Tech Desk still active and answering questions?

Looking for resolution.   We had a tech question from Road America and are signed up for Barber race.  Two weeks with no response so we are running out of time.  Put in a new one today incase there was a problem with the previous one.  Looked up the old one and it's still in there but not actioned.

I'll help you a bit here.

The main SFI mage for all of the SFI specs and SFI approved manufacturers. their SFI approval change over time. They update them as companies he fail to maintain their SFI membership/approval...whatever they do to get the approval to use the decals.
https://sfifoundation.com/autoracing/

Scroll down to

On Board Fire Suppression Systems
SFI Spec 17.1 | Manufacturers | Products List
Effective Date: Jun. 26, 2020

ESS is now listed on the approved SFI list via the SFI website as of right now.
https://www.sfifoundation.com/wp-content/pdfs/manufacturers/17.1 Manufacturers List.pdf

The ESS system listed on this page is SFI approved.
https://www.sfifoundation.com/wp-content/pdfs/Current17.1Products.pdf

Now is your system one of these?

5 lbs. & 10 lbs. P/N 23L3S 2.3LTR 2 Nozzle AFFF System
                         P/N 50L4S 5.0/4.8 LTR 4 Nozzle AFFF System

Does your system meet the size requirement for the current BCCR? I'll let you figure that one out.

You will need to remove it so that our tech guys can weight it. But they will have to give you that info.

Since I am working on the 2021 BCCR and the fire system rule did not change, here is that...
But... confirm that it is the same for 2020 on your own.

3.9. ON BOARD FIRE EXTINGUISHER
3.9.1. ALL CHAMPCAR COMPETITION VEHICLES MUST HAVE A SELF-CONTAINED PUSH- BUTTON OR PULL-HANDLE FIRE SUPPRESSION SYSTEM INSTALLED.
3.9.1.1. Fire suppression systems must have SFI or FIA certification.
3.9.1.2. Minimum 5 LB or 2 Liter bottle capacity – either AFFF/FE-36/NOVEC 1230 –Rechargeable systems are highly advised.
3.9.1.3. Minimum two (2) extinguisher nozzles, one (1) pointed centrally towards the top and center of the engine, and one (1) located in the driver’s seating area. THIS IS THE MINIMUM. Be advised that multiple nozzles reduce line pressure and more quickly exhaust the fire suppression system. Competitors are advised to match the system capacity to the desired number of nozzles and area of coverage.
3.9.1.4. On Board Fire Suppression Systems shall be inspected for recertification at least every two years after the date of original certification or as specified by the certifying manufacturer. When a unit is determined to be acceptable for continued service, a new conformance label marked with the inspection date shall be used. In-field recertification is permitted, but ONLY by the original manufacturer or its authorized agent. Mailing of certification labels to customers is strictly prohibited. Systems shall have a maximum field service life of 6 years (SFI) or 10 years (FIA) from the original date of installation.
3.9.2. All on-board fire systems shall identify the activation point for the automatic system by a circle “E” decal. Decals available at ChampCar Tech Inspection.
3.9.3. Cars arriving at Pit-In or Pit-Out with the fire system arming pin not removed will be issued a 5 minute penalty.

I do suggest that you get a good system with plenty of nozzles. Fire sucks.

The driver was still in this fire which took place at Thompson a few years ago, which made us really clamp down on a lot of the equipment and the systems that were being used.

DON_3500ce (2).jpg

• Sad 1

Bill, Thanks for the info.  The Tech note said that we had to have a current receipt for the ESS bottle and it would be weighed and that would count for valid SFI.  It was weighed and met the target.  The difference was the tech person said we had to send it back to ESS for recert and the Tech bulletin said that we didn't as long as we had a current receipt and made weight.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, petawawarace said:

There’s been nothing asked on the ticket. How am I supposed to know there’s more info needed?

I saw your post and am trying to help get someone to reply to your ticket. I don't have anything to do with how the tech desk is setup or works.