Rodger Coan - I offer to serve on the BOD

• Technical Advisory Committee

We are in garage 50 at Sebring with the dueling SC300’s if anybody wants to drop in and visit and discuss CCES. My team (Burningham) is going to be limited on time since we are down a driver so if we are busy just holler back later. 

Edited by Burningham
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 11:14 AM, Burningham said:

Listen, weigh options, make the best call based on the information available, put it out to the membership, explain our thinking when there is disagreement.  As a BOD member I would work to insist each person that represents the organization treat every paying customer (the members) with respect in every interaction even if there is disagreement or rules/procedure violations.  At races, in tech, on this forum, or on social media – no exceptions.

General point of view on the series:

Rules:

No favoritism, no special rules, apply the rules to all teams the same.  Stability is key so people can feel relatively safe the rug won’t be pulled if they spend time/money building a car to a ruleset.  Be open with the thought processes when changes are made.

That is an awesome attitude, did you want to answer my questions?  While I am not a current member I do still have one race credit so I will be a member at least one more time.

2 hours ago, Ron_e said:

That is an awesome attitude, did you want to answer my questions?  While I am not a current member I do still have one race credit so I will be a member at least one more time.

Ron, I have been either preparing for, traveling to, racing in with one driver short, traveling back from, and now trying to get repairs arranged for damage done in a race this past weekend. I knew your question was out there but too complicated to answer quickly like the other questions posed. Maybe tonight or tomorrow I can do it justice.

On 11/2/2020 at 1:14 PM, Burningham said:

How I would interact as a BOD member:

As a BOD member I would work to insist each person that represents the organization treat every paying customer (the members) with respect in every interaction even if there is disagreement or rules/procedure violations.  At races, in tech, on this forum, or on social media – no exceptions.

My question to you Roger and any others running for the board; 

1   Should members also show the same respect towards officials & staff at races, in tech, on this forum and social media ?

2   Would support a members code of conduct ?

16 hours ago, DEE DEE said:

My question to you Roger and any others running for the board; 

1   Should members also show the same respect towards officials & staff at races, in tech, on this forum and social media ?

2   Would support a members code of conduct ?

1. They should, but that seems to be a choice they have to make.
  2. No, I don't think that is something we can take on without it backfiring and running people off due to being misunderstood.
  • Like 2

Just now, Burningham said:

2. No, I don't think that is something we can take on without it backfiring and running people off due to being misunderstood.

Would I have to bow in your presence to show respect?

2 minutes ago, chip said:

Would I have to bow in your presence to show respect?

That would be nice, but you should do that anyway because I drive better than you.

• Haha 7

On 11/4/2020 at 7:35 PM, Ron_e said:

I will take this election process to understand the series a little better.  As I understand it the TAC makes VPI recommendations to the board and the board votes on those recommendations.  A recent bewildering example is the Cobra being raised by 50 points despite it being mostly on par with other podium cars:

Did you recommend for or against this?  What was your reasoning?

When there is a significant VPI adjustment do you think the reasoning should be made public?

Note: I have not been a ChampCar member for a couple of years so your reply will not affect my vote as I have none.  I do not have a Cobra (currently) so again your answer would not affect the VPI of my car should I chose to race with the series again, I am just interested in the perception of fairness and using the recent Cobra adjustment as an example.

The TAC was asked to review VPI of a lot of cars.  We discuss each one and arrive at consensus as best we can, but certainly not always unanimity.  I have been impressed with the guys we have on the TAC, very knowledgeable car people that I have a gained a lot of respect for.  The consensus was to raise this one and it was sent forward to the board.  We are an advisory-only group to the board, so they can accept or reject the group's advice and pass their decision on to the membership.  As far as me personally, I was against the adjustment without further justification, but like I said it doesn't take unanimous agreement and admittedly I don't know these cars well, some others do.  In a couple of examples the car has performed pretty well on track lately, but that's not the whole picture because good teams that drive well and build well and scheme well could take a lot of different cars and put them up front.  It's not easy, you are trying to judge based on potential.  

It's not fun when you get a VPI adjustment, (well unless it's down), but right or wrong this is far from the first time it has happened.  I was in agreement with the move last year when your car was raised, as we have already discussed previously on here, and I know you disagreed with it.  Three years ago my car was raised from 400 to 500.  It was irritating but we just had to dig in and find out how to get the stuff off we were taking points for.  Took some work and wasted expense but the car is faster at 500 than it was at 400.  But the board has to decide what the goal is going forward.  If the goal is to limit speed on the pointy end, then it will probably happen more.  That's gonna be hard to do and bring some of the newer cars in as well.  I wish I had the solution, but I don't.

Alrighty then, I can add "I don't know these cars well" to "It wasn't me", "I didn't have anything to do with it" and the incredibly inane "It has been proven competitive so it deserves laps".  This isn't directed at you but whoever is pretending to be the authority on the Fox chassis should pull their head out of their nether region as this is the third increase in a third distinct year on a Fox chassis car.  Surly someone could figure out what the number should be in one single year instead of jumping on the chassis whenever it manages to lead by half a lap or heaven forbid actually make it to the podium.

This is directed to you and I will ask again, when a car does see a significant increase in VPI do you think the reasoning should be made public?

11 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

This is directed to you and I will ask again, when a car does see a significant increase in VPI do you think the reasoning should be made public?

Yes. 

53 minutes ago, Doc said:

You should bow to me despite the PBR...LOL

Everybody should bow to you. Anybody that can have 10-12 birthdays a year deserves being bowed to. 

• Haha 4

On 11/10/2020 at 8:11 AM, Burningham said:

2,    People have already been run off sadly because of no oversight.   Many other organizations have a rule in place.  It's not just for members  but sponsors and potential partners also.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, petawawarace said:

Would you consider a 3 year rules freeze? VPI adjustment and safety changes excluded. 

Probably not, I am just not in favor of tying our hands like that.  But I am in favor of only making small changes that need to be made.  You give some of these guys 3 years no telling how far things could get pushed.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you to those 91 members who had confidence in me to vote for me.  Good luck to those moving forward to serve on the board. Good choices, we will be fine. 

Edited by Burningham
  • Like 7

24 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

You had my vote, and you'll get it again if you decide to run again. 

Thanks Rodger!

Thanks!  Now I just have to try to convince you to let me drive that fast family sedan.