Lift Pump Mounting

LuckyKid

I want to get a couple more lift pumps in the corner of the fuel cell.  How do you guys mount them in the cell?

It's a rigid bladder and there is a single lift pump in the middle.  It's a radium cell and only designed for one lift pump.  Should I just tee the outputs of the pumps to the surge feed line or should I run three separate lines?

36 minutes ago, LuckyKid said:

I want to get a couple more lift pumps in the corner of the fuel cell.  How do you guys mount them in the cell?

It's a rigid bladder and there is a single lift pump in the middle.  It's a radium cell and only designed for one lift pump.  Should I just tee the outputs of the pumps to the surge feed line or should I run three separate lines?

Lol. I literally just had this debate internally (in my head).  I’ve decided against multiple lift pumps for a few reasons.  

#1. More things to fail. There’s a redundancy with more than 1, but it will not really matter much. If you have  1 pump in each back corner let’s say, and 1 fails, you’ll starve a lot sooner and that will still ruin your race.  Maybe allow you to get back to the pits, but still ruin your race.  

#2. Pumps and lines take up volume.  My 15Gal cell is actually only 14ish and every little bit helps.  If you have a larger cell and need blocks to reduce volume, this won’t matter. 

#3.  I’m going to make a trap door style box that goes into the cell in multiple pieces. Made out of aluminum. Inside of that, I will have a hydramat attached to my lift pump.  The volume taken inside the cell should be the same or less than an extra pump. I’m also going to route the return line from the surge tank back into this box instead of just into the cell.  

40 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Huggy did some recent testing showing the new DW lift pumps already have a check valve, I suspect most all do or your car would have a longer cranking time.

Good to know, thanks. 
Factory pumps, yeah I can see that.  But if your putting an aftermarket one in your cell, I’d want to make sure it has it.   

Edited by petawawarace

11 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Huggy did some recent testing showing the new DW lift pumps already have a check valve, I suspect most all do or your car would have a longer cranking time.

I saw the thread and decided to order a pair of the micros, which should arrive shortly. 

The main lift pump Radium sent is actually a GSS342G3 (same as my feed pump), which is a 255LPH high pressure pump.  Is this normal?   The surge is designed to spill over through a gap into the cell, but the gap is about the same size as the feed hose, I am not sure if the lift pump would actually pressurize the surge itself.

Now I am nervous about using two low pressure lift pumps with a high pressure lift pump.  Rather than tee'ing the three together, perhaps I should just tee the two DWmicros and put another lift line into the surge.  

I'm curious about the desire for multiple lift pumps, pickups, etc.. Is it simply for redundancy? 

We run a large Hydramat in our Fuel Safe cell. We run an external 255 lph inline pump and there is a 340 lph in-tank pump inside of the surge tank. FWIW, the external pump died during practice at PBIR in September and was about a 10 minute swap to replace. 

4 minutes ago, Snorman said:

I'm curious about the desire for multiple lift pumps, pickups, etc.. Is it simply for redundancy? 

We run a large Hydramat in our Fuel Safe cell. We run an external 255 lph inline pump and there is a 340 lph in-tank pump inside of the surge tank. FWIW, the external pump died during practice at PBIR in September and was about a 10 minute swap to replace. 

@Snorman are you happy with your brand of 255 lph external pump? Brand?

Just now, tneker said:

@Snorman are you happy with your brand of 255 lph external pump? Brand?

We're running an FI Tech. It's nothing special. Worth noting that it died after over two years of racing, testing, etc.. 

https://fitechefi.com/product/255lph-in-line-fuel-pump/

There are a number of choices for an external pump, but we stuck with this one since that's what we have and it makes swapping them out very simple. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Snorman said:

The goal is redundancy.  It seems like the aftermarket pumps fail often. I would hate for one to wreck our race.