Wheel and Tire combo weight advice

Looking for some advice on this situation.

Right now we are looking for a wheel/tire setup for the s10. Final weight of the truck will be 2700ishlbs.

Was trying to get a 17x9 setup on black friday sale, but out of stock with no timeline to restock, so back to looking at options. Our situation we are looking for a 0offset/low offset in 5x114.3.  The 17x9 weighted 21-22lbs, but looked at making the jump to 18x11 or a 18x10. Tire weights would be about a 1lb difference according to hankookmotorsports.com for RS-4s (comparing 255/40/17 to 275/35/18). So looking at 3-4lbs per corner. Rim looking at is Cosmis Racing XT206R

image.png.29c2cfae448b2ff1e578caa5d8e77a5f.png

Tire costs go up for 18s, but so does width, would those negate each other when it comes to race wear? Depending on brand, some say they get more hours from wider tires, so that would help drive down average cost per hour of use. Looking into running Federal 595rr-rs as well. Almost half the cost of the RS-4s, with decent reviews.

Edited by mgoblue06
2 hours ago, mgoblue06 said:

Looking for some advice on this situation.

Right now we are looking for a wheel/tire setup for the s10. Final weight of the truck will be 2700ishlbs.

Was trying to get a 17x9 setup on black friday sale, but out of stock with no timeline to restock, so back to looking at options. Our situation we are looking for a 0offset/low offset in 5x114.3.  The 17x9 weighted 21-22lbs, but looked at making the jump to 18x11 or a 18x10. Tire weights would be about a 1lb difference according to hankookmotorsports.com for RS-4s (comparing 255/40/17 to 275/35/18). So looking at 3-4lbs per corner. Rim looking at is Cosmis Racing XT206R

image.png.29c2cfae448b2ff1e578caa5d8e77a5f.png

Tire costs go up for 18s, but so does width, would those negate each other when it comes to race wear? Depending on brand, some say they get more hours from wider tires, so that would help drive down average cost per hour of use. Looking into running Federal 595rr-rs as well. Almost half the cost of the RS-4s, with decent reviews.

I love the Federal tires! Though we run 185/55R14 on the Rabbit, it's much lighter and tread wear is 260 on these tires we did the Frozen Rotors Classic in October and ran one set all Fri, and all day Saturday, they grip and hold up very well for such a reasonable tire. Was thinking of running a larger 14 but then the treadwear almost doubles. Definitely kept racing costs down a set of 4 for us is just over $200.00 Shipped to my house and they are new tires date coded very recently!

• Like 1

Why run such a large diameter?

I usually run the smallest diameter I can get away with and a fairly wide tire.  For example, I am running 15 x10 wheels with 245 rs4 tires.

Is that truck 5 x 114.3 stock?  I thought they were 5 x 4.75 or something like that.

I am not aware of anybody winning endurance races with the federal tires.  Rs4 last a few weekends at least.

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Why run such a large diameter?

I usually run the smallest diameter I can get away with and a fairly wide tire.  For example, I am running 15 x10 wheels with 245 rs4 tires.

Is that truck 5 x 114.3 stock?  I thought they were 5 x 4.75 or something like that.

I am not aware of anybody winning endurance races with the federal tires.  Rs4 last a few weekends at least.

Clearance with c5 brakes is a crap shoot with 17s. 

Our RX-7 rear end swap uses 5x114.3, and is wider than the s 10 rear end. /9 we will use conversion spacers in the front to have a square setup instead of two different pairs of wheels that doesn’t allow rotation. 

Since we aren’t going to win our first time out, or probably ever, we are gonna use the Federal’s to get our feet wet in local autocross, first race, ect. 

Also consider the weight of the 18" wheel combo is 1" farther from the center for reciprocating mass. Basically an 18 wheel will take more hp to spin up with the same weight as a 17 wheel and tire combo. It will also resist rotational changes for steering more and feel sluggish. You could try the RPF1 at 17x9 is 16.35lbs.  Also, the Hankook 255/40/17 is 26lbs. The extra cost of $100 per tire for a tiny amount of extra tread just does not make sense long term as you will spend more money to go slower. I looked at it considering going to 275 or 285 in 18" versus 255 in 17 and the math still not work out.

1 hour ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

Also consider the weight of the 18" wheel combo is 1" farther from the center for reciprocating mass. Basically an 18 wheel will take more hp to spin up with the same weight as a 17 wheel and tire combo. It will also resist rotational changes for steering more and feel sluggish. You could try the RPF1 at 17x9 is 16.35lbs.  Also, the Hankook 255/40/17 is 26lbs. The extra cost of $100 per tire for a tiny amount of extra tread just does not make sense long term as you will spend more money to go slower. I looked at it considering going to 275 or 285 in 18" versus 255 in 17 and the math still not work out.

They have 31lbs for the 255 right on the Hankook Motorsports site. 

I’ll keep looking at specs and see what works out. 17x9/255 might be the way to go. 

Or just blow 100 points on boost and have fun 😂😂😂 Thats what our team is going to be all about, having fun, and trying to finish. Haha