Transponders

So looking to buy a transponder and the whole subscription thing is starting to scramble my brain.

The new Mylaps transponders that "require" a subscription is that to just the app and other telemetry or for them to function at all? Like if you dont have a current subscription will they not count your laps while on track? Cause $160 is way more palatable than $500+

25 minutes ago, YoKramer said:

So looking to buy a transponder and the whole subscription thing is starting to scramble my brain.

The new Mylaps transponders that "require" a subscription is that to just the app and other telemetry or for them to function at all? Like if you don't have a current subscription will they not count your laps while on track? Cause $160 is way more palatable than $500+

Correct. If your subscription is not up-to-date, it will not function/count laps. I've seen MyLaps made an update to have a "lifetime" subscription as it were. @ $519/pc for a rechargeable. Occasionally, an older style comes up for sale, but they command a similar price premium. I prefer the kind that doesn't require charging. Just one less thing for my brain to remember...

Champcar also rents them @ $50/race weekend.

Edited by MichaelPal
rental info.
  • Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee
5 minutes ago, MichaelPal said:

Correct. If your subscription is not up-to-date, it will not function/count laps. I've seen MyLaps made an update to have a "lifetime" subscription as it were. @ $519/pc for a rechargeable. Occasionally, an older style comes up for sale, but they command a similar price premium. I prefer the kind that doesn't require charging. Just one less thing for my brain to remember...

Champcar also rents them @ $50/race weekend.

I rented for a few years, then bought one in a group-buy for ~$400. It has paid for itself and then over again multiple times by now. I too like the hardwired versions. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, YoKramer said:

Awesome thanks for the info guys. Now to figure out which way we want to go. The wired option for sure sounds like the way to go.

Old-school hardwired one, check the Mastif one dude and find his Facebook page and stalk it, yeah you’ll spend good money, but it’s worth it as they never seem to lose value.

Transponders are such a scam.  Once the MyLaps patent expires in 2023 I expect transponders to become cheap.

The current transponders have about $5 in electronics and a really nice molded plastic case.  The whole subscription thing is just them trying to grab as much revenue as possible before they no longer have market exclusivity.

• Like 4