Tracks we no longer race at.

I was looking through pictures tonight from our past 8 years of racing in the series and it just made me think of all the tracks that we used to race that no longer are on the schedule.   I have fond memories racing at Brainerd International Raceway the same weekend that a legit drag racing org. was there that we got to sit and watch from the track side condo we rented.  The experience of Hastings getting to ride in "the bus" with George and hang out in the clubhouse on Friday night playing pool and shuffle board with all the teams.  Lastly, to Gateway, the race that we had an epic battle with Crank Yankers only to lose a rear end with a few minutes letft, pull off in complete darkness and watch as the grass under the car caught flames...I had the pleasure of being the only person on the team not to suffer from heat stroke and drove close to 50% of all time on track between the sprints and the enduro.

Funny story about Gateway, Jon C. showed up for about 5 minutes and told staff the truck thing he was doing was out of the picture and then he peaced out quicker than a snake oil salesman in the old west.

Was hoping people might chime in and share some of the fun that has been had at some of the tracks the series no longer attends in hope that maybe we remember the reasons why we had them scheduled to begin with.

• Like 1

Texas World Speedway.

It's halfway along to becoming a housing development now. Lots of history there. And we did 2 overnight races there, an 18 and 24 hour. 4th in the 24 was pretty good for us, behind 3 Miata teams.

We also ran Texas Motor Speedway back in the day. We raced both the full roval once and just the short infield section once. That race on the infield was our first and only victory. We almost repeated that victory the second day until our throttle cable broke with 2 hours left...

Michigan International Speedway

Raced there in 2014 and 2015.  2014 was the first time we went to such a top notch facility with huge pit stalls, tons of garage space and high banks.  In the pits the cars on the front straight were slightly above you.  It was amazing.  Apparently the roval was not amazing to the teams and we had like 16 cars in 2015.  I came across John C there and expressed my concern at the low car counts and he basically said it was not a problem.  We haven't been back since.

Mid Ohio 

Raced there on Monday in 2016.  Track layout is great, facility is nice though a bit dated.  For reasons I don't understand we chose a Monday in late April, as opposed to a Monday in late May or September which would have had better weather probabilities.  Even though it was snowing there two weeks before when we practiced we had fantastic weather.  We were told we could not get a weekend date there even though other newer series were getting the dates.

Roebling Road

We never raced at this facility but I recall it being on the schedule in the early ChumpCar days.  We did test there one winter and it is a nice facility - though it lacks a bridge to the infield so they literally would have to stop the race to let people in and out which does not seem practical for an endurance race.  

Honorable mentions:

Nelson Ledges was off the schedule 2014-2017 but has returned

Charlotte Roval was off the schedule for a year or two (2017 I think) but has returned  

Edited by mostmint
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Summit point.

Njmp.

Mid Ohio (as mentioned above)

Pueblo motorsports park

I'm sure I'll think of a few others that I raced at and we have stopped going.

NJMP was a big loss for us. Not sure why Champ can't get enough cars there but the other league can pull 100+.

4 hours ago, TimS said:

I vote for Lime Rock

Limerock is so damn short you just about get dizzy.

But in serious talk, I can see where Champ might have trouble there.  Small track = fewer entries coupled with being expensive and restrictive on when you can run (no Sundays) and very tight on noise.  No way Champcar is running there with the current 'don't ask, don't tell' type approach on Db limits.  Pretty sure they are restricted to either 8am or 9am to 5pm, nothing on Sundays.  That doesn't fit Champ's typical schedule.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Justin9 said:

Daytona Motorcycle/Car hybrid track the year Kyle Busch broke his leg.

Thank the lord!  We blew up the big Audi in the first 20 minutes and had to sit for 8 hours inside the track to start the long slog back home.

• Sad 2

Naw, probably the same like Indy.

Everybody got their fill the first year.  Those that didn't, raced it the next year.  Then, it is probably a combination of all of your points above.

Rotating yearly between Indy and cota should keep both races well attended in the future.

• Like 4

• Technical Advisory Committee

Buttonwillow

COTA

INDY

Thunderhill

Sonoma

All good tracks, fun to race.  The west coast tracks makes sense as much as I hate it but the numbers just didn't come around at this time.  COTA is just stupid expensive, they just ask too much for the track although it's one of the nicest facilities.  Indy I assume is the same thing but not aware of their cost but it must be a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burningham said:

Buttonwillow

COTA

INDY

Thunderhill

Sonoma

All good tracks, fun to race.  The west coast tracks makes sense as much as I hate it but the numbers just didn't come around at this time.  COTA is just stupid expensive, they just ask too much for the track although it's one of the nicest facilities.  Indy I assume is the same thing but not aware of their cost but it must be a lot.

So you think the cost of the race is an issue for COTA? You think more people would go if  it was $1500 instead of $2000?

6 minutes ago, Clifford Beisler said:

What the deal with Summit Point?  I spent a ton of weekends there as a kid. Would love to go race there.

I believe it has some safety concerns.  I know there were a few bad wrecks on Shenandoah and the Jefferson circuit.  Not sure about main, but that would be a fun track for sure!

• Like 1