2021 Road Atlanta Not-Quite 14-Hour Results, Video, and Images

• Technical Advisory Committee
6 minutes ago, hotchkis23 said:

Dude, that could have potentially seriously injured or killed someone...I get wanting to get back into the race, but even acknowledging in your post that you realize it could end someone else's day makes it even worse.

They should have been drilled and tethered to the car with safety wire. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Full disclosure here.  I'm the "driver in red".   Nothing that has been said here is wrong.  I'm not making excuses or looking for sympathy, but I am looking to be out in the open and not hi

During a FCY I was going through turn 10a/b and a safety trucked stopped. A worker got out and grabbed a pair of vice grips off the track, with a bare hand, and then immediately yelled and dropped the

Pretty rough weekend for the team as this car will have to get replaced.  Driver is sore but ok.  Full containment seat already in possession for the replacement car.     Pret

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, krispykritter said:

To belabor a point - Secret punishments do nothing to either assuage the naysayers nor discourage future rule-breakers.  If Champcar is interested in both preventing these sorts of high-profile incidents in the future as well as show the 'wronged' parties that the management is proactive in going after these folks, there would be serious discussion about what exactly was seen as 'the wrong move' and the penalty associated.

As it is, the best we get is second/third/fourth hand information on Facebook or the forums.  That's not good enough, but it is intentional.

CCES management has not announced any penalties yet but will do so in the future regarding this incident. I have recused myself from the discussion for obvious reasons. It is only "intentional" in as far as it should not be a knee jerk reaction and all parties have been given their time to comment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Just now, Doc said:

CCES management has not announced any penalties yet but will do so in the future regarding this incident. I have recused myself from the discussion for obvious reasons. It is only "intentional" in as far as it should not be a knee jerk reaction and all parties have been given their time to comment. 

I hope that is the case with both this incident and all major incidents going into the future.  That's not at all the experience I had, where there was zero intention or action to discuss the matter in the open.  I welcome a change to that policy.

341 On Second Thought Racing car had a good 11th overall finish.  We started the day the back of the pack (70 something position) due to luck of the draw.  At the end of the first 2hr stint we were sitting mid 30s.  As the day continued we clawed up the pack.  I had some good/clean racing with a few different cars in the 2-4 timeframe.  I got back in the car at 6... and once the snow started coming down it took all the concentration I had to keep going.  There definitely were a few times going down the Esses, 5-6, and back straight where the track limits were near impossible to see.  Fortunately kept it on the pavement the whole time prior to the red flag.  

Couple of things we noticed, with the test day on Friday the first 2 sessions were with point by only.  I understand why with new drivers to the series/track/etc.  But I didn’t see a lot of drivers that were actually good a point bys.  Or if they were, the point by wasn’t visible.  My team and I were discussing how open passing might have been better and safer for the sessions.  

The pits were tight... we had 3 teams on either side of us, and 2 in our stall.  One stop I had to angle the car in a 8ft spot, with the back end sticking out.  Not only did I block the car behind us partially, but we end up fueling our car 5 ft away from another car that didn’t have people out in fire suits as they were done fueling.  Not sure how to address this... maybe side by side pitting?  We always tried to negotiate with the teams around us for pit stops, but it’s hard to negotiate with 8 teams fighting for 3 cars worth of space.

On the comments about flags, assuming the Flagtronics stuff is released for purchase soon... which is correct to follow, the in car notice or the track worker?  Such as at the start I assume the Flagtronics would have shown a green while 10 still had the yellow out (based off cars getting radio calls for green).  Which is to be the approved source of flagging info?  Corner worker I’m assuming?

Love Road Atlanta, and we will be back.  Ended up about 3 sec a lap quicker than we have done before.  Looking at data, we have more to gain.  

Maybe one of these days it won’t snow during the race and we can get the full 12 hrs in.  

27002E91-4280-4EA3-B3DD-09F43CA3C7A2.jpeg

• Like 3
2 hours ago, krispykritter said:

I hope that is the case with both this incident and all major incidents going into the future.  That's not at all the experience I had, where there was zero intention or action to discuss the matter in the open.  I welcome a change to that policy.

Obviously, you're biased in this discussion for good reason. But I don't agree that heavy-handed punishment for a bad call on a race track is reason enough to start punishing drivers and teams when it's an isolated incident. The vast majority of these are racing incidents, and that's what this appeared to be. In your case, that was a team with a history of contact that sure looked like they deliberately hit another car. Good riddance to them. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Snorman said:

Obviously, you're biased in this discussion for good reason. But I don't agree that heavy-handed punishment for a bad call on a race track is reason enough to start punishing drivers and teams when it's an isolated incident. The vast majority of these are racing incidents, and that's what this appeared to be. In your case, that was a team with a history of contact that sure looked like they deliberately hit another car. Good riddance to them. 

