Electric power steering conversion??

Indysupra

3 hours ago, Indysupra said:

What pump are most people using? I have seen the Toyota pump used for the 2000-2005 mr2’s. Looking like it has a module that has to be wired in to get it to turn on. 

I know there are some others that I have seen used. Comments/thoughts/advice would be appreciated. 

I have never used it but some use the pump out of a Dodge Durango.  Like mid 2000's if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

• Administrators

1990 to 1998 Toyota MR2 also use an electric power steering system. They both have external controller boxes.  Just wire 12v and neg to it and it works. If you want speed sensitive ps then it needs wired into the Toyota ecu. It may take other inputs, but I don't know this.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hotrod said:

How many points is battery powered power steering?.............😎

DFCB329F-63AA-49C5-9EC5-8BF8E66BA3CE.jpeg.03d00197242c9acc1353c919bd7dd92e.jpeg

23 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

Curious, does power steering makes it easier to drive?

Depends on the car. My car is just horrible without it, the E30’s I have driven without it are fine without it. 

• Like 1

I've put a couple of these in some Hot Rods before doing one in a 57 Chevy now. Best new product that I've seen in a while when I installed the first one. Turn the key on & you have power steering. No pump, lines or squeaky belt. There are several different aftermarket units out there now. 

eps-200520a_xl.jpg?rep=True

We have Electric power steering factory in our car.  There are issue with it over heating.  With a brand new motor, it solved most issues but would still overheat at the 1:30 mark with our fastest driver. But after a 5 min break, it’s good for another 1:30.  Depending on the car, those aftermarket may have similar issues. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, turbogrill said:

Our old car became tiring to drive.  Peak lap time didn't change really,, but consistency went up.  I am in reasonably good shape, and would notice arm fatigue beyond the 1 hour mark.

Granted, it was a non issue until we put aero and big tires on the car.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, turbogrill said:

Putting a quick ratio power steering rack in my Fiero was the best mod I made, possibly because the stock rack was so bad.

The stock rack was 3.3 turns lock to lock. In a twitchy 93" wheelbase car that has rear bumpsteer and a predilection to lead with its tail lights when the driver isn't paying attention, one tends to be less aggressive and of course slower to leave more room to catch the car.  Everyone looped the car the first time we raced it. We were given the Spin Cycle Award. :)  Poor feedback and higher than expected steering effort was also a problem, and issues with the brakes didn't help us that weekend either. 

The new rack: 2001 WS6 Trans Am ps rack. 2.2 turns lock to lock, very linear effort to turn the wheel and good feel. The confidence factor went way up knowing that the twitch that meant flying elbows the previous year to catch now only needed a quick flick of the wheel for a correction. Go to 16:22 to see a correction that the year before would likely have been a spin:

The fatigue factor went way down because not only was the driver stressing much less, the effort to drive the car was much lower. Notice the light grip on the steering wheel; a nice Sunday drive. As a guess I'd say that we were probably 1-2 seconds quicker per lap just from that but I also made some other changes so can't say for sure.  It was definitely worth the 40 points that I got dinged for it (west coast).

A two hour stint was no longer a workout, in fact I remember one of the first stints after changing the rack realizing that I was almost an hour into the stint before I felt that first trickle of sweat on my forehead. Yes, I know temps in the low 90s with no cool shirt is no big deal for some but to me it was a noticable and significant change. 

I've had nine different drivers in the Fiero and not one of them said anything about the steering unless asked, which says to me that it felt so natural that it didn't get in the way of the driver driving the car. 

TL:DR - yes, it made my Fiero easier to drive. 

Edited by mender
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I installed an E-power steering drive from a Chevy Equinox.  It's a compact unit that can be had from lots of junkyard for 30 or 40 bucks.  An aftermarket controller can be had for another $100.  In the end, driver fatigue over the course of long stints is notably reduced. 

No photo description available.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ross2004 said:

Do you have any problems with it overheating?

No issues yet.  The car is a relatively new build but it completed a double 7 without issue as well as half a dozen track days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm enjoying this thread. the e34 M-Sport sitting in my garage has steering box with the M5 servotronic power steering...

Did few laps at HH just in street trim and it feels pretty good.

I'm now wrestling with the fact that pretty much everyone who's seen/ridden in it (including my better half) is telling me not to turn it into a race car as its too nice.

What to do.........

On 1/6/2021 at 9:26 AM, kcbhiw said:

I installed an E-power steering drive from a Chevy Equinox.  It's a compact unit that can be had from lots of junkyard for 30 or 40 bucks.  An aftermarket controller can be had for another $100.  In the end, driver fatigue over the course of long stints is notably reduced. 

No photo description available.

How much feel do you get with the boost?

Has anyone gotten a points decision on the use of the electric power steering pump in place of a belt driven pump?  Conventional hydraulic rack, just replacing the belt driven pump?  Trying to weight custom brackets vs custom lines vs something like the Volvo pump in a swap car ...

7 minutes ago, Gearhead_42 said:

Has anyone gotten a points decision on the use of the electric power steering pump in place of a belt driven pump?  Conventional hydraulic rack, just replacing the belt driven pump?  Trying to weight custom brackets vs custom lines vs something like the Volvo pump in a swap car ...

The BCCR says 10 points.

On 1/10/2021 at 12:01 PM, mender said:

How much feel do you get with the boost?

The feedback is perfect.  The controller kit that I use has an adjustment knob to vary the amount of assist the unit provides and, thus, the feel improves as well.  With my current setting, the car is consistently easy to drive (245 tires on a FWD platform).

https://epowersteering.com/purchase/product/diy-kit-saturn-vue-chevy-equinox-units

My only complaint with this kit is that the potentiometer that is provided is a much too large of a value.  I reduced mine from 100k ohms to 10k ohms to narrow the assist adjustment range. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kcbhiw said:

The feedback is perfect.  The controller kit that I use has an adjustment knob to vary the amount of assist the unit provides and, thus, the feel improves as well.  With my current setting, the car is consistently easy to drive (245 tires on a FWD platform).

https://epowersteering.com/purchase/product/diy-kit-saturn-vue-chevy-equinox-units

My only complaint with this kit is that the potentiometer that is provided is a much too large of a value.  I reduced mine from 100k ohms to 10k ohms to narrow the assist adjustment range. 

I bought a 2007 Cobalt SS unit with the idea that it would provide more feel than an SUV unit, but it sounds like I might have jumped the gun. I see their kit doesn't work with that one. Somehow that figures!

I'll have a good look at it when it arrives but I only saw that two main power leads.