Absolute iRacing Newbie

ACME MFG

I'm interested in getting into IRacing, but I only want to be able to practice tracks to get a feel for the lay-of-the-land... so to speak. I don't want to get into racing groups at this time. Is that possible and is it possible to find cars that would handle similar to the style of car I would normally drive, i.e. stock E46 BMW 330ci?

You can solo test. Cars similar to your E46 would be up to interpretation but I think the ND Global Mazda Miata would be close, it's 185ish HP and RWD. There is also a GT4 BMW available but that is quite a bit faster than CC spec. 

Why are you not interested in racing with others? 

I encourage you to join myself, @mostmint and the rest of the CCiS regulars this week at Barber. 

Thank you very much. I would like to practice tracks that I want to race. So far most of the ChampCar teams I've looked into either don't do practice sessions or there are none offered. Jumping into an unknown car on an unknown track under possibly night or rainy conditions is not how I want to race. I figure if I could at least get to run a track (even if it is eRacing) would be a big help. At this time I don't have the eRacing equipment and don't want to invest if it does not help me improve my track lap times. eRacing sounds like fun, but I would like to at least get my feet wet before I try something much tougher. Thanks again for your help!  

I started in sim racing before taking the plunge and buying a car to go real racing.  Sim racing has helped me immensely in so many ways.  Some things don't translate completely, but overall I think sim racing is a great investment for any racer.  Reach out to me if you need help getting started.

After 9 years and 14+ event weekends in real life, I am now seven months into iRacing.  I had a fair bit of experience with Gran Turismo and Forza games.  I have in the past used Forza 6 to get reps in at Watkins Glen before I went there and yes it helps a ton to start 80% dialed in.  

iRacing has taken it to another level.  It really helps you understand how your skills compare to others.  Granted there are some unique elements to sim racing vs real racing, but it is a great tool.  I'm at a huge experience disadvantage to a lot of the guys in the ChampCar iRacing league but each race I'm working on closing those gaps.  

As far as which car to choose, iRacing does not offer as many choices as I would like at the speeds where we operate.  

I think the legacy Miata MX5 Global Cup car is a better fit than the current one, as the current one is way more tail happy than the E30 I've raced in the past.  If you want to improve your driving skills though you should try all the cars we run in the ChampCar iRacing Series as they are all different and will teach you how to be a better overall driver and adapt to the strengths of whatever you are driving. 

Edit:  Up until recently, my focus has been to get on a track and learn it with a specific car.  Having learned several new cars, and multiple new tracks, what I am now doing is trying to develop and improve a general set of skills and a process that I can apply to learn a track/car combo quickly.  

Edited by mostmint
  • Thanks 1