Telemetry, laptimer, dash

wvumtnbkr

It looks like the racecapture pro mk3 does all of these things.

Anybody have experience with this setup?

I would use whatever tablet is recommended.

I think I could get everything and be in business for about 1k$.  

Seeing as I don't currently have a laptimer, this would be a good thing!

I am running the RCP Mk3 in our chumpcar and the mk2 in my other track car. I have also messed around with it a lot. 

Hardware is great but the software is so so, but they are improving it.

It's extremely customizable and you do a lot of stuff with it, very much DIY friendly and the support is very good.

If you have a decent of car electronics it's great, adding sensors and CAN information is pretty easy. However the AiM is a little easier.

The biggest drawback is that you have to configure the system using the tablet. Cheap tablets ($50-$100) work fine for displaying information but when configuring it's a little slow and annoying.

Their analyze software is OK but not as nice as others. We have managed to get our slow drivers fast very quickly, essentially you can see where they are behind and work on that.

Note that they are having a lot of improvements for 2021:
- Standardized connectors, if you don't like splicing they are now using nice connectors (but at a cost)
- The new software (2.0) seems impressive 

The telemetry feature is also nice. It's nice that all the logging gets saved to the cloud so you automatically get all the trackdays and data from races. It made our car faster for sure. 

We mostly use the "Send Message To Driver" feature for BS stuff, like mocking them if they are slow. But I am sure a serious team might find it useful.

We replaced our AiM system with Race capture.

What is it that you want to get out of it? What car ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

89 rx7 with 3500 gm engine.

I want:

1)a lap timer (don't have currently....  I borrow one).

2) display with my important engine stuff (water temp, oil temp, afr, oil pressure)

3) live telemetry so we can tell the driver to slow down since they never watch gauges....

• Like 1

I have a Mk3 Pro and like it a lot. I use an Amazon Fire tablet for display, and concur that the analysis bit needs improvement (and is getting it). For the money I think it's a good deal. It's more than once helped us with pitstops when radios weren't working, both watching the fuel gauge and sending a message to the driver. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

89 rx7 with 3500 gm engine.

I want:

1)a lap timer (don't have currently....  I borrow one).

2) display with my important engine stuff (water temp, oil temp, afr, oil pressure)

3) live telemetry so we can tell the driver to slow down since they never watch gauges....

we run the Racepak in both of our cars.  Love it!  The after race data analysis is amazing! The only area that it would lack is the live telemetry....however, our cameras do a nice job of showing gauges so we can communicate to drivers to watch temsp, revs, etc...

• Thanks 1

Having lived with a lap timing tablet for a while I can give a few pointers. Heavy duty Velcro is way stronger than required to hold the tablet in place, all the vibrations in a race cause the hook and loop fibers to interlock so strongly that the real problem is removing the tablet without breaking the glass screen.

Keeping power to the tablet in a race car is always a challenge, a hardwired USB charger is way better than a cigarette lighter plug, once you connect your cable you can wrap the connectors in tape to make it waterproof and stays in place.

https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Hardwire-Adapter-Smartphone-SiriusXM/dp/B00I3P6QQG/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1EZT5UZKR87LA&dchild=1&keywords=hardwire+usb+charger&qid=1612456180&sprefix=hardwire+us%2Caps%2C479&sr=8-6

It is a challenge to keep the micro USB plug at the tablet plugged in all the time, in the end I just got a 6-inch cable and JB welded it to the tablet.

If it is possible with your app, make sure you set it up to require a pin or something like that to change anything. That way you don’t get a driver who wants to “help” and wipe the dust of the screen and end up back at the home screen with no way to get back to the app until the next pit stop.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mhr650 said:

Having lived with a lap timing tablet for a while I can give a few pointers. Heavy duty Velcro is way stronger than required to hold the tablet in place, all the vibrations in a race cause the hook and loop fibers to interlock so strongly that the real problem is removing the tablet without breaking the glass screen.

I got one of those cheap cases and used pop rivets to hold it to the dash. I can slip the tablet in and out of the case with relative ease.

RC Track MK2 here.  Running a Fire8 tablet in the car.  I’ve got an NA Miata with a Megasquirt.  We are getting RPM, temps, tps, etc from the Megasquirt CAN, then I’ve added an Analog X where I’ve got oil pressure, fuel pressure, and fuel level (still working on this one reading right).  If I were to purchase again I would get a pro with the inputs on already built in.

Assuming you have cell signal at the track, getting telemetry is really helpful at the track.  2 days ago we were able to provide feedback to drivers at Road Atlanta on where they could improve lap times, worked great.  

I will say the podium site is helpful for viewing, but it could be improved.  They are working on a podium app that is in Beta, and it seems like it will probably be much improved once released fully.  

Generally the community support of the product is great.  Many people on the FB support pages are very knowledgeable and willing to help out.  

Overall good product and I think it will help us as a team.

My main beef with RC stuff is their reliance on cell service for everything.

One of the tracks we race at (ORP) doesn't really have cell coverage so it's useless there.

I ended up rolling my own using a LoRa radio for telemetry. It's a work in progress, but seemed to work OK at the one race we ran last year.

1 hour ago, Ian said:

We run a RC MK3 in the new car.  Display on a tablet mounted on a Ram Mount using a 1" ball socket to a custom base plate.  There was a ton of setup, but after 1 race, it was totally worth it.

IMG_20200823_193410515.jpg

Tell me more.  What ecu is that connected to? 

I reused my AiM mount to mount mine, I think the display should be on the steering column.

The shift light is controlled by the RCP as well, besides shift light it also blink reds when surge tank is down to 80% (time to pit). The small buttons on the wheel is used to change screen on the tablet and also to send messages back to pit via RCP.

DjGZTb-s6KyeHZv880A4DmgU5IiDyU8Pf9TeDPVtMnXxGK9drYEiF6FgzoJR3AdnsL-C0WKi3pDmLHeqG-HAB8p8plNkZcB0leGU8ZWepkSzcCDcyLi-39oYv7WPzbCaUn-vEMs9a3T8dZeFtkWYV28GoFhMPDZDn9yLyog6YVdjUHyFC6yGwC4lSUmeM_Diet_KrJUGkPTCfUlUh-eCJU6Wld9R5fHGQhDXCiSAxWR-yQr90JOis6mqX8GhZO-sXvIPytdHnnR2wTYyJ3zdbrM8x-XBvNhcEz8sMPIzmftd5h1NVEjxDbLtCkX-c_d2E_w2Smz6DkiV4Y81TUa3zBMmxHNLRhsXYiQNVZC3UIXIXyILTEsLqyX7IUyOUazaO5ejYN3bZIUwDOZl2MfNJZ2w1G997k4iDAbO2oYtMjB00oHXX4iYGmuRr7lnaXBn2yNDe8fqMiFini5hxnjgRkEf3duusABJDy9gkYvF7cglTUImai4k25-vQo6Hnn_38e7-BxFN4pdyZvmp7ARPjLVznljYhcJo1jC17v37WjmnvQ2PIkax0-iWNj-ewGzDIZm2djZZKTj5be0L_rIVBjCF_T_8c0JDAESs_CVSf_509jkanxmVroX5RZPphz1VBl1K1Nx9dELbSL096bjd8NuRervKVqrq5pF_Wkoe1kkPHLingrDQPKU8ZWVosIg=w668-h890-no?authuser=0

14 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Tell me more.  What ecu is that connected to? 

Connected via OBDII to the stock Infiniti ECU.  We catch most of our inputs that way.  If the ECU were newer we'd have CAN access and that would be even better.

I added a couple external sensors that the factory computer doesn't monitor to boost it's output.  Right now I added a combo Bosche temp/pressure sensor for oil temp and pressure, a coolant pressure sender to earn if coolant pressure ventures out of its happy zone, and a fuel pressure sensor to monitor for dips in fuel pressure caused by running the tank empty.

It was so cold at RA, I actually had to modify the pressure window for coolant pressure as it kept dipping to 8 PSI and setting a warning mesage.  Temp was rock solid at 185° all day, but the pressure would fall a couple PSI if you'd back off for a turn or two.

The UI of the trackside telemetry system leaves a bit to be desired still, but it is getter better.

Being able to watch the car circulate on a track map in real time, as well as monitor engine vitals and lap times from the comfort of my camp chair was amazing.  It took a ton of the nerves away, especially with it being a new build.  Normally I'd worry every fall off in lap times was a car issue, but being able to see that a driver was using significantly less Gs in turns and/or short shifting was an indicator of local yellows, or traffic, or even just a driver cooling down.

• Like 1

That's awesome!  I also have the older obdii and was worried that it wouldn't work well enough or be fast enough to have good gauges.  I assume you are using the legacy adapter.

I'm thinking of just going with the rcp and the legacy adapter.  I also have some longacre sending units that I believe will work with the rcp.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

That's awesome!  I also have the older obdii and was worried that it wouldn't work well enough or be fast enough to have good gauges.  I assume you are using the legacy adapter.

I'm thinking of just going with the rcp and the legacy adapter.  I also have some longacre sending units that I believe will work with the rcp.

I would try with a cheap OBD2 dongle and a free app first to make sure your OBD is fast enough.