What Head and Neck Restraint do you use and Why?

Head and Neck Restraint  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What Head and Neck Restraint do you use? Any particular reason why? Vote and discuss.

• Traditional Yoke style (HANS, Stand 21, etc)
    • Necksgen
    • Schroth SHR Flex
    • Zamp Z-Tech 2A or 6A
    • Other style not mentioned

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/16/2021 at 01:20 AM

50 minutes ago, hotchkis23 said:

Our team has a pair of Necksgens we share.  Went that route because of the difference in driver size it works with all our drivers from small to large.

Did you get both in large, or one medium one large?

3 minutes ago, FishheadTX said:

Did you get both in large, or one medium one large?

Both are larges.  I'm 5'8" and 160lbs. our largest drive is 6' and not sure on lbs.  But it works for all of us.

I am probably going to buy my own Hans in the future, mainly to just have the opportunity to run different events and maybe rent a seat and not use the team Necksgen.

14 hours ago, hotchkis23 said:

Both are larges.  I'm 5'8" and 160lbs. our largest drive is 6' and not sure on lbs.  But it works for all of us.

I am probably going to buy my own Hans in the future, mainly to just have the opportunity to run different events and maybe rent a seat and not use the team Necksgen.

Thanks for the info.  Good to know the large works.  Our team varies from 5'7" to 6'2" ish, so same boat size wise seems like.

2 hours ago, Ian said:

I have a Simpson Hybrid Pro.

How do you like it?  How's getting in and out of the car?

1 hour ago, mindspin311 said:

HANS. As Ron at Discovery parts asked me as he pointed to an IMSA race showing on his TV... "Do you see them wearing anything other than a HANS, or maybe a Simpson?"

Agreed, but just trying to get ideas of what folks are running.  We're currently using the older style Zamp with the arm that come down on your chest like a HANS, but are looking to upgrade.  This is what we have now:

Image result for old style zamp head and neck restraint

Edited by FishheadTX
2 hours ago, FishheadTX said:

How do you like it?  How's getting in and out of the car?

I like it a lot.  Ingress/Egress is better than with the traditional HANS I had before.  I've had this one since 2012.  It saved my life in 2019.  I had it recertified, and am back to using it.

If you get one, go for the upgraded sliding tether system.  Well worth it, as it allows head movement, as well as simplifies adjustment.

1 hour ago, Ian said:

I like it a lot.  Ingress/Egress is better than with the traditional HANS I had before.  I've had this one since 2012.  It saved my life in 2019.  I had it recertified, and am back to using it.

If you get one, go for the upgraded sliding tether system.  Well worth it, as it allows head movement, as well as simplifies adjustment.

Thanks for the info and glad to hear it worked...sorry you had to test it.

Edited by FishheadTX
  • Technical Advisory Committee

I have a necksgen and it works fine. Recently I have been buying a ton of Zamp safety gear from my sponsor 90racing.com though and all the Zamp stuff has impressed me for the cost. If you reach out to Sharon by emailing sales@90racing.com I'm sure she can recommend a HNR for you based on your specific needs. 

2 hours