2020 Alabama Grand Prix - Barber Motorsports Park Double 8+7-Hour enduro results

Bill Strong

41 minutes ago, jpm71 said:

SUBLIMINAL RACING CLOSE CALL

This one could have been ugly.  Glad it turned out the way it did.  Coming out of first S turn, had a car closing with a run - the headlights made it easy to see in the mirror.  I glanced ahead to no traffic and started watching mirrors and giving a point by to make it known I wouldn't challenge at entry to next S.  This resulted in realizing way too late there was a stopped car on track.  Knowing I just had a car pull up on my left, my only out, if any, was to the right in the grass.  Locked up the fronts, let off just in time so it would turn and miss the parked car, turned back left and started sliding to an imminent contact with the guard rail.  Somehow missed it and came out the other side.

There was no yellow at the last flag station prior.  I believe HoChunk was full tilt racing and so was I short of the lift to make sure I could turn in behind them and not beside (video shows car top out at 97 mph, I've seen it as high as 109 in this brake zone).  Really can't say if I saw the car on an early glance and assumed it would be gone, or simply didn't see it until it was an emergency.

The Champcar live feed picks up on this car as it is slowing to a stop, so we can see how many seconds pass by before I get there.  When Tiffany A. mentions tire smoke, that is me going by, followed by dust and grass floating through the camera view.  You can then notice next wide camera view shows new skid marks behind the stopped car, and some tire marks through the grass.  This video starts at 5:32:50 in the Champcar feed.

Our live stream is poor video, but is a little wider view and shows my point by efforts - go to 5:51:45.

Blue Shells driver, were you watching your mirrors?  Curious what you saw/thought...

Barber close call - YouTube

TireRack.com ChampCar Endurance Series® Alabama Grand Prix 2020 Day2 - YouTube

Subliminal Racing Barber Champcar 12-13-20 - YouTube

I would just like to know on what planet that driver thought it was prudent to bring their car to a full stop right on the racing surface. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 55mini said:

My son Patrick was in the MiElan that you had just passed and we had a long talk about this "close call"

He was glad you came out OK and shocked the flag station only showed the pink 35, I am sending a long email to the BOD and All others with my thoughts and concerns on the issues we saw over the weekend......this could have ended very bad!

Frankly the pink 35 caught my eye before the stopped car.  HoChunk and I should not have been racing at that point.  It is the prior flag station where I wish there was a high octane yellow flag waving, but also think yellow should have been waving at the next station even though it was technically past the incident.

Patrick did a great job driving.  I was behind for several laps still learning the track and he was my rabbit.  I'd like to think we were similar in braking and turning, but do acknowledge hp made a difference.

• Like 1

Just now, Snorman said:

I would just like to know on what planet that driver thought it was prudent to bring their car to a full stop right on the racing surface. 

I don't know why the driver needed to stop his car, but the only critique I would give that driver is that he stopped on the driving line.  Other than that the track needs to do their part in alerting other drivers of the hazard.  Imagine if he kept the car rolling just beyond the hill, nobody would have had any chance of stopping.

42 minutes ago, TouchStone said:

I don't know why the driver needed to stop his car, but the only critique I would give that driver is that he stopped on the driving line.  Other than that the track needs to do their part in alerting other drivers of the hazard.  Imagine if he kept the car rolling just beyond the hill, nobody would have had any chance of stopping.

One of the rbank drivers stopped his car on the racing surface at Daytona a few years ago.

It didn't end so well. 

This is the car from the above video at Daytona in 2018

1.jpg.86696c3a9212e8870d29dc3de36d3120.j

I can't even imagine a scenario when there isn't enough momentum to the get the car off the racing surface. If there isn't room in traffic, you make room because it's far better than being stuck on the racing surface in a dead car. 

• Like 2

• Technical Advisory Committee
17 minutes ago, Snorman said:

I can't even imagine a scenario when there isn't enough momentum to the get the car off the racing surface. If there isn't room in traffic, you make room because it's far better than being stuck on the racing surface in a dead car. 

