2021 Official - Road America Spring - The National Championship

Bill Strong

• Technical Advisory Committee
3 minutes ago, hotchkis23 said:

Bahaha, actually we could grow the stable....  just make sure them boys bring their big boy pants and get ready to be given point byes and racing room from us courteous northern folk...

Looking forward to it. See you guys that Friday we hope. 

Road America Test Day and Garages

Road America Friday Test day is open for registration and Road America still have some garages available for rent.

Here is the link to the registration: https://roadamerica.motorsportreg.com/events/road-america-champ-car-friday-april-16-2021-test-day-146258

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, flytime said:

Sorry if this was cover earlier and I missed it but....

Chicane or no Chicane.  The supp's show no chicane. 

image.png.105bf28802ebf7ba2d51b7ab17efa00f.png

That's a standard RA map from their website.

ChampCar never runs the Kink.

ChampCar always runs the Bend.

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, frankrehnelt said:

What final drive ratio are e30s running at Road America. 

What is your expected shift RPM? I could tell you ours, but without knowing shift points it’s not too helpful to know what ratio others are running. 

3 minutes ago, frankrehnelt said:

We shoot for 6200 stretch to 6500 if needed on occasion. 

Wow, must be the pistons! 😜

Edited by farran05

1 hour ago, frankrehnelt said:

We shoot for 6200 stretch to 6500 if needed on occasion. 

If memory serves... the 4.10 will put you into 4th gear for turns 3 and 14 at that RPM, which is awkward... you want 3rd. BUT the 4.10 will give you a better spot in the powerband in 3rd for the slower 3rd gear turns. 

So there’s your trade off.

Obviously, if you are substantially faster / slower through the corners than my car, the above info is all wrong for you. 

Edited by enginerd

Where are the details for this championship written down?  I know the 2020 rules describe the national championship and how you qualify, etc.  What I am wondering is where are the details beyond that?  The rules say basically 5 races to qualify, winner take all, "win the race you win the championship".  I am going to assume, and that is where I am looking for more detail, your two finishes are added together and lowest number wins and tie breaker is season points?  Second tie breaker finish on first day, finish on second day?  Maybe this is all detailed somewhere and I just forgot where.  

8 minutes ago, Burningham said:

Where are the details for this championship written down?  I know the 2020 rules describe the national championship and how you qualify, etc.  What I am wondering is where are the details beyond that?  The rules say basically 5 races to qualify, winner take all, "win the race you win the championship".  I am going to assume, and that is where I am looking for more detail, your two finishes are added together and lowest number wins and tie breaker is season points?  Second tie breaker finish on first day, finish on second day?  Maybe this is all detailed somewhere and I just forgot where.  

In the past the tie breaker was finishing position day 2.

Also, how are the rest of the positions figured out.  For instance Mazda is paying for a class win for the season.  Would that be adding up total points? Or would it be just Saturday and Sunday performance? 

16 minutes ago, Timothy G. Elliott said:

Also what about us that are not running for the championship? 2021 rules another race within the Championship?

Maybe? In the 2018 championship race they did not give trophies to top non-contenders... they were there, but weren’t actually competing for any prizes. I don’t know how the other championship races were run. 

9 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Maybe? In the 2018 championship race they did not give trophies to top non-contenders... they were there, but weren’t actually competing for any prizes. I don’t know how the other championship races were run. 

Will it give us 2 races for 2021's championship?