I have the mid level alpinestars.  Had them for about 5 years.  Still in great shape and very comfortable for me.  I abuse them on race weekends.

Like most /all thin solved shoes my feet do hurt at the end of a long day while wearing them.  For me, this is due to a lack of cushioning.

Ymmv.

Also had Alpinestars Tech 1-z for 5 years that I just replaced this year.  But they changed the style from shoe with tongue, to almost a sock like shape that doesn't open near as wide since you can't loosen the laces.  So they didn't work for me.  If you have a narrow forefoot, then it may for you.

Get with @DiscoveryParts so you can try on a bunch.  

Champ Car places a different demand on equipment than other race series, I enjoy lightweight tactile shoes but they trash pretty quickly walking around all weekend in them.  Wound up with a set of new balance SFI sneakers, A little less sensitivity driving but one sneaker for the entire weekend seals the deal.

• Like 2
On 2/8/2021 at 3:10 PM, Team Infiniti said:

Champ Car places a different demand on equipment than other race series, I enjoy lightweight tactile shoes but they trash pretty quickly walking around all weekend in them.  Wound up with a set of new balance SFI sneakers, A little less sensitivity driving but one sneaker for the entire weekend seals the deal.

Good point about lightweight thin driving shoes not being very good for walking around or doing pit stops. An option is to get some SFI rated crew shoes for pit stops and then you can reserve the fireproof ballet slippers for actual driving…

Smoking deal here on the G Force as long as you wear a 10 or 13

https://discoveryparts.com/546__crew-shoes-for-over-the-wall-technicians

• Like 2

my .02$, whatever brand you get make sure to have a velcro strap to cover and secure the upper laces so that if they come untied there isn't a chance of the lace catching on the brake/clutch/gas pedals.  

• Like 2
On 2/11/2021 at 3:57 PM, Wink said:

Image result for adidas daytona

Great heat deflection

Leather is tough

Been running them for 4 years now, still in great shape

Man those are nice looking. Heat deflection is not so great with my worn out sparcos. Have you had Sparco and did the adidas run about the same sizing?

I started with a pair of Oakley's, then to OMP and then to a second pair of OMPs.

One big thing I pulled from my latest pair is think about your pedal type/material. My first two pairs had rubber soles and had grip on nearly every surface. My third pair had more of a plastic sole (and were more expensive) and on metal pedals they are quite slick! My next pair will have rubber soles again.

Edited by tyler_j
  • Like 1
On 2/11/2021 at 10:00 AM, mhr650 said:

Good point about lightweight thin driving shoes not being very good for walking around or doing pit stops. An option is to get some SFI rated crew shoes for pit stops and then you can reserve the fireproof ballet slippers for actual driving…

Smoking deal here on the G Force as long as you wear a 10 or 13

https://discoveryparts.com/546__crew-shoes-for-over-the-wall-technicians

I am in GA today so I stopped by Discovery. They are sold out of the G Force shoes, guess I should have pulled the trigger when I first found them.