Agreed, I'm 100% biased, and also agreed that this doesn't appear to be the same.  I'm less for heavy-handed punishment than I am for there being a transparent process to handle stuff like this.  I can deal with decisions being made that I don't agree with, I just like it to be out in the open.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, roadracer4life said:

Honestly it was just a lazy mistake that is all my fault. We had safety wired them in the past and somehow it got past without getting done the last time the turbo was off the car. It wont happen again.. 

I'm trying my hardest to not laugh out loud about that poor corner worker that picked up a brand new pair of smoking hot vice grips off the track. I am happy to know they did not cause more harm than that.. 

Not to smart using the vise grips.  I wonder if you would have had a hardy laugh if a car in front of yours launched that tool into your car.

• Like 3

All corners had two SCCA workers/flaggers. with the exception of start finish.

Process.
Corner calls in PUY or Incident.
Flagger lead in the tower passes on info to the race director.
Track record keeper keeps computer record of call.
Race director responds. 
Flagger lead communicated with safety lead sitter next to him/her. Safety contact safety trucks / tow.
Race Director deals with safety/pace car.

The car numbers were well below our max number.

It was funny watching cars pit for the first time. It seemed there were many teams that were lost when they figured out they should not have pitted like they see on NASCAR Sundays. I have been part of over 300 races and been in the car for 100 of those, and have been in many where were were pitting two and three cars deep. Fun times. It works with planning and telling your driver that if he pulls that car up to the guard rail like he was parking in front of his moms house that you would beat him senseless with his expired HANs.

The look of shock as some of you guys were blocked in still cracks me up.

The first incident was not just based on the actual incident. Most people on track were being reported going way too fast by the safety team. They called it saying it was to scary to get out of the trucks. 

and as always, I have a good laugh watch the shock from SCCA patched pro/club racers. Much respect at them. But this is much different than what most of them are used to. The speed differential is always a big one I hear. They were lucky I did not have the Opel on that track. Maybe next year. I am not a betting man, but I would say that from what I saw in the tower and the track, that we should require that all Pro/Club racers attend or watch Dana's new driver video. 

as for ending it earlier...
The corner workers were giving constant updates... its a rain race, they could all see the track, and the track looked ok....
and then it was bad. fast. And it takes time to get the field under control. And then once we got them under control some still stayed out on the track. LOL. want to see an event director in a WTF/Explode mood? 
I just walked in and jokingly said "Oh cool, a south Florida race director directing a snow race".
Yep.
almost lost my job. 

fun times.

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

All corners had two SCCA workers/flaggers. with the exception of start finish.

Process.
Corner calls in PUY or Incident.
Flagger lead in the tower passes on info to the race director.
Track record keeper keeps computer record of call.
Race director responds. 
Flagger lead communicated with safety lead sitter next to him/her. Safety contact safety trucks / tow.
Race Director deals with safety/pace car.

The car numbers were well below our max number.

It was funny watching cars pit for the first time. It seemed there were many teams that were lost when they figured out they should not have pitted like they see on NASCAR Sundays. I have been part of over 300 races and been in the car for 100 of those, and have been in many where were were pitting two and three cars deep. Fun times. It works with planning and telling your driver that if he pulls that car up to the guard rail like he was parking in front of his moms house that you would beat him senseless with his expired HANs.

The look of shock as some of you guys were blocked in still cracks me up.

The first incident was not just based on the actual incident. Most people on track were being reported going way too fast by the safety team. They called it saying it was to scary to get out of the trucks. 

and as always, I have a good laugh watch the shock from SCCA patched pro/club racers. Much respect at them. But this is much different than what most of them are used to. The speed differential is always a big one I hear. They were lucky I did not have the Opel on that track. Maybe next year. I am not a betting man, but I would say that from what I saw in the tower and the track, that we should require that all Pro/Club racers attend or watch Dana's new driver video. 

as for ending it earlier...
The corner workers were giving constant updates... its a rain race, they could all see the track, and the track looked ok....
and then it was bad. fast. And it takes time to get the field under control. And then once we got them under control some still stayed out on the track. LOL. want to see an event director in a WTF/Explode mood? 
I just walked in and jokingly said "Oh cool, a south Florida race director directing a snow race".
Yep.
almost lost my job. 

fun times.

