Official 2021 Sahlen's Champyard Dog at The Glen Test+7+7 Hour Enduros (Watkins Glen)

Bill Strong

• ChampCar Staff
On 3/10/2021 at 3:06 PM, Mark Hughey said:

Looking for some clarification on the Test Day sessions. The supps say "1:00-3:00 test session drivers meeting". Is this a 2 hour lapping session or a lapping session following a brief in-person driver's meeting or just a dreadfully long driver's meeting?

If I'm reading the other listings right, it's 3-5 and 5-6pm, so total of 5 hours of seat time?

Much of the wording on the Supps was pulled from previous years. We are not doing group driver's meetings at events right now. The information you need will be included in the Virtual Driver's Meeting video. I will record that and have it pushed out about a week before the race. 

Thanks,

Dana

• Like 1

Mark, I believe there is a typo in the Friday Schedule on the supplementals. Times and descriptions are not aligned. I believe this is how it is meant to read, based on previous years, with the Drivers Meeting and Novice School to be done virtually per Dana's note above.

7:00am - 6:00pm Registration Opens ALL TEAMS MUST sign waiver and get wristband at Gate 4A Registration Building

8:00am - Gate 2 Opens

9:00am - Tech & Registration begin

12:00pm - Test session drivers meeting*

1:00pm-3:00pm - Point-by passing test session

3:00pm-5:00pm - Open passing test session

5:00pm - Novice school*

5:30pm - Pitlane closes and Pit Gates locked

6:00pm -  Tech & Registration ends

Edited by cbhaywood
  • Like 1

The supps will be altered in the next few days.

also...

Special Updates:

1.  No one under 18 years of age is allowed onto WGI Property.
  2.  All participants will be required to show a state-issued ID to gain the facility entry armband.
  3.  Appropriate PPE/Face coverings will be required at all times while on WGI property. WGI/ChampCar will stop the event if participants are not wearing proper PPE.
  4.  Weekend memberships will not be allowed. All drivers and crew must be entered into the registration system for this event before midnight, May 25, 2021. No exceptions. The name entered into the registration system must match your state-issued ID. If your name is not on the registration list that we will give WGI, you will not be allowed into the facility.  No exceptions.
  5. Camping will be allowed.
  6. Entry procedures will be posted to the supplemental rules soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Originalsterm said:

Does this mean in the car as well?

sigh.

If you are sitting in the back seat of the race car in turn 8. then yes.

But a helmet in the car will do. A helmet on pitlane will do too.
Over the wall? Helmet, balaclava, face mask, medical face masks. etc.

2 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

sigh.

If you are sitting in the back seat of the race car in turn 8. then yes.

But a helmet in the car will do. A helmet on pitlane will do too.
Over the wall? Helmet, balaclava, face mask, medical face masks. etc.

Will ChampCar be selling special masks that I can fit over my helmet?  Asking for a friend.

• Haha 1

Special Updates:

Bummer! Was hoping the family could come to watch us race.

Is this COVID related and therefore might change if things improve? 

17 hours ago, MalHombre said:

Special Updates:

Bummer! Was hoping the family could come to watch us race.

Is this COVID related and therefore might change if things improve? 

It won't change. But yes. COVID related.

• ChampCar Staff
On 3/24/2021 at 8:03 PM, CoachMK21 said:

Will ChampCar be selling special masks that I can fit over my helmet?  Asking for a friend.

Yes. They look a lot like a brown paper grocery bag, but I swear they're actually masks......

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 2/25/2021 at 2:32 PM, DuncanDana said:

There's several parts to the camping question. There's the actual camping area along the front-stretch, camping in your paddock, and camping way out around the track. 

The short answer about camping over night right is that we don't know. Last year the decision about camping was based on Covid. The various restrictions with Covid are changing so there's no way to predict what the situation will be at this point.

The areas in the paddock that have been blocked out in the past were based on whether the track had another renter coming in after us. That also will depend on what happens between now and then.

We'll get the information for you as soon as we can get it.

Thanks,

Dana

Dana,

Any updates on this.  Called the track this morning and was told since this was a track rental, they do not have information to do reservations.  I mentioned past events and how we could reserve/pay security for spots.  With the Covid restart, they were unsure and are still referring us back to Champcar.  Please advise when you can.  Thanks!

Please don't call the track with questions. Always contact the event director via email. The event directors rarely look at the forum. 

This is the latest via the supps. https://champcar.org/register/supplementalrules/438.pdf
Camping: Self-contained RV camping is allowed Friday & Saturday night in your paddock.
Camping / Camper Hookups: If you want one of the 25 RV sites with hookups you must book it separately. $50 Hookup fee to WGI Security.

Contact Dana.Morrison@champcar.org

1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

Please don't call the track with questions. Always contact the event director via email. The event directors rarely look at the forum. 

Camping / Camper Hookups: If you want one of the 25 RV sites with hookups you must book it separately. $50 Hookup fee to WGI Security.

Contact Dana.Morrison@champcar.org

So...called the track to "book it separately" as have done in previous years.  They say call your organization.

Post made above - PM to Dana directly asking for clarification.

Standing by....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kevind43 said:

Auto racing now allowing spectators. I hope champcar and WGI allow spectators without being full members! Alot of local teams family would like to attend.......

Amen to that!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kevind43 said:

Auto racing now allowing spectators. I hope champcar and WGI allow spectators without being full members! Alot of local teams family would like to attend.......

