Is a SPA Design Fire Sense Response 003.98 Fire Bottle System legal?

bjaspud

The tech desk Article ID #70 says "A current list of SFI and FIA compliant systems can be found here" then lists a FIA document  https://www.fia.com/file/112252/download/920

In that FIA document they list the "SPA Design Fire Sense Response Model" as having a homologation # "Ex. 003.98" with a beginning date of 12/98 and end date of 12/17.   

My question is .... Is this fire system Champcar legal because it is on the list of Champcar approved ' SFI and FIA compliant systems' or is it illegal because of the 'homologation dates' on the FIA document?   I'm confused. 

2020-11-05_11-12-59.jpg

2020-11-05_11-12-23.jpg

3.9.1.4 On Board Fire Suppression Systems shall be inspected for recertification at least every two years after the date of original certification or as specified by the certifying manufacturer. When a unit is determined to be acceptable for continued service, a new conformance label marked with the inspection date shall be used. In-field recertification is permitted, but ONLY by the original manufacturer or its authorized agent. Mailing of certification labels to customers is strictly prohibited. Systems shall have a maximum field service life of 6 years (SFI) or 10 years (FIA) from the original date of installation.

On 11/6/2020 at 10:21 AM, ross2004 said:

Needs re-cert 12/6/21, so legal until then. 2/2015 manufacture date (with FIA cert) means it needs total replacement by 2/2025. 

That makes sense to me. I came to the same conclusion.   

Now, here's the rub.  It an annual tech this year a tech inspector declared the fire system to be out of date and it needed to be replaced.    

How do I go about getting an official, final ruling on the legality of this particular system?   I am not familiar with the correct process for getting an official clarification of the rules.  This forum chat is informative but not official. How do I go about getting a ruling?   Thanks for your guidance. 

On 11/6/2020 at 10:21 AM, ross2004 said:

Needs re-cert 12/6/21, so legal until then. 2/2015 manufacture date (with FIA cert) means it needs total replacement by 2/2025. 

Can you tell me where you got the info saying that bottles have a 10 year life from date of manufacture (assuming recertification along the way) 

On 11/5/2020 at 3:11 PM, veris said:

3.9.1.4 On Board Fire Suppression Systems shall be inspected for recertification at least every two years after the date of original certification or as specified by the certifying manufacturer. When a unit is determined to be acceptable for continued service, a new conformance label marked with the inspection date shall be used. In-field recertification is permitted, but ONLY by the original manufacturer or its authorized agent. Mailing of certification labels to customers is strictly prohibited. Systems shall have a maximum field service life of 6 years (SFI) or 10 years (FIA) from the original date of installation.

7 hours ago, bjaspud said:

Can you tell me where you got the info saying that bottles have a 10 year life from date of manufacture (assuming recertification along the way)