Durable fender flares?

turbogrill

Hi,

Does the ebay plastic fender flares help in a wheel to wheel contact? Or are they just for show?

Currently have home made fender flares from spare material but they didn't help much when we had wheel 2 wheel rubbing. Messed up our expensive wheel and had to do change wheel (flat tire).

Edited by turbogrill

20 hours ago, ETR said:

They do not.  Not even a little.  Contact is at 3 and 9 o'clock anyways.  But hey it passes tech.  At least they don't slice tires and legs?

Maybe make sure slice my competitors tires :)

17 hours ago, mender said:

I used 1/4" steel rod to reinforce the edges of my flares, made quite a difference in how well they stand up to abuse. 

That is very nice!

• 2 months later...

Not to be a smart ass, but maybe all of us should concentrate on Race-craft and focus on being better drivers to avoid contact and not put ourselves or other drivers in that situation vs fortifying the cars.  Just saying it sounds like a lot easier solution and way more cost /work efficient.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smitham32803 said:

Not to be a smart ass, but maybe all of us should concentrate on Race-craft and focus on being better drivers to avoid contact and not put ourselves or other drivers in that situation vs fortifying the cars.  Just saying it sounds like a lot easier solution and way more cost /work efficient.

Until somebody else who didn't concentrate on their racecraft makes contact, cuts your tire ($$) and ends your stint early (#$&@%!). 

19 minutes ago, mender said:

Until somebody else who didn't concentrate on their racecraft makes contact, cuts your tire ($$) and ends your stint early (#$&@%!). 

100000000% this

Also people with great race craft makes mistake.

Edit: not that i am one of those (with great race craft that is )

Edited by turbogrill

19 hours ago, smitham32803 said:

Why not both?

• Like 2

• Members
On 1/15/2021 at 2:17 PM, turbogrill said:

Hi,

Does the ebay plastic fender flares help in a wheel to wheel contact? Or are they just for show?

Currently have home made fender flares from spare material but they didn't help much when we had wheel 2 wheel rubbing. Messed up our expensive wheel and had to do change wheel (flat tire).

The fender flare rule has nothing to do with wheel to wheel contact and we all know it. A metal or plastic piece does nothing. The rule was put forth to try to limit teams from going wide on tires without points and has been the worst rule failure I have ever seen in Champcar.  No one takes points and laps due to it! The only exception people try to bring up is that BBU vette has a widebody kit that is considered fiberglass and some call it flares. That was zero points until all their unclaimed items got added. They will be back to zero points again. The only people that put flares on and take points are ones with points to spare after they have done everything they want, me included. I had nice looking front flares that did like 2" and had to take them off and bend the lip to be within the rules and it looks like dogsh$t. When working events I see a lot of cars come through tech and the fender flare rule sure does make a lot of Champcars cars look like lemons cars and crap. We really need to be done with the fender flare rule and let people make their cars good looking. Reusing materials has made it zero points, but looks ugly.

Also- Talking with people 99%, well maybe 98%, think the fender flare rule is stupid, does not make sense and should be gone, yet we will have it. It baffles me why.

• Like 1

GBU claimed 45 points for the flares/body mods. It was on the tech sheet posted on the forum. That was before they had their total points reassessed after the uproar.

Instead of free flares I'd suggest tires must fit within stock bodywork.

255's on a Miata is ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

As  are 205s on a 3600 lb car.

Not familiar with an example of that.

Most cars, not all but most, will take a bigger tire within the stock fenders than they came with. G bodies came with 215's but a 275 will fit with the proper backspacing and zero flare.

Plenty of people howl about speed creep but little is said about the width of the tires some of these cars are running, with the ridiculous flares needed to cover them.

A couple of points. 

As Troy says, the fender flare rule has nothing to do with safety in spite of the fact many keep saying that it does.  You must have structure to totally avoid wheel to wheel contact that results in wheel hop, structure as in something like a rocker panel.  However, even then it is rare without one car exposing more of a wheel with steering input and a pretty good speed discrepancy.  

And then a counter point to the wheel width argument.  Many seem to think the wider you go on wheel/tire the faster you go.  True up to a point.  With most of our cars there is a point of diminishing returns and can actually slow you down by going past that point for various reasons; can't get enough heat in, bad gear-in, rotational mass/unsprung weight just to name a few.  I found the point that gives me the longest tire life vs speed by stretching my fenders to allow a larger tire.  We have been able to get a longer life out of the wider tires and yet the lap times really didn't decrease, but I'll take the lower cost any day.  I went one size larger and the car was slower.  But I get it, that's just my car and my experience.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bandit said:

Not familiar with an example of that

Our car, I get that you are not advocating stock tire size,s but its a example of how absurd oem tire sizes can be when raced vs available fender.

Back to our car, as @Burningham mentions, the point of overdoing width/weight is different for everyone, because of economic reasons, we have yet to find that point, but to force us to decide tire size based on rules rather then wear could possibly be at detriment to longevity.

Who decides what is overkill?

Want to limit speed creep? Cause teams that use fast wearing tires to pay with increased mandatory pit time when doing tire changes.

• Members
5 hours ago, Burningham said:

A couple of points. 

As Troy says, the fender flare rule has nothing to do with safety in spite of the fact many keep saying that it does.  You must have structure to totally avoid wheel to wheel contact that results in wheel hop, structure as in something like a rocker panel.  However, even then it is rare without one car exposing more of a wheel with steering input and a pretty good speed discrepancy.  

And then a counter point to the wheel width argument.  Many seem to think the wider you go on wheel/tire the faster you go.  True up to a point.  With most of our cars there is a point of diminishing returns and can actually slow you down by going past that point for various reasons; can't get enough heat in, bad gear-in, rotational mass/unsprung weight just to name a few.  I found the point that gives me the longest tire life vs speed by stretching my fenders to allow a larger tire.  We have been able to get a longer life out of the wider tires and yet the lap times really didn't decrease, but I'll take the lower cost any day.  I went one size larger and the car was slower.  But I get it, that's just my car and my experience.

Same for us.  235 fit fine for me, but last about 20 hours.  255 last about 30 hours and same speed.

• Technical Advisory Committee
On 3/16/2021 at 4:01 PM, smitham32803 said:

Not to be a smart ass, but maybe all of us should concentrate on Race-craft and focus on being better drivers to avoid contact and not put ourselves or other drivers in that situation vs fortifying the cars.

Meanwhile in the tuttle garage: 

Killdozer' speaks to current social unrest

• Haha 8

7 hours ago, Burningham said:

With most of our cars there is a point of diminishing returns and can actually slow you down by going past that point for various reasons; can't get enough heat in, bad gear-in, rotational mass/unsprung weight just to name a few. 

Sure. That is why we have yet to see a Miata with 335 Rival S on all four corners. 245's do seem to be common however on a car that came with 185's.  Hence, massively flared fenders.

Note-Concerning the "ugly repurposed flares". That's a choice by the team as they don't have to be that way. Check out the Daring Greatly Caddy, @hcsi99, and how he's flaring his the proper way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am going to weld/rivet/glue/ziptie parts of my door into the fender flares to try and make them more robust. Got hit during a double yellow last race, it's racing and stuff happens. Doing my best to stay out of trouble (because I want to win) but we all make mistakes.