Turbos in champcar? How common?

turbogrill

• Technical Advisory Committee
11 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

So then a 250 pts 160hp car would not be as good as the 450pts 160hp car.

Maybe the smaller thank 160hp car should be 400pts or so.

I believe the performance modifier is set on this car to only allow a specific HP swapped into it. Having a 400 point variant with a smaller tank would throw the balance out of whack. An E30 would then be allowed to swap in an engine factory rated at over 215hp.  

5 hours ago, enginerd said:

Also, regarding the swap of turbocharged engine... as far as I know you get everything, engine and all factory turbo components and it’s 50 points. I haven’t actually inquired about this, but it is my assumption. 
I proposed a rule years ago (perhaps not officially but in conversation with Mike, can’t quite remember) that turbocharged engines should get a higher point value because of the tuning potential but this idea was shot down. 

It's only 50 points if the swap calculator says so (sometimes more than 50 pts like the 248 points for me to swap in the engine from an Audi 200 turbo at 217 crank hp awd), and that's based on the factory HP rating (no matter what technology is used to make that HP).

5 minutes ago, QuaTTro said:

It's only 50 points if the swap calculator says so (sometimes more than 50 pts like the 248 points for me to swap in the engine from an Audi 200 turbo at 217 crank hp awd), and that's based on the factory HP rating (no matter what technology is used to make that HP).

Do you have that somewhere official?  I was under the impression that swapping a turbo engine in was under the "ask tech" situation.

I could totally be wrong....

On 12/17/2020 at 2:46 PM, Snorman said:

It would be neat to run a Neon SRT4 in this series if it could get enough fuel. Mostly because we have a Neon SRT4 expert on our team with @MoparBoyy

Omni with SRT4 engine swap ;)  1800lbs, 300hp, 22 gallon cell...... yes

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MoparBoyy said:

Omni with SRT4 engine swap ;)  1800lbs, 300hp, 22 gallon cell...... yes

Do you think my Rabbit would qualify for that swap? Omni's had VW Stock 1.7 L in them in the day! Rabbit 2.o is going to Road America, but a SRT4 swap would be better! Lol finally got my Aero updates done, At least it looks faster!

IMG_20201227_104009712_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Timothy G. Elliott said:

Do you think my Rabbit would qualify for that swap? Omni's had VW Stock 1.7 L in them in the day! Rabbit 2.o is going to Road America, but a SRT4 swap would be better! Lol finally got my Aero updates done, At least it looks faster!

You can do any swap you want, they don't care what engine it is or what it came from as long as that engine is in a car on the VPI list spreadsheet....all that matters is the factory HP rating of the engine you are swapping in.  Use the Swap Calculator to see what your points become.

I wonder how many turbo failures come down to oil starving. I can imagine that in high g cornering it could be one of the first places to go away and or foaming/bubbles to show up. Those that have had turbo troubles ever consider installing an oil pressure gauge or logger in the turbo oil feed line? 

1 hour ago, mender said:

The engine would give up from oil starvation long before the turbo.

I would say that managing heat is the main issue. 

Right, what I mean to say is that the turbo could be experiencing starvation while the engine is not. I am told this is the primary advantage to a ball bearing turbo, it is more tolerant to oiling shortages.

On 12/22/2020 at 5:11 PM, wvumtnbkr said:

Do you have that somewhere official?  I was under the impression that swapping a turbo engine in was under the "ask tech" situation.

I could totally be wrong....

my understanding is that if the HP stays the same then it is the 50pt penalty but the turbo moves you up 1 class unless you're already in D class

4 hours ago, gundy said:

my understanding is that if the HP stays the same then it is the 50pt penalty but the turbo moves you up 1 class unless you're already in D class

Mine as well.  Swap rule states "stock induction system" as one of the components allowed in the swap.  There for if it is a turbo or supercharged engine, all that matters is the factory hp same as an NA car.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hotchkis23 said:

Mine as well.  Swap rule states "stock induction system" as one of the components allowed in the swap.  There for if it is a turbo or supercharged engine, all that matters is the factory hp same as an NA car.

The problem is the highly exponential nature of the swap calculator. Almost any good modern factory turbo engine is rated too high to make the numbers work. In my case even the lowest rated 2L Ecoboost engine would give me 3118 points, a 2.3L could be over 20,000 points. On the other hand a 2L Duratec or MZR is exactly the same basic engine, add the Ecoboost turbo which I designed and we make by the millions and I would be at 275 points, leaving me 225 to spend on suspension and maybe some aero