General question about definition of 'OE' when it comes to big box parts and the materials they are made from.

This is really a materials change question triggered by the need to replace an end link on my 2012 Chevy Sonic. The original part is plastic, and a plastic part can be had, if ordered. However, both AutoZone and Advance would offer me a 'Dorman - OE Solutions' version, which they sell as the OE Replacement, is $4 cheaper, and kept in stock. BUT it's steel... Now this isn't one of the fancy Moog greasable fancy ones or adjustable, this is just a plain Jane $17 part, and probably the 1st one I'd find if on the road and had to sort it out in a hurry.

I THINK that this is just covered under 4.7.2 and is a OE equivalent part, but in the interest of "Rules is Rules" and to see if I interpreted the intent of that properly. I figured i'd ask the collective if it's reasonable to assume this is a no-point /non-nefarious intent situation.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ManhattanMcC
for spelling and grammar

If you want an official answer from ChampCar you can ask it here:
https://champcar.org/tech/

I would assume that an oe replacement part sold as part of the Dorman - OE solutions line would fall under:

4.7.2. Teams may replace any worn, broken, ventilated, impaled, defective, or bent-beyondall-recognition parts on their car without affecting their total points so long as it’s an OE or OE-equivalent part for that car’s specific model.

• Like 2

If we really start worrying about something like this we really do have some major issues. I would put that on all day long and never think twice about it. When I got and get a wheel bearing from Autozone some of them have plastic dust covers on the back and some thin metal. It doesn't really matter so buy what they have and your are fine.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, 55mini said:

I would not use a Dorman part if they gave it to me.................most are of very poor quality from my past experience so maybe it should be OESh......t

THIS!!!

PM me if you want more details.  Yes, the company I work for competes with them in some product groups.  I have seen the testing.....

3 hours ago, craig71188 said:

THIS!!!

PM me if you want more details.  Yes, the company I work for competes with them in some product groups.  I have seen the testing.....

I use dorman at work for folks that do not want or can't spend for delco/motorcraft, more then one time have I had to chat up dorman engineers, in 2 cases I caught something they got wrong.

Would love to hear more.

22 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

I use dorman at work for folks that do not want or can't spend for delco/motorcraft, more then one time have I had to chat up dorman engineers, in 2 cases I caught something they got wrong.

Would love to hear more.

All I will say here is they are a great marketing company.  They have a great program for pushing a lot of product out into stores (incentive monies) which is why you usually see it "in stock" to the detriment of higher quality parts.  IMHO, they keep their overall warranty percentage low by constantly pushing new numbers into the pipeline so most companies don't recognize the problem.  Years of fieldwork calling on shops have left me with enough failure stories that I would NEVER use an OE Solutions part.

BTW...Delco makes nothing, they are simply a reboxer (Motorcraft is a little different).  They are more selective about what goes in the box, but if it's for an application over 10 years old, it is (typically) an aftermarket part from a preferred vendor.

• Thanks 1