Camber Plate Material

Gkuhn41

We are looking at fabricating some camber plates to replace the ones we have that are jacked up and no longer adjust without mild BFH assistance (Ill take what happens when you forget to tighten the bolts for 1000 alex)

Current ones are made from aluminum of unknown type.

6063-T6

7075-T6

Steel?

What material do people use to make these things.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Gkuhn41 said:

We are looking at fabricating some camber plates to replace the ones we have that are jacked up and no longer adjust without mild BFH assistance (Ill take what happens when you forget to tighten the bolts for 1000 alex)

Current ones are made from aluminum of unknown type.

6063-T6

7075-T6

Steel?

What material do people use to make these things.

Thanks

It depends on how your making them. Are you just machining them? Bending them, welding them?  That being said, Steel is the safest bet.  If your not bending the, then 6061-T6 would be fine too. 7075 would work, but would be extra $$$ that's not really justified IMO.

• Like 2

• Technical Advisory Committee

Without knowing the loads and the position you are putting them it its hard to say.

I would say 6061-t6 is a very common choice.  Unless a more exotic alloy was specifically called for, I'd guess it was that.

The primary advantage of 7075 is strength, but the strength differential reduces significantly as temperatures climb >350F

I'm assuming these are mac-strut camber plates up by the hood and won't see >100F so thats not of a concern.

With appropriate thicknesses you could probably use just about any material.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, petawawarace said:

It depends on how your making them. Are you just machining them? Bending them, welding them?  That being said, Steel is the safest bet.  If your not bending the, then 6061-T6 would be fine too. 7075 would work, but would be extra $$$ that's not really justified IMO.

Getting a hunk of aluminum draw it out and taking it to my band saw/drill press/belt sander/file. 

Edited by Gkuhn41
  • Like 1