2021 ChampCar iRacing Series: Pre-Season Event - Bathurst

Welcome to 2021, and kicking off the season with a fun "get-to-know-you" event where we're trying something a bit different. The race will feature two cars, but grouped together in the same class. Based upon some testing and some Excel problem solving (workings below), by restricting the Mustang to 3 pit stops with a limited starting fill and tank capacity, they are projected to finish the race 22s ahead of a non-stopping Mazda ND. With a bit of tire degradation, traffic, and pit-entry, this difference may well be a lot closer. 

Only one way to find out!

image.png.7cb1e3d6b63f512b481aa76d293ee851.png

Session Details

• Date: Wednesday, 27-January-20210.
  • Practice Start: 7:00pm ET
  • Qualifying Start: 9:00pm ET
  • Race Start: 9:20pm ET
  • Cars: Ford Mustang FR500s, Global Mazda Miata Cup (ND)
  • Track: Mount Panorama
  • Weather: iRacing Default
  • Time of Day: Afternoon
  • Fixed Setup: Mustang (iRacing Baseline with 2.1g starting fuel), Miata (iRacing Baseline with 6.3g starting fuel)
  • Fuel Restriction: Mustang (15%), Miata (100%)
  • Fast Repairs: 4
  • License Requirements: None

Useful Links

ChampCar iRacing Series - League Application

Discord Server

2021 ChampCar iRacing Series schedule

Guide to iRacing and Hardware

How to create your own iRacing paints

iRacing Tips and Resources

Expected the faster drivers to all take the Mustang and do the refueling shuffle.  Didn't happen that way.  Still we had 4 MX5 and 3 Mustangs.  With the MX5 and limited practice I qualified with a low 2:38 and that was P7 - er - last. 

I kept the car clean and moving forward and that netted me three positions.  There was some back and forth with a couple Mustangs as they would come by in between pit stops.  The P3 Mustang had an early penalty for jumping the start which forced him to stretch four laps of fuel for five laps at the end. I gained a bunch of time in the last 1/3 of the last lap but came up 4 seconds short of P3 as he coasted over the start finish. 

Fun race 

I like the concept, maybe try with 1 or 2 fewer stops for the fast car but with a power adjustment or weight penalty to make the theoretical finish time the same for both?? Pitting every 4 laps was a bit much for me at least. Thanks for setting this all up!