2020 HMSmotorsport.com Grand Prix - VIR North Course

https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/

Saturday's HMSmotorsport.com Grand Prix - North Course winner "Pinkies Out Swap" takes the checkered at Virginia International Raceway.

IMG_7652.JPG

Official Race Results here

Just got a note that Saturday's HMSmotorsport.com Grand Prix - North Course winner "Pinkies Out Swap" #246 is out for Sunday's race as they have a cracked strut tower. Supposedly duct tape won't fix it.

NLS Racing #977 VIR North Course 2020 Race Report:

After a quick turn around from our AMP race with a holiday sprinkled in there, we were chomping at the bit for a good result. The race began on a cold, damp track and our car is not friendly with such conditions. Our goal was to make it through the beginning of the race mistake-free, knowing the track was drying and would come to us. Unfortunately, we blew turn 1 early and found our way into the grass. Somehow managed to get it free and back on track. Somewhere around an hour in, another off-road excursion resulted in a broken rear toe arm. And wouldn't you know it, we didn't bring our spare sitting in the shop. Lesson learned. Those of you there, probably noticed our car didn't look quite right, crab walking down the straights. So we kept an eye on tire wear and carried on, praying it would hold on until the end. About 5 hours in, we were slammed pretty hard in the drivers side on a restart going into Nascar. Not going to call out anyone, but they were black flagged. They may have actually done us a favor because both remaining drivers reported that the car drove better. We managed with what we had and by the end, we found ourselves at impound in 4th. Under the circumstances, we were happy with that result.
After a little welding and maintenance the night before, we had some lofty expectations for race 2. Especially since the previous days winner was not there, at least not with the winning car. Sorry to hear about that @Huggy, but congrats on your dominance at VIR. Day 2 was underway and wiggled our way up to 3rd when our driver reported no brakes. Pulled it in and found the LF hub basically broken in half. We had our spares for that and fixed it, driver change, full of fuel, and away we went to salvage the day. Pressed on for a few more hours with another top 5 actually within reach, as we got back to the same lap as 6th-9th positions with plenty of time left. Our engine had other ideas though. Our driver reported a lack of power and smoke, and a pitstop later confirmed it lost at least 1 cylinder. We called it a day and packed our things and went home. We can't complain. This has been our best year yet. It's been a trying year for everyone around the world and we're just happy to still be here doing what we love. Thanks, ChampCar and everyone else who makes this happen. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from all of us at NLS Racing. See you next year.

hub.jpg

Edited by bigyellow
  • Like 9

#498 Donkeysport Civic:

After overheating our engine a few times completing 8 laps at Charlotte and having to put a new block in, we managed to run 13 laps Saturday before the driver lost power starting up the hill and by the time he made it back to the pits there was a very loud rattle coming from the bottom end. Haven't torn it apart yet, but think we lost a rod bearing. Sounded like the car wasn't very happy with the cold conditions but I think we could have been pretty quick after it dried off. Hopefully third times a charm and maybe we can complete a fuel stint sometime next spring.

20201205_093119.jpg

• Sad 1
19 hours ago, bigyellow said:

we blew turn 1 early and found our way into the grass. Somehow managed to get it free and back on track. 

The kids and I had just turned on the livestream when this happened. 400 miles to your north, there were 2 kids and a dad jumping up and down cheering when you got unstuck and made it back onto the track.

• Like 2

I was driving for the #513 E46 330i (Slow & Loud) team this weekend. Running saturday stint 2 and sunday stint 1.

Saturday:  Starting 9 laps down due to high points we knew we had our work cut out for us. Some early contact on lap one and then again on lap 6-10 put us in the pits twice to check over the damages.  After that the car ran great and we put in some consistent laps, working our way up to 13th I believe.

Sunday:  Sunday was quite possibly the most fun I have had in a race car so far. Had a great battle around the 30 min mark with pinkies out aero and the plan C porsche, then again around the 1-1:15hr mark with MT Pockets Probe. Racing was very tight and clean, hope to see you all on the track again soon. You guys made my weekend.

We pulled in to change front pads between stints 1 and 2, then at the end of stint 2 we had brake issues again which ended our day (suspect a leaking pass front caliper piston seal, possibly overheated from running low brake pads in stint 1).

Overall we had a great weekend, thanks to everyone at champ for making this possible even amongst the COVID restrictions.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tyler_j said:

Saturday:  Starting 9 laps down due to high points we knew we had our work cut out for us. Some early contact on lap one and then again on lap 6-10 put us in the pits twice to check over the damages.  After that the car ran great and we put in some consistent laps, working our way up to 13th I believe.

You had 3 contacts in the first 10 laps of the race?  What happened?

15 hours ago, QuaTTro said:

You had 3 contacts in the first 10 laps of the race?  What happened?

Actually just 2 , the second one was somewhere around the lap 6-10 mark. I was in the pits and still trying to shovel in coffee.

First contact was in the rear bumper going into turn 1 which put us in the grass, fairly light contact and driver came by and chatted with us about it. No harm done. It happens.

Second contact was in the passenger rear quarter/door, no clue who it was or the situation around it.

1 hour ago, tyler_j said:

Actually just 2 , the second one was somewhere around the lap 6-10 mark. I was in the pits and still trying to shovel in coffee.

First contact was in the rear bumper going into turn 1 which put us in the grass, fairly light contact and driver came by and chatted with us about it. No harm done. It happens.

Second contact was in the passenger rear quarter/door, no clue who it was or the situation around it.

Sorry bout that.....that was one of our drivers in 484 integra.....

we went back and looked at data.....he got a draft off of huggins e30 and had 4 mph more than he did all weekend at the end of the straight....and braked at the same point.....and it DID NOT WORK OUT!!!

he knock toe to almost 1 inch out and 6 degrees of camber....

• Thanks 1
Just now, turbogrill said:

How did it work? Any issues?

To be honest with you I don't really know.  We have used that setup for a year or two now and it works most of the time.  I ask the guy on the team who is in charge of the video. Cory Brown is his name maybe look him up on Facebook.

• Like 1