Carbon Fiber in EC Car

Ok, so I'm about to start in earnest on the e34, and frankly the primary target is WRL, and SCCA. to that end I am going to do CF hood, Trunk Lid and likely rear doors(although those my end up S Glass because of "racing incidents").

Does this mean I can't even run in EC at the two events that occur at my home track annually?

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, gundy said:

Where does this exclude "EC"

"4.4.5. Carbon Fiber is not permitted anywhere outside of the drivers cockpit"

Another grey area we are trying to close??

All the rules really dont apply to EC unless its safety... thats why its EC

• Like 2

• Administrators

EC Cars have to follow the tire and safety rules, and we can exclude an EC entry based on a cars power potential.
If a team shows up with a classed car that is found to have Carbon fiber body parts, wings, splitters, or other aero devices, they will be required to remove and replace with parts allowed in the series. If they wont or can't, then they are assigned to the EC class.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

EC Cars have to follow the tire and safety rules, and we can exclude an EC entry based on a cars power potential.
If a team shows up with a classed car that is found to have Carbon fiber body parts, wings, splitters, or other aero devices, they will be required to remove and replace with parts allowed in the series. If they wont or can't, then they are assigned to the EC class.

OK that makes sense, so teams are allowed to race and not be turned away. There should be wording to that effect in the BCCR. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, turbogrill said:

WRL has a 'EC' class (GTO), and that has gotten out of hand for sure. Doesn't it just becomes a money contest at that point?

yes and no. the e30 i built is gonna end up in GTO (without CF body parts) and that's nowhere near as expensive a build as some others in that class....

hell GBU would prob land there as well.

cars/parts have gotten cheaper, and while some maybe not as blingy as some others, a P/W ratio is a P/W ratio.....you can build a crazy fast car for 50k these days (which by the way is the whisper # for the maroon NC Miata that tore up HH last fall....)

Edited by atxe30
typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

Yep. we specifically call out Carbon Fiber. But there are so many other high dollar, lighter, and stronger composites that you can use. I in fact have a few bit of Kevlar on my my Opel GT. 

It makes sense on one level to outlaw the expensive bits, but the downstream side is that it makes certain things more expensive.  Pretty sure I could spend less money on a carbon fiber wing than an aluminum extrusion to do the exact same purpose/performance.  I'm sure there other examples, sounds like Kevlar is one of them.

In terms of it being a money contest?  Well, yes it is.  All racing is.  I think you'd be hard pressed to find a race of any kind that a contestant doesn't benefit from having more money to put into it.  The trick is to find a group of people that want to spend similar amounts of money & effort that you do.

• Like 3

From what I have seen in some limited research carbon fiber wings can be had pretty cheap.

They can be really expensive as well, but that would likely be more the design than the material.

A line has to be drawn somewhere however otherwise we'll be seeing carbon fiber wheels and other bits.

13 hours ago, turbogrill said:

Why not just do material cost?

Or is the concern someone could do wing, splitter, airdam, hood for just 40pts? 

well if you are building it yourself ya!! laying up CF is no different than laying up S-Glass. since this is a builders series, in this case it really does come down to materials cost.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, atxe30 said:

well if you are building it yourself ya!! laying up CF is no different than laying up S-Glass. since this is a builders series, in this case it really does come down to materials cost.

I agree. But the BOD has rejected it in the past. I suggest sending the BOD a petition requests.

https://forms.gle/ds3wBsKFTUCm2rSN8