Especially where this was on track, it's relatively high speed at this point of the track.  You have time to go, uh oh this thing is stopping I better get out of the way.

Edited by Burningham
  • Like 1

I don't disagree stopping is dangerous but I'd like to know what the official safety stance is. Cause I've heard that you don't pull off track cause you might light the grass and then car on fire.

Also I saw someone driving backward to get to pit in Sunday morning.  I don't know how far they actually drove but it scared the poop out of me to see headlights moving toward me while going around corner 14.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, TouchStone said:

Also I saw someone driving backward to get to pit in Sunday morning.

Wow, hope they were not allowed back on track.  I didn't hear about that.

the pink 35 was good in concept

but had its safety issues in practice.

driving around for an unspecified time than having the pink flags disappear and suddenly be flat out racing was unsafe.

I saw one case in particular the front strait was missing a pink 35 and a bmw went ripping up the inside passing about 20 cars at full tilt.

a possible better solution would be to go from pink 35 to double yellow for a period of time than remove the double yellows for green flag.   At least when the double yellows come out, drivers can prepare to go back full green.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pink35 said:

driving around for an unspecified time than having the pink flags disappear and suddenly be flat out racing was unsafe.

I saw one case in particular the front strait was missing a pink 35 and a bmw went ripping up the inside passing about 20 cars at full tilt.

a possible better solution would be to go from pink 35 to double yellow for a period of time than remove the double yellows for green flag.   At least when the double yellows come out, drivers can prepare to go back full green.

How is going to double yellow and then removing the double yellow flags any different than removing the 35 flags?

Purple 35 works great at VIR.

Pink 35 didn't work so well at Barber, but as I understand it was their FIRST time using it.  I know they will improve with time.

Here are my critiques:

1. Pink is too close to red.  When I first saw the flag I thought it was red.  Purple is a better choice.

2. Barber has way fewer pull-offs, meaning the EV spends more time circulating the track.  They also have fewer EV crews.  This resulted in overall longer P35 periods.

3. Cars circulated at vastly different speeds, which affected the race disproportionately at times.  If the P35 was <1 minute the differences are usually negligible or come out in a wash over the course of a race.  With the P35 times reaching 10+ minutes, that didn't happen and cars were gaining or losing multiple laps as a result.  In those cases, the normal Pace Car would have been the appropriate call.   

I too saw the flagger at S/F taking a break during a P35 and no flag being displayed.  Unfortunate timing, but those are human elements.  VIR uses a Rover to solve this, but again, access at VIR is much easier than barber.

Barber was a fantastic facility and my whole team loved it (in the dry).  We will definitely be back.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pink35 said:

VIR throws double yellows before putting out the code 35 flag.  But to go back to green racing, they just pull all flags.  It would be nice if all stations would wave the green flag also...

• Like 2

There was also the miata parked at the top of 9, at least off to the side a bit, but still on track.  No Yellow at the turn 8 station and I went flying in with another car only to see them sitting there and having to lock up, let the other car by and jump behind them.  The next lap by, still no yellow, no 35 flag, car still sitting there....

I was less than impressed with the flagging in general at this race...

4 minutes ago, frankrehnelt said:

It was 901 Motorsport #901. We should have known better. Very sorry. It won’t happen again. 

I came on the inside of one of your drivers in the corkscrew, it was pretty close. I was on the inside line coming in pretty hot, didn’t have the traction left to brake any harder with at limit in a turn. No contact but it was close. Sorry about that. 

1 hour ago, frankrehnelt said:

It was 901 Motorsport #901. We should have known better. Very sorry. It won’t happen again. 

Well, there must be a back story because you guys are always safe and predictable and fast.  Not as fast as our minivan, but fast.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

Why is it every time we get home from Barber I wonder why rain lights are not required ??   Maybe I’ll buy one for our car in the off season 

Watching over our film from Saturday, I'm glad there's one on the back of our car. LifeLine 

• Like 1

I find the need for rain lights during the day races to be unnecessary. But I have a good defroster and good wipers.  And I find them more annoying at night and outright dangerous if in conditions like Rd Atl last February.