Best Gearbox oil

Oh, isn't that one of them there fwd dooflatches?

No help from me.  

I can tell you that my WC T5 likes royal purple synchromesh (I hate royal purple, but it was recommended by the guy that wrote the book* on modifying T5 trans).  Trans has been pretty great as far as longevity is concerned.

The T5 has a couple of carbon fiber bits and also some yellow metal bits.  Apparently, these 2 materials require different lubrication properties.  Synchromesh was the best at handling both.

*Paul Cangialosi is the authors name.  He owns / or is part of 5speeds.com.

Ymmv.

• Like 1

I read an article from Amsoil that their Sycromesh 5W-30 is compatible and better than ATF for manual trans that don’t need the friction modifiers.  My Diff is a Torenson style so no clutch packs to worry about.   

I wouldn’t think ATF is thinner than 5w-30?

Edited by petawawarace

On 2/8/2021 at 9:57 PM, petawawarace said:

I read an article from Amsoil that their Sycromesh 5W-30 is compatible and better than ATF for manual trans that don’t need the friction modifiers.  My Diff is a Torenson style so no clutch packs to worry about.   

I wouldn’t think ATF is thinner than 5w-30?

Older atfs are around the viscosity of 20w motor oil and newer atfs are thinner. For thin gearbox applications I have had luck with shell sprirax gxme

• Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 4:08 PM, wvumtnbkr said:

*Paul Cangialosi is the authors name.  He owns / or is part of 5speeds.com.

Ymmv.

Paul is the guy that built and or rebuilt most of the Corvette 4+3's back in the 80's when they were running in SCCA. He made those things live even with the OD. I talked to him  about our C4.  Good book, good guy.

Edited by 67Mustang
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MMiskoe said:

Synthetic ATF in all my miata transmissions.  Eventually third gear gets crunchy, but "eventually" is measured in seasons, plural.

That's what happens to the rx7 trans too (mostly same trans).  Idemitsu solved that issue.