2021 Official - Road America Spring - The National Championship

1 hour ago, Andrew D Johnson said:

Camaro vs Cougar IIRC. I have run every Pitt event since like 2016, but this was early than that. Bruce vs the Tigers Wood PGA guys. 

A few years later, the start of the Sunday WGI race was determined by a drag race down pit lane. 

We put @bbaker480 (as a crew guy) in the car to do that.   He saw about 3 incidents and a few pedestrians almost get taken out.  He said he got passed like he was standing still while doing the pit speed limit.

That is also the race where our buddies smashed into the back of us on the grid.  They had ls swapped their rx7.  One of the crew guys reached in to start it not knowing it was in gear....  that v8 actually fired and started and plowed into us.

Minor injuries for some of the guys in my car that were doing cool suit and camera stuff.  They got hit by the b pillar when I shot forward.

There were people walking in between our car and the car in front of us.  I managed to jam on the brakes quick enough to not hit them!  I believe this was right after I became a father for the first time and my reaction times were mythical (new fathers, you know what I'm talking about!)

Ah, good times!

• Haha 1
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ChampCar National Championship at Road America Additional event sponsor gifts brought to you by ChampCar Staff Member Dennis Morgan   Leinenkugel- 1 Hammock, 1Inflatable paddle boat w/oars

I signed us up for this race today!  Looking forward to driving at this course again, but the rest of the driver lineup has not been there before so we decided this would be our bucketlist track for t

I wonder if your BMW will show up to this one or if it'll blow the engine before it leaves the garage. Didnt you say that you were going to be on the podium in the fall?

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, Cam Benty said:

I raced there in 19 spring race. I have not spent any time in the northern latitudes for more than twenty years with a lot of time in Equatorial Africa. I had nothing for Cheeser land, a excuse me Wisconsin. I watched Nat’s team working and racing in the cold like it was a summer day. I was paralyzed by the cold. Teeth chattering, numb face, feet and fingers aching. It was brutal. 

I had nothing for the cold. My wife pack a few coats and an old fatigue heavy Jacket. None of it was warm enough. Best of luck and be prepared. 

I sit in the running truck and watch champcar live when I do RA.  I help work on the car once the snow melts and it's in the garage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, ABR-Glen said:

What makes you think there won't be MOV here? From the driver's meeting it seems like they are intent on running this race like any other except the starting order and who goes to impound. 

Haven’t watched the drivers meeting... what you describe would be incredibly stupid, so that’s how I know there won’t be MOV. Because it would be incredibly stupid... it won’t happen. 

• Haha 2
10 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I sit in the running truck and watch champcar live when I do RA.  I help work on the car once the snow melts and it's in the garage.

Thought crossed my mind from the moment I got out of the truck both days. Then you see the ladies in the pits with us ALL DAY and do not seem to be bothered by the cold. And.....the look The team would give me for being such a wuss keep me in the pits. They would question my manhood!!!

Driving with an all star team made the cold worth while. It has its perks.😉

Bandit better have some good Scotch. Strictly for medicinal purposes and to keep warm.

26944012-F4B8-4B74-AB28-00FD72680776.jpeg

Edited by Cam Benty
  • Like 1

Any teams north of Nashville will be given 2 laps so the teams south of Nashville have time to climatize. 

Premium Dudes gets 3 laps. Anyone who gets a slight sunburn in 30 degree weather, shows no sign of uncomfort needs to be BOP’ed for principal alone. 558FF3B6-7AED-4EE1-86CD-4EBFE90A3E13.jpeg.8b0dc1cf965b6b1b56be2ad6984a11c2.jpeg

Edited by Cam Benty
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
19 hours ago, ABR-Glen said:

What makes you think there won't be MOV here? From the driver's meeting it seems like they are intent on running this race like any other except the starting order and who goes to impound. 

it was said months ago there will be no MOV at this race.

• Thanks 1
On 4/8/2021 at 12:38 AM, Cam Benty said:

Any teams north of Nashville will be given 2 laps so the teams south of Nashville have time to climatize. 

Premium Dudes gets 3 laps. Anyone who gets a slight sunburn in 30 degree weather, shows no sign of uncomfort needs to be BOP’ed for principal alone. 

I have to drive twice as far south to get to the track as I would North to get to the canadian border.  50s it barely sweatshirt weather hahaha.

Edited by Ian
  • Haha 1

Point of clarification:

In the driver’s meeting video, Chelsea said “blend line violation” half a dozen times... for those of you unfamiliar with the track, this isn’t actually very helpful.

The pit out blend line ends very quickly, and you could ‘obey the blend line’ and still make a hazardous track entry by waiting until it ends and then merging left. Merging left at any time before turn 1 is hazardous! Stay track right into turn 1.

Even if you don’t cross the blend line, you will be called for a “blend line violation” if you move left before turn 1.

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 4
  • Technical Advisory Committee
17 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Point of clarification:

in the driver’s meeting video, Chelsea said “blend line violation” half a dozen times... for those of you unfamiliar with the track, this isn’t actually very helpful.

