2020 ChampCar iRacing Series: Round 15, Barber - 11/30/2020, 12/2/2020

Rapido

As the winter nights draw in, and the motorsport season slowly comes to an end, we seek an extension of our racing by heading south to the beautiful setting of Barber Motorsports Park. The chariot for this tight track will be the legendary Pontiac Solstice. Passing here is tricky, so a good qualifying lap will be key.

I hope everyone had a peaceful Thanksgiving, and is looking forward to getting back on the virtual track with the CCiS.

Session Details

• Practice Round: Monday, 30-November-2020
  • Championship Round: Wednesday, 2-December-2020
  • Practice Start: 7:00pm ET
  • Qualifying Start: 9:00pm ET
  • Race Start: 10:00pm ET
  • Car: Pontiac Solstice
  • Track: Barber Motorsports Park - Full Course
  • In-Sim Session Date: Saturday, 6-December-2020
  • In-Sim Session Start Time: 1:00pm
  • In-Sim Time Multiplier: 1x
  • Weather: Auto-Generated
  • Setup: Fixed Setup with 4.3g starting fuel (iRacing baseline)
  • Fast Repairs: 1
  • License Requirements: Practice Rounds (None), Championship Round (>D2.0)

Useful Links

ChampCar iRacing Series - League Application

Discord Server

2020 ChampCar iRacing Series schedule

Guide to iRacing and Hardware

How to create your own iRacing paints

iRacing Tips and Resources

• Like 2

Good fun last night!  I hadn't turned on the sim since our last race, so it was nice to brush the dust off the oculus and strap back in.  The understeer machines at Barber were more of a challenge than I thought.  I lost count of my mis-shifts over the course of the race.  Dipped two wheels off at turn 1 and had to run in for fast repairs.  Had fun trying to make back up spots.  Passing was really hard, had to set them up over a few turns.  @mostmint kept me honest, was sad to see ya eat wall coming off 16.  I almost made it back up to my starting spot...one more lap and I could of had it.  See you guys at Laguna.

• Thanks 1

Night before I ran a string of 1:46.x with a best of 1:46.4.  Not sure what happened overnight but could not match it - ended up qualifying P15 at low 1:47.  Gave up a couple spots lap 1 (typical for me - hard to push on the cold tires and brakes) but then got to work at making laps.  Had some close racing with several guys - all of it clean and worked my way up.  @Jab31169 passed me for P10, but I stepped up and hung with him for a good many laps.  I was doing all I could to keep up, but not overdriving just close to my max abilities.  On exit of final corner the RR just made it into the grass and I nosed it into the pit wall.  I didn't lift as I didn't think I had gone all the way off - oops!  I had done this - and many ways to go off - while practicing on this track and I knew what to do to minimize damage, but instead I froze.  So pissed!  Threw away an easy top 10 there.  Had to take a tow, and almost forgot to check the fast repair box.  As it was I got fresh tires since I forgot to uncheck those boxes.  Got to be better prepared for these contingencies.  

Still have a lot of work to do on racecraft, including doing laps at speed in close quarters when the guy in front is covering your regular marks etc.  

It was a good race for 52 minutes lol.