2020 Alabama Grand Prix - Barber Motorsports Park Double 8+7-Hour enduro results

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gallant Mystical Sh...  Racing had a pretty good weekend!  (GMS Racing)   No spins.  No real offs.  No contact.   Day 1....  Well, apparently the new build is maximized for dry run

So I finally had enough courage to watch what my driver did. His defense was he wanted to go straight to pit road......(never ever ever ever go backwards on a race track). It wasn’t nearly as bad as w

The Hong Norrth Supra had a bad day and a good day. First - Thanks to Burningham for the Friday night BBQ!!  Also thanks to the Champcar staff for a well-run event.    Saturday we were runni

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, 55mini said:

Well I watch that very same thing and it was a full course pink 35. He passed about 20 cars in short order.

I have a hard time blaming the driver who passed (except for not noticing every other car is maintaining pace). The Code 35 flags would disappear with no notice during both days of racing - one second they're there and the next second they were pulled in. The Start/Finish stand controls the front straight before T1 and there is no Code 35 flag displayed, and no way for the driver to know that the flag-person was not there. 

Maybe next year they can use a "stepped" system where the Code 35 is replaced without interruption with a waving yellow for 10-15 seconds before going to full speed. Last weekend could have ended badly for a car that  passed a Code 35 one second before it was pulled and waits for the next station while the cars behind are back at race speed. This happened to me in another series and resulted in a bad wreck. 

• Like 1

He slammed on the brakes when he realized no one was in the flag stand. He was on the radio right away pleading his case that he thought the flag had been pulled and he wouldn’t shut up long enough for me to calm him down. We had been calling the greens to both cars but we had missed a few so he took charge thinking I might have missed another one. Could have been ugly. This guy has a lot of experience so it could have happened to anyone. I hope the Flagtronics system helps with this and perhaps the code 35s will be actually 35. 

8 minutes ago, frankrehnelt said:

He slammed on the brakes when he realized no one was in the flag stand. He was on the radio right away pleading his case that he thought the flag had been pulled and he wouldn’t shut up long enough for me to calm him down. We had been calling the greens to both cars but we had missed a few so he took charge thinking I might have missed another one. Could have been ugly. This guy has a lot of experience so it could have happened to anyone. I hope the Flagtronics system helps with this and perhaps the code 35s will be actually 35. 

There is only so much holding back you can do when you are behind the wheel of the ultimate driving machine....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, revvhappy said:

I have a hard time blaming the driver who passed (except for not noticing every other car is maintaining pace). The Code 35 flags would disappear with no notice during both days of racing - one second they're there and the next second they were pulled in. The Start/Finish stand controls the front straight before T1 and there is no Code 35 flag displayed, and no way for the driver to know that the flag-person was not there. 

Maybe next year they can use a "stepped" system where the Code 35 is replaced without interruption with a waving yellow for 10-15 seconds before going to full speed. Last weekend could have ended badly for a car that  passed a Code 35 one second before it was pulled and waits for the next station while the cars behind are back at race speed. This happened to me in another series and resulted in a bad wreck. 

Our team and pit mates discussed this very thing too.  After the incident is clear, wave the yellow, then pull the flags.  You had to really be on alert the whole time if you weren't near the incident or if your team wasn't constantly updating you on the radio.  We talked to one of the workers near us / pit in about it too, but he said it was up to the track as to how the flags were handled.

Edited by CoachMK21

These threads usually wind down after a couple of weeks, so thanks again to everyone that came out to this event and hope you are like me and look forward to doing this again next year.  Merry Christmas to all of the Champcar family.  Peace out.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Burningham said:

These threads usually wind down after a couple of weeks, so thanks again to everyone that came out to this event and hope you are like me and look forward to doing this again next year.  Merry Christmas to all of the Champcar family.  Peace out.

It was fun for sure.   Not sure I can ever get enough laps to feel really comfortable at Barber.   Always fun though 

• Like 1