Same here. Up to 7 folks in my family will no longer be able to attend. @Bill Strong any new guidance on this now that Cuomo has opened up spectators for racing?

• ChampCar Staff
On 4/14/2021 at 7:31 PM, kevind43 said:

I keep pushing this out, and it is important to remember this detail. ChampCar does not ever allow spectators. We are insured as a member-only club. We have no coverage for spectators, and if our event is classified as a spectator event the track rental fees increase dramatically because the track has to meet their insurance requirements for spectators. So spectator is a bad word.

We can allow visitors to purchase a one-time membership for the event weekend. This does allow friends, family, etc entry into an event and meets the insurance requirement for membership. I know it seems like just a wording thing, but it's an important detail to ensure we remain in compliance with our insurance contract.

For the Watkins Glen race, we have very specific guidance from the track stating that every one attending the event must be registered, in advance as a driver or crewmember on a team. ChampCar has to provide a complete list of all participants prior to the event, pulled directly from that registration list. This is the written directive we have from the track. If that changes we will provide an update, but this is what we are currently operating under. 

Dana

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

Regretfully, team Junk Player Special #500 VW Golf will not be able to attend the Watkins Glen race.

So hopefully, our spot can be filled for another team.

I have notified Chelsey, and you should contact her to confirm availability.

Will see you at Nelson Ledges, Mid Ohio, and PittRace though.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Old Guy Steve said:

Regretfully, team Junk Player Special #500 VW Golf will not be able to attend the Watkins Glen race.

So hopefully, our spot can be filled for another team.

I have notified Chelsey, and you should contact her to confirm availability.

Will see you at Nelson Ledges, Mid Ohio, and PittRace though.

I think there will be two more openings also.  FYI Chelsey is not the race director for Watkins Glen.

Edited by DEE DEE

We have some updated information about camping and the paddock area, and other cool stuff. So, here's what we have...

We are not able to take any reservations for camping spaces. All camping spaces will be first-come first-choice. There are RV style power outlets in the paddock. Once you chose your place, flag down one of the Watkins Security staff, pay them the required $50 and they will unlock the power box. Please have an even $50 in cash for them. They do not have credit card readers, and making change is difficult.

The rig parking slots in the garage area are for teams with a rented garage. If you've been to Watkins Glen before you know how congested things can get in the garage area. To cut down on that congestion please do not bring additional vehicles into that area. Park your daily drivers in the parking areas and do not crowd them into the garage area.

Tech, this important.. If you have not heard by now, the digital online tech form is now live. Team Captains, two-weeks prior to the race you will see a new tab on your main login screen saying submit a tech form. The link will take you to an online version of the 2021 tech inspection form. Complete the form and save it. When you arrive at Tech the inspectors will check your required safety equipment and you'll be done, just that simple!

If you have done this already, and you have a 2021 Annual Tech sticker, skip the Tech line and head straight to Registration.

What if you have a 2021 Annual Tech sticker, but you have made changes to your car? Good question. Simply update your online virtual tech form, save it, and when you arrive go straight to Registration.

Speaking of Registration.. Please take a few minutes and review your entry. Make sure your drivers and crewmembers have current memberships and complete all your payments. We can process things at Registration, but it slows the process for everyone. We'll be doing Registration in the garage area so anything that speeds process will be helpful.

Why are we doing Registration in the garage area? Because we are operating under restrictions also.

New to ChampCar? Welcome! We're glad to have you race with us! If this is your first time racing with us, or if you just want a quick refresher on how we run a race, please take a few minutes and watch our new to ChampCar driver video here.

The Driver's Meeting video for the Watkins Glen race will be out along with pit & garage assignments about a week before the race.

The information below is resent from the first email update, but it's important that everyone is aware of the regulations we will be operating under. Please read them and ensure everyone on your team is aware of them.

1. No one under 18 years of age is allowed onto WGI Property.
  2. All participants will be required to show a state-issued ID to gain the facility entry armband.
  3. Appropriate PPE/Face coverings will be required at all times while on WGI property. WGI/ChampCar will stop the event if participants are not wearing proper PPE.
  4. Weekend memberships will not be allowed. All drivers and crew must be entered into the registration system for this event before midnight, May 25, 2021. No exceptions. The name entered into the registration system must match your state-issued ID. If your name is not on the registration list that we will give WGI, you will not be allowed into the facility.  No exceptions.
  5. Camping will be allowed.
  6. Entry procedures will be posted to the supplemental rules soon.

We all know by now that each State sets its own regulations, these are the rules we've been given, so we'll just roll with it. We do expect the State of New York to roll out new guidance soon, but we anticipate these restrictions will remain in place so let's plan now to remain in compliance with them.

So what will it look like in practice? PPE/Face Coverings, that means a mask. Please wear a mask. If you're wearing your balaclava and a helmet, you're good. Otherwise, please wear your mask.

Drivers and Crewmembers. You can list whomever you'd like as a crewmember. Just sign them up as a ChampCar member and list them as a Crewmember on your Registration roster. We've had to do this at two VIR races last year and it makes things super easy.

We have a firm deadline to deliver our entrant list to the track and we pull that list directly from our Registration system.

And, as usual, please read the Supplemental Rules here.

We are extremely thankful that we can run the Glen again, and we appreciate you choosing to race with us!

Thanks very much!  

Your ChampCar Staff.

• Like 1