single bend>>>>>s bend.

The S creates a failure point by allowing the bar to bend versus transferring the compressive forces into the hoop and/or A pillar. 

I see WRL outlawed them a couple years ago. They are common on Pro Touring and show cars that have little likelihood of being hit in the door and the owners are often more worried about style than actual performance.

If your hoop is behind your B pillar/door frame the proper way to do the door bars is to run them through rather than around if running Nascar style door bars.

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, petawawarace said:

I know someone who just sent pictures of their cage to tech because I mentioned the S bend, but tech said that it is fine. 

I don't think they are "illegal", just NOT a best practice...

Also, the entire system of the cage needs evaluated as a whole.  For example, an s bend that is FAR from the driver that also incorporates a straight sill bar is much better than 2 close s bends.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I don't think they are "illegal", just NOT a best practice...

Also, the entire system of the cage needs evaluated as a whole.  For example, an s bend that is FAR from the driver that also incorporates a straight sill bar is much better than 2 close s bends.

Adding verticals from the sill bar to the door bars, as shown in the "are my bars too close" thread, will help a lot. (That car doesn't have S bends but shows good verticals) As Rob says S bends are not illegal, the suggested cage in the BCCR actually shows them which makes me cringe, but rather they are not as strong as single bend.

Doors don't need to open in this series so best practice is to cut through when using nascar style door bars.

Edited by Bandit