The pit out blend line ends very quickly, and you could ‘obey the blend line’ and still make a hazardous track entry by waiting until it ends and then merging left. Merging left at any time before turn 1 is hazardous! Stay track right into turn 1.

Even if you don’t cross the blend line, you will be called for a “blend line violation” if you move left before turn 1.

spacer.png

On 4/7/2021 at 12:57 PM, Bandit said:

Looks like the Southerner's might want to invest in some Carhartt's. 

spacer.png

Us Yankee's might break out a sweatshirt.

Canadians would be wearing t-shirts...

IMG_0005.jpg.1979188e8b229b309ce26b9bdb880ad4.jpg

Edited by mender
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 4/9/2021 at 4:49 AM, Timothy G. Elliott said:

I want that Scirroco! Nice cars!

That one was suffering when we put the cage in it. The previous owner was determined to complete a particular double jump on a dirt road but never did. After mostly repairing the mess, we ice raced it and still had cracks to weld almost every weekend.

After that year it got stripped and converted into a flower car-den.

Edited by mender
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, mender said:

That one was suffering when we put the cage in it. The previous owner was determined to complete a particular double jump on a dirt road but never did. After mostly repairing the mess, we ice raced it and still had cracks to weld almost every weekend.

After that year it got stripped and converted into a flower car-den.

I started racing in a GTI like I have now fixed for the guys racing it and was able to do the school's with it, then the GTI owner gave me an 82 Scirroco to make my own ITB out of, ran it for 2 years and 42 races before I stuffed a 1.8 in it. Bullet proof cars, My GTI is great, build what you know...

On 4/8/2021 at 1:30 PM, enginerd said:

Point of clarification:

In the driver’s meeting video, Chelsea said “blend line violation” half a dozen times... for those of you unfamiliar with the track, this isn’t actually very helpful.

Hes right and id add you need to stay track right through the exit of turn one not just into it.

12 hours ago, LuckyKid said:

@Bill Strong  Can we get links to the 2020 Swap and Tech sheets?

Done. Look at post #1.

I put the 2020 bccr. But I did it while on the road. Still need to verify it's the correct version.

• Thanks 1

Get your Road America Speedwaver now!

Follow the link. Input your cell phone number.

A link will be sent via text. 

Click the link. Take your picture with the phone. Read the waiver text. click ok that you agree. click next. and boom. done! Same a snap shop, or have it emailed to you.

Flip phones may have issues with this, and you may need to sign the waiver in person.

Show your speed waiver to the person at waiver registration window and they will hand you your gate arm band.

https://roadamerica.speedwaiver.com/qyuln

• Like 1

ChampCar Endurance Series

2021 National Championship at Road America

6e42d3b3-a651-4d73-9377-c81ed7b7aff9.png

Greetings ChampCar Members,

The National Championship 8+7 hour Endurance Race at Road America is upon us. First, if you have not read through the Supplemental Rules please do so here.

Please be aware that early trailer drop off, Thursday from 5pm-7pm, is only for teams participating in the Road America test day. If you would like to sign up please do so as soon as possible here. Any ChampCar teams who are NOT participating in the test day will not be able to get through the gates until 3pm on Friday evening.

Please PRINT ChampCar Weekend Waivers found here. Keep in mind, the last waiver page in this packet is optional if you choose to utilize Road America's speedwaiver process listed below.

Road America's Digital Speedwaiver can found here.

Anyone with a smart phone can click on link and fill out the form prior to arriving. Once you fill out the form you willl receive a text message with another link that has your digital signed speedwaiver. Once you enter RA you will click on the link in the text message and the speedwaiver will pop up on your phone, this is what you will present to the person in registration/security gate.

Virtual Drivers Meeting Video found here. Please watch the entire video and keep in mind we will still be doing a in person drivers meeting Saturday and Sunday to go over a few things at 7:30am.

If you are new to ChampCar, or would like a rule refresher please watch the Mandatory New to ChampCar video found here.

Pit/Garage Assignments can be found here.

Temporary Membership Bands can be bought at the Registration building for $20 for team support personnel. Please note, anyone going over on the hot side of the pit wall must be a ChampCar crew member listed on a team roster, this is done by purchasing a $50 membership online at ChampCar.org.

Minors 17 and under are free.

Looking forward to a great race weekend. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you for your continued support for ChampCar,

Chelsey Vickery

Event Director

Call/Text: 812.431.7716

I think I have fixed the online tech sheet for use with a phone. But you will need to turn your phone sideways.

54 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

I think I have fixed the online tech sheet for use with a phone. But you will need to turn your phone sideways.

A map of paddock spaces would also be nice since we will be there before any champcar folks and not fun to move twice.

Also we have two cars and show two paddock spots which is not going to work since they come in one trailer.

I know Chelsey is the one to talk to but you might be able to send it along.  Thanks Bill!