiffany's position on our BoD is unique in amateur (Hell, even professional) racing and represents the series well. 

Now my question - Tiffany, you continue to train and coach at all levels in the HPDE community and have experienced the good to the downright frightening while sitting in the right seat (as have we all). What are your thoughts about driver education/experience requirements for first-time ChampCar racers? Rodger addressed this in his platform, and I think it's an important enough topic that I would like the other candidates to comment on. 

-Dan

Edited by RocketHamRacing

I will take this election process to understand the series a little better.  As I understand it the TAC makes VPI recommendations to the board and the board votes on those recommendations.  A recent bewildering example is the Cobra being raised by 50 points despite it being mostly on par with other podium cars:

Did you vote for or against this?  What was your reasoning?

When there is a significant VPI adjustment do you think the reasoning should be made public?

Note: I have not been a ChampCar member for a couple of years so your reply will not affect my vote as I have none.  I do not have a Cobra (currently) so again your answer would not affect the VPI of my car should I chose to race with the series again, I am just interested in the perception of fairness and using the recent Cobra adjustment as an example.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 7:05 AM, craig71188 said:

Tiffany,

I have some rather pointed questions on some hot button issues from the forums.  While it may not be possible to be too specific (but appreciated if you can/will), I would like to hear your thoughts on the following:

Regarding classing, are you more likely to favor the status quo with some adjustments, a move to points based classing, or possibly a two tiered “Open” class and two tiered “limited prep class”?

What are your thoughts on addressing “fuel for points” or other fuel rules that would allow more fuel limited models another path to being competitive?

What are your thoughts on containing the (potential) tire “arms race”?  Limit or exclude brands, mark/limit tire use per weekend, limits on tire change tools/personnel, other or none?

Many have said “no more free stuff” and “we need to address speed creep”, would you be in favor of or consider a full review of points based items to the extent of rolling back some allowances (with enough notification/lead time)?

Thank you and congratulations!

Sorry for the delayed response this week took a nose dive lol

++I am in favor of continuing to focus on the overall win as the main objectives, as we currently do. However  I'd like to look at what an adjustment to the classes based on points would look like for our membership.  We have not purposed the break points that delineate classes, we want this to make sense, so we are currently collecting data this year to look through. I am interested to see how many points the majority of the field has. Are most team maxed out? Or are there a lot of team running vastly under 500pts. These will be some things to take into consideration. For example, lets say 90% or more of our teams are at 475-500 pts, then maybe the points based classes don't make as much sense. I think one of the biggest benefits to this change would be that new teams coming in, without the funds to max a car out, could still be competitive against other similarly classed cars. However, there are other ways to achieve the rookie or budget minded objective without changing the class structure. As a board we have been discussing all sides of this topic and all suggestions and feedback. However, if the membership is mostly not on board I am fully willing to listen to what you guys want. This topic started as a result of a petition, that most of us liked but, did not feel it was appropriate to make such drastic changes until more info could be gathered. Please send me your suggestions and what you prefer and why.

++Fuel for points is a super interesting idea, however, at the moment it was tabled for further discussion. I believe this could cause other drastic changes as it changes strategy for the entire field. Definitely, one of those item to only proceed with, once it is well thought out. I was a fan of this idea at first, until I though of all the possibilities of how it could be used.  For ex. several cars would need to be revalued VPI because their VPI is super low primarily bc of a small fuel capacity.  major overhaul of the system, I don't see a good enough reason to do that yet. But, I am open to feedback on the topic.

++I'd like to group the 3rd and 4th question together.  I think that the key to our success as a series is to contain the cost increase. There are many ways to do propose to do this however, they need to be reasonable to enforce. I think limiting tires in some way would be a good start, as long as you aren't compromising safety.  I want this to stay an amateur series, that is open to regular people like me.  That teams without deep pockets can still be competitive for the overall win.  That the racing is about the driving and strategy, not how much money you can afford to spend. There are many things we could do to make our series better, however the objective is that a change that is supposed to make things better, doesn't inadvertently cost teams more money and time.

I look forward to seeing you all at a track soon. Please don't hesitate to email me as well, tiffany.alexander@champcar.org

(Please forgive my grammatical errors, I could have never majored in English ;)

• Like 3

On 11/4/2020 at 11:14 AM, RocketHamRacing said:

First - a bit of an endorsement.

I've raced with, raced against, crewed with and coached with Tiffany for a long time now. I cannot speak any higher praise than how my experiences in all of those facets led me to build the team that I have today. 

I also believe that (and this is neither a statement of token-ism or sexism) that we need to continue to support women in this sport.  Tiffany's position on our BoD is unique in amateur (Hell, even professional) racing and represents the series well. 

Now my question - Tiffany, you continue to train and coach at all levels in the HPDE community and have experienced the good to the downright frightening while sitting in the right seat (as have we all). What are your thoughts about driver education/experience requirements for first-time ChampCar racers? Rodger addressed this in his platform, and I think it's an important enough topic that I would like the other candidates to comment on. 

-Dan

Thanks so much Dan!

I love the idea of helping our "rookie" drivers excel in the craft. I also feel that helping our newcomers is a benefit to us all. It allows us all to have better laps, especially if other drivers are more predictable and understand the expectations better. Most importantly it makes the race track a safer place. There are many things we can do to aid new comers without reinventing the wheel. The HPDE world is already doing it, so it wouldn't be hard to adopt a few practices that help our novices.

On 11/4/2020 at 8:53 AM, trigun7469 said:

Whats you take on free stuff when it's needed for reliability, example the Ford Focus have horrible wheel bearing failures to the point that you can't race on the stock units. Luckily there have been members that have done group buys on "super hubs" which are CNC custom units. Do you think that should be a free item or is that the cost of choosing that car?

The argument of reliability versus performance is a never ending pandora's box. I would like cars to be more reliable, and it seems like free reliability parts would be the way to do this but its not a simple solution. Free reliability items opens up the interpretation of what is and is not a reliability item; is a more reliable car not a better performing car too.... All the discussions about doing this have ended with,  racing costing more money, which we are trying to avoid. If you have the points to spare add the reliability items you need. Finishing the race is better than turning the fastest lap but, being broken in the paddock prematurely. If you feel your car's VPI is high, due to reliability issues, submit a request to alter the VPI to the tech desk and we'll take a look at it.

• Like 3

On 11/4/2020 at 7:34 PM, Ron_e said:

I will take this election process to understand the series a little better.  As I understand it the TAC makes VPI recommendations to the board and the board votes on those recommendations.  A recent bewildering example is the Cobra being raised by 50 points despite it being mostly on par with other podium cars:

Did you vote for or against this?  What was your reasoning?

When there is a significant VPI adjustment do you think the reasoning should be made public?

Note: I have not been a ChampCar member for a couple of years so your reply will not affect my vote as I have none.  I do not have a Cobra (currently) so again your answer would not affect the VPI of my car should I chose to race with the series again, I am just interested in the perception of fairness and using the recent Cobra adjustment as an example.

I do not recall voting on the VPI adjustment of the Cobra.  However, I do think VPI adjustment reasoning should be made public. 

• Sad 1