Learn me sticky, wide, 15" tires....

wvumtnbkr

The 245 rt660 sounds promising. I would also consider a toyo r1r 225 on a 15x9. Many complain about wear, I agree about the first 3-4 32nds but following that wear is good. No where near a rs-4 but considerably better than a re71r. Clearly they would respond well to shaving (never tried it). The 225 on a 15x8 feels a bit like a bias ply, I feel the 15x9 would help a lot. They also have a flat tread like an rs-4 unlike the arched tread of an re71r. Hopefully that means little setup change. I have a cut section of re71r and r1r if you want some pictures. Summary is the r1r has harder sideway and softer tread plies. 

On 12/15/2020 at 6:56 PM, enginerd said:

Ever stepped on chewing gum? Well, the sticky stuff that adheres to your shoe certainly impairs forward travel. If it’s hard and no longer sticky, you’re fine. I think the sticky tires will only slow you down. My logic is sound. 

You joke, but I read a thread just this week by some SCCA road racers claiming that running a stickier than SM compound slick added a 1.5s+ per lap to their miata lap time at VIR.  They were serious...

Edited by BollingerChump
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BollingerChump said:

You joke, but I read a thread just this week by some SCCA road racers claiming that running a stickier than SM compound slick added a 1.5s+ per lap to their miata lap time at VIR.  They were serious...

It would be really interesting to see what part cones from rolling resistance and what comes from temperature window. Naturally they go hand in hand as well as that rolling resistance energy goes into heat. Very interesting! Any idea if they were quoting best lap times or average?

12 hours ago, BollingerChump said:

Got a link?

Mark me down as a sceptic.

Edited by mender

The Falken 660's were going to be the new spec tire for our HH Miata's next year, replacing the 615's we had this year and last year. Unfortunately, while they are really fast, they also wear very fast as it's really an autocross tire. In any kind of warm/hot weather you'd be lucky to make it through an 8 hour session without having the tire basically come apart.

Edit to add: Depending on how hard you are pushing the car...

Edited by atxe30

On 12/18/2020 at 2:02 PM, wd6681 said:

It would be really interesting to see what part cones from rolling resistance and what comes from temperature window. Naturally they go hand in hand as well as that rolling resistance energy goes into heat. Very interesting! Any idea if they were quoting best lap times or average?

On 12/18/2020 at 9:52 PM, mender said:

Got a link?

Mark me down as a sceptic.

It was in a post about runoffs going back to VIR for a couple years.  The "private" SCCA members page.  No hard times discussion, just anecdotal claims..

I guess maybe if it was a totally different tire/wheel then rotating mass could've been a factor.

My guess would be entirely different environmental situation (temp, etc) or someone just totally couldn't deal with a bigger/better tire on the car (hitting curbs harder, more grip than expected, etc)

Edited by BollingerChump
  • Like 1