We understand why Champcar ended the race early but our team from NY, MA and CT were fully prepared to drive to the end!!  To us it was just another day driving in the snow!!  lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
1 hour ago, Ronh911 said:

We understand why Champcar ended the race early but our team from NY, MA and CT were fully prepared to drive to the end!!  To us it was just another day driving in the snow!!  lol

I wanted to say the same thing.  I went out after the race was over to collect my cameras and had plenty of traction with awd and the conti's.  

I do t think I would have had the same traction using RS4s and RWD. It would have been fun though. 

4 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

I wanted to say the same thing.  I went out after the race was over to collect my cameras and had plenty of traction with awd and the conti's.  

I do t think I would have had the same traction using RS4s and RWD. It would have been fun though. 

That's why we brought my street cars snow tires to Road America last October!🤣 Mounted and ready to swap them on at the pit wall both day's!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Timothy G. Elliott said:

That's why we brought my street cars snow tires to Road America last October!🤣 Mounted and ready to swap them on at the pit wall both day's!

I noted that Blizzak's do not have a treadwear rating on Tire Rack.

They are awesome in the snow however.

• Like 2

NLS Racing #977 Road Atlanta race report:

Holidays, New Years, family gatherings, etc. left us with a very short amount of time to sort out the engine woes that plagued us at VIR North. New engine built, ready to fire, annnnd...nothing. 2 weeks to go until we leave, what now? Somewhere along the line, we mixed up our cam caps causing the camshafts to bind. Ughh, tear it back apart, scrape tons more silicone...again. Finally sorted and running great. Packed up and made our way to the awesome Michelin Raceway. Unloaded and made the mad dash to the tech line. 7th in line, not too bad. So I'm sitting there in line and see Doc nonchalantly walk up to the car in front of me, pause for a second, dig around in his pockets, then tag an unnamed car with the Brew Krewe decal...had me laughing for sure. Tech went smoothly, with a few suggestions.
    On to the test day. Starter decided to sound weird first thing, pulled it, and adjusted some needed shims for our swap. Now the alternator isn't charging, some quick diagnosis, and we were on our way to the parts store for a replacement. A quick swap and the new one is putting out almost 17 volts, c'mon man. Back again for a 2nd new alternator. Meanwhile we filled the car with fuel and noticed a leak, a 3rd trip to the parts house for a patch kit. I recommend everyone have this in your inventory. Finally charging correctly and no fuel leaks, we made it on track in the afternoon to get all our drivers some seat time. Good to go, ready for race day.
    Overcast and chilly, we started the race around 27th if memory serves me correct. Quickly moved up into the top 5 before the red flag. All drivers got a good, stern talking-to from Dana. We all hate to lose track time, but it was needed, as everyone is surely aware of the shenanigans that transpired by now. Drivers back in and the racing resumed. Our first driver did an excellent job, moved us up to 3rd or 4th by the time we needed to pit. Driver change, full of fuel, and we're back out. I was in for my only stint of the race. I maintained our top 5 position, settled in, and got comfortable, right up until I was punted into the wall before turn 5. You guys can see the video from my previous post. Hardest hit I've ever taken, rung my bell pretty good, but otherwise feeling good. Radioed in assuming we were done for the day. The tow truck arrives and says it looks ok, no tire rub. Pulled me to the pavement and sent me on my way. Back to the pits and assessed the damage. Good thing we built a tank of a car because we slapped a new tire/wheel on it, a fresh driver and away we went. 
    Car was no worse for the wear, but we were back in 40 something position. We pressed on knowing there was a lot of racing left. Let's salvage a good finish was our goal now. Carried on for while until our driver reported fuel starvation and we had to pit way earlier than anticipated. Post-race inspection revealed our fuel tank had shifted and was cockeyed from the wreck, allowing all the fuel to fall away from the pickup. We also began to run hotter than normal during this stint, so we broke out the drill and started punching holes in the front bumper, much to the disbelief of our pit neighbors. Do what you gotta do to keep racing. 
    Back out still running hot, but fast. Kept clicking off laps and working our way up with our fastest driver in the car. He laid down some killer laps getting us back to 6th. He handed it over to the next man up. We now have been off sequence with the leaders on stops but rejoined the race in 9th. The engine now is running its hottest of the race. We babied it along thru the stint without incident. Engine still intact, we pitted, added water, and bled the coolant system. Always fun to remove a radiator cap when the temps are 240+. Send it. We did. Temps now under control but waiting for the rain to come. 1hr20min later we pitted again due to the fuel pickup issues and the rain beginning to fall. Slapped on our newly acquired rain tires and just like that, 10secs a lap faster. Then the rain turned to sleet and finally big ole' snowflakes. Fogged up windshield and all, we made our way to 7th and gaining. With a top 5 now in sight, the race was red-flagged due to the deteriorating conditions. Parked it on pit road and waited for the final call. Race over.
    If there is one thing we don't do, it's give up. We made the most of the cards we were dealt. Final result was a 7th place finish, nothing to hang our heads about with such a big field. Thanks to Dana for dealing with the situations at hand. Thanks to all the corner workers and volunteers freezing their butts off. Thanks to our fellow competitors. And of course thanks to our family, friends, and teammates for all your hard work. Congratulations to Cone Crushers on the win. A lot of work to be had before we show up to VIR South in less than 4 weeks. See ya soon.

Oh yeah, almost forgot...how cool to have Bob Varsha calling our race? Props to ChampCar for making that happen.

Edited by bigyellow
  • Like 7
26 minutes ago, bigyellow said:

NLS Racing #977 Road Atlanta race report:

So I'm sitting there in line and see Doc nonchalantly walk up to the car in front of me, pause for a second, dig around in his pockets, then tag an unnamed car with the Brew Krewe decal...had me laughing for sure.

He did that in the tech line? That SOB hahhaha

I didnt notice the sticker until Sunday morning when I was loading up the trailer.

CsJc9KCBX7dqu_9jZxzni35QPrOlJ2qGv-VAs5RPDNnEfaJwhdQD7pr8L2CIJkc2pU1J7VQrVdpGRJ53hNFmiEqeX2jn2e2USzDf8mvdO1ng60cIsvEq4IkoOSQ05X8a9YTzo_0qhlRTxnvT6GOTbMVon0Ge-xBF8dfvJEKqR-K6o16F2VKmn0BxXYnmocNFwF46rcX-vkHo3btG2oJRvVnV6ZN-LDJ_ZgdF7wkZgLXqZqI0TG0SuPWkPaGnOW_Fh2odigEnvQ36tygErkJWQSCLhqByKIUm8D5e3l9jMvow7WTot4KQnt4PUbQY6iZeNJwTzl6DnsaWbLyW-rqLGZvc3dihIOPadtkpLVDfDYBO88xdLI2OYbgfSkBzb5vL_J64jXTIKxedjWBRCsVdrFKtFvbYu47IPFmCiD7dcupllXugfRn7ek4HJp5rtbXTws0UAr-a18NDAwUp4kPwKvWv6EZdZVOtucUMnUI4jbHOH-hUuBa2tvlY6uvCNrQIEKzFNdDnLTqtmc7b1tn5sjtDOckYQheqrI2o6uUdNHvCWsTaLfa-EtmB2ihu80K7egb_g10NgsoD27QUuGmKtKfRNqpTHIxr2yIoy8VTAaDSSozCsbI838VAHz9U3X0FuAkqGs3rwHwsYLJo4YZvJlgSlXKVhN-XG30LeDuiyOGQxUcbp9L4m_Scs8hFXgw=w1190-h893-no?authuser=0

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
On 2/8/2021 at 11:59 AM, Jer said:

As a Board member let me address the "crowded" conditions.  We set a rule like 10 years ago as an org-no more than 37.5 cars per mile.  Doing the math for RA, that's 95 cars.  I don't think we had over that so that is within our guidelines.  It might have seemed crowded at time but maybe that's a reflection of being in a pack plus the weather.  

That's  1 car every 140 feet.

I have more of a problem with more than 2 cars per pit.

I figure these would be good for near and subzero racing.  The standard extreme contacts are great for rain. 

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact DWS 06&partnum=445YR9DWS06

If I was made of money and had the resources I'd run a test between the Conti DWS, Conti Extreme Contacts, RE71s, and RS4 in cold and poor weather conditions. 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, 55mini said:

No to these in that weather, the RE71's work better but take for ever to come in. Heard good things about the Conti's

I've run RS4s in this weather. They are less than optimal. I've also run RE71s same comment, although they make a good dry and rain tire and are faster than RS4s in all conditions. Just wear badly in the dry. 

The point was it would be good to know the lap time improvement between the tire types in wet, very wet, and wet & cold. Right now I'd just be guessing for half the tires I mentioned.  

Edited by veris
  • Like 2