2021 Road Atlanta

revvhappy

24 hours after the finish and no reports?  

First Congratulations to Cone Crushers, RBanks, and all the other trophy winners.  

Thank you to Champcar and all the staff who worked through cold rain and snow.

The Hong Norrth Supra had an uneventful test day which should have been an omen. During the race the car was fast when it was running but we had a few electrical problems that took us off track for 20 laps. I had a great 15 minute battle with Cone Crushers before the rain - it was some of the most fun and respectful driving I've done in a long time. Video will be posted soon. 

We rolled in Thursday PM. 6th in line. Got tech and came back on Friday AM. We had one driver new to team to filter through some laps and test a few items. Mostly smooth minus found a small issue that we were able to resolve during the test day. We then parked the car and watched what only can be called shenanigans in the last test session. The quantity of passing under yelling and racing under the waving yellow into turn one was really something to behold. And then the one car turning another... geez.

Anyways we parked the car after final prep. Ate some tacos and waited for the morning of. We loaded up our starting driver with fingers crossed. Opening stint went well we took the green around 40th overall and pitted from 5th after a full stint. We were fighting in class with a Miata at the time. 2nd driver left pits in P29 and drove a clean and quick stint. He moved up into the teens position wise and ended up fighting multiple cars for position over many laps with a lot of back/forth. He eventually came in just inside the top 10 in P8. 3rd stint driver left in P21. This was our overall fastest stint and pitted inside the top 5. P4. I jumped in and left in P10. I had what was my best overall stint since starting in ChampCar almost 10 years ago. Battled with the front runners and made up a few spots eventually pitted from P3.

Next driver goes in and leaves in P5. Uneventful overall stint as we monitored weather. We turned clean laps on pace until it was Justin's first turn on the day! Luckily for him it was another rain stint which is all he has really seen so far in the Mini! I was manning the radio at turn one his entire stint. Was really excited for him as the conditions worsened he was turning quick laps moving from P5 to P3 quickly in his stint. Lap times were looking great! He rode out his entire stint in the wet and we handed it back over to our 2nd stint driver. He joined us for this race from Chicago and was super stoked to go out in the snow. He drove exceptionally well during the weather as it got worse and worse. Stuck it out at Turn 1 to monitor. Obviously it went double yellow to red. We parked him and waiting...

And our first class win and first overall podium result. Awesome weekend! Can't wait for Daytona!

• Like 1