Amazon Plasma Cutter Recommendation

• Administrators

I have a lot of metal to cut out of the new chassis and I really don't want to buy a ton of discs for my angle grinder. 

I am looking at possibly buying a no name brand off Amazon for $200. 

Any suggestions? Anyone have good luck with these things?

• Like 1

I'll say again, love my Hobart.  No, it's not the cheapest, but it's lasted well and I've more than gotten it's worth out of it by now.  Only when I need a straight-ish/square-ish cut do I pull out the chop saw or cut-off wheels.  Have had a couple friends who bought cheapo MIG welders which did fine when they worked.  Of course, both had catastrophic failures at inopportune times and replacement parts cost more than buying a new one, if you could get them.  I assume plasmas would have similar issues.

3 hours ago, MichaelPal said:

Chris Graham and I used air Tools to take out material for the new e30 build. Works a peach if you have a good air tank. 

Ingersoll Rand 429 Heavy Duty Air Reciprocating Saw https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004XOT3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_i_czn8FbFRNPVG1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

+1 on this!  Used it on both cars, that and a good sawzall in tandem gets a lot done.

• Like 1

I watched the dude who put in our cage work with a sawzall when his plasma cutter was sitting there. He hates sparks and slagg. He was like a surgeon with that thing. Ive since realized how much can get done with a sawzall both eclectic and pneumatic.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Gkuhn41 said:

I watched the dude who put in our cage work with a sawzall when his plasma cutter was sitting there. He hates sparks and slagg. He was like a surgeon with that thing. Ive since realized how much can get done with a sawzall both eclectic and pneumatic.

Wait, what is a pneumatic sawzall?  Can you post a pic of what he was using?

33 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Wait, what is a pneumatic sawzall?  Can you post a pic of what he was using?

A jigsaw is what i should have called it. Hed use it for making radius cuts or tight spots.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/apt-936?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KCQiArvX_BRCyARIsAKsnTxN_frMKWWEtIvk5s82N7gsYzFjRtVaa6mcCslU_orBKRvAqLtmkCXwaAtREEALw_wcB

Edited by Gkuhn41
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gkuhn41 said:

A jigsaw is what i should have called it. Hed use it for making radius cuts or tight spots.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/apt-936?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KCQiArvX_BRCyARIsAKsnTxN_frMKWWEtIvk5s82N7gsYzFjRtVaa6mcCslU_orBKRvAqLtmkCXwaAtREEALw_wcB

Whoa!  I have not seen one of those!

I may need to get one.

Thanks!

I would add that my plasma cutter sits in the corner and it is a good one, not cheap. I don't like the sparks and mess they leave behind and

you need to grind most of it anyway when finished. I only bring the plasma out for thick stuff and find a good old electric sawzall will do most

everything. If in a tight spot then the air saw comes out. The secret is buy good blades.

Tyler if you want a road trip you can use the plasma cutter anytime.

14 hours ago, 55mini said:

I would add that my plasma cutter sits in the corner and it is a good one, not cheap. I don't like the sparks and mess they leave behind and

you need to grind most of it anyway when finished. I only bring the plasma out for thick stuff and find a good old electric sawzall will do most

everything. If in a tight spot then the air saw comes out. The secret is buy good blades.

Tyler if you want a road trip you can use the plasma cutter anytime.

I gutted a car with the plasma, then next with a sawzall. I can say ill avoid using the plasma in the future..