Learn me sticky, wide, 15" tires....

After doing a track day and about 14 hours on track this past weekend, my rs4 tires look brand new.  Granted,  1 of those days was in the rain, but Sunday was nice all day...

I want to test or trial some of the icky sticky big boi 15s.  What is available?

I have 15 x 10inch wheels and some 15 x 8 inch wheels if I need to go down to a 225 or 205.

Car weighs 2700#.

Can someone learn me?  

All of the experience I have on the fast tires are on 17s.  I have not driven one of these super 200 tires in 15s.  I am having a hard time finding anything bigger than a 205. Hence the topic....

• Technical Advisory Committee

@wvumtnbkr you already learned all you need to know without testing. 
205 is the widest you can get in a 15”

testing will answer: 205 sticky vs 245 RS4; and how well will the 205’s work on 10” wide, or do you now need a set a 8’s” or 9’s fir the 205’s?

18 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

@wvumtnbkr you already learned all you need to know without testing. 
205 is the widest you can get in a 15”

testing will answer: 205 sticky vs 245 RS4; and how well will the 205’s work on 10” wide, or do you now need a set a 8’s” or 9’s fir the 205’s?

Well, is a 225 50 15 advan a052 faster and better than a 245 rs4?

Is the 205 re71r faster than both?

Just looking for some experiences people have had with the sticky icky in 15 inch sizes.

I gots me some 8 inch rimz and some 10 inchers too.

Edited by wvumtnbkr
22 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I gots me some 8 inch rimz and some 10 inchers too.

Perfect. Once your testing on 205/8's stickies vs 245/10's rocks is done, learn me too pleaz.

2 hours ago, Max said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding.  You have 245/15 RS4's that are hardly worn after a race weekend, correct?  Isn't the answer to this question more downforce? 

I don't think so.  That would add more drag.

Free lap time with no drag penalty is good!

Haha.

2 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Haha.

Ever stepped on chewing gum? Well, the sticky stuff that adheres to your shoe certainly impairs forward travel. If it’s hard and no longer sticky, you’re fine. I think the sticky tires will only slow you down. My logic is sound. 

• Haha 2
12 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Ever stepped on chewing gum? Well, the sticky stuff that adheres to your shoe certainly impairs forward travel. If it’s hard and no longer sticky, you’re fine. I think the sticky tires will only slow you down. My logic is sound. 

Seems right?

I'm gonna try that.  Next race 500 tw.

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Haha.

Just seems like you're not getting the most out of the tires if they're hardly warn. I know it'll increase drag but you might be leaving grip on the table. You could certainly try other compounds though. 

5 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

After doing a track day and about 14 hours on track this past weekend, my rs4 tires look brand new.  Granted,  1 of those days was in the rain, but Sunday was nice all day...

I want to test or trial some of the icky sticky big boi 15s.  What is available?

I have 15 x 10inch wheels and some 15 x 8 inch wheels if I need to go down to a 225 or 205.

Car weighs 2700#.

Can someone learn me?  

All of the experience I have on the fast tires are on 17s.  I have not driven one of these super 200 tires in 15s.  I am having a hard time finding anything bigger than a 205. Hence the topic....

We ran about 8.5 hours on our 245 R-S4s in the Civic, had about 30% wear on the fronts and about 10% on the rear. 2050 lbs w/o driver.

Drive harder?  :)

• Like 1

I was making them squeal like little pigs sometimes.  

There is probably some time left in the car, but with the current setup I figured it might be worth a shot to put some sticky on there since it isn't hurting tires.

• Like 1

Some new options in 225/45 and 245/40 are available but not sure how they'll end up in the compromise of speed vs durability. Your car is also a lot heavier than the Miata's that are more common for comparisons between 205-245 on track.

Falken RT660 (looks like a RE71R clone, but available in 225/45 in addition to 205/50).

Nankang CR-1 (225/45 coming soon, but may be too focused on TT and AX to hold up in champcar)

Maxxis Victra VR-1 (available in 205, 225, and 245)

56 minutes ago, dpm5049 said:

Some new options in 225/45 and 245/40 are available but not sure how they'll end up in the compromise of speed vs durability. Your car is also a lot heavier than the Miata's that are more common for comparisons between 205-245 on track.

Falken RT660 (looks like a RE71R clone, but available in 225/45 in addition to 205/50).

Nankang CR-1 (225/45 coming soon, but may be too focused on TT and AX to hold up in champcar)

Maxxis Victra VR-1 (available in 205, 225, and 245)

RT660 will be sold in 245/40/15 as well FYI.

You can't trust tire rack for sizes, because they only show sizes they have in stock 

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I was making them squeal like little pigs sometimes.  

There is probably some time left in the car, but with the current setup I figured it might be worth a shot to put some sticky on there since it isn't hurting tires.

Work on that setup so that it is easier to drive it with constant slip angle FR and RR and we probably could have worn those tires down a bit more.  ;)

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, NigelStu said:

Work on that setup so that it is easier to drive it with constant slip angle FR and RR and we probably could have worn those tires down a bit more.  ;)

I didn't have any issue with that!

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Huggy said:

RT660 will be sold in 245/40/15 as well FYI.

You can't trust tire rack for sizes, because they only show sizes they have in stock 

You can already get them by the way. Just not from Tire Rack 

• Like 1

To hi-jack this thread a bit, during the usual Barber torrential downpour we had (2) separate instances of hydroplaning on the straights and spinning into walls with our 225 RS4s. In the damp we had similar pace to most teams but when it really started pouring we lost a lot of grip. I'm contemplating a set of rain wheels/tires since the RS4s water dissipation seems pretty poor. 

Should the answer be RE71R/A052/Star Specs/ or a specific rain tire like the continental? 

1 hour ago, cowboys647 said:

To hi-jack this thread a bit, during the usual Barber torrential downpour we had (2) separate instances of hydroplaning on the straights and spinning into walls with our 225 RS4s. In the damp we had similar pace to most teams but when it really started pouring we lost a lot of grip. I'm contemplating a set of rain wheels/tires since the RS4s water dissipation seems pretty poor. 

Should the answer be RE71R/A052/Star Specs/ or a specific rain tire like the continental? 

Re71 is similar to the rs4 in tread pattern. Decent damp grip but no hydroplaning resistance. Go with a dedicated rain tire. We used them in damp conditions at RA and did well, but in a heavy downpour at Brainerd they were awful.

We have never used such a tire, but we have plans to get some if we come across an extra set of wheels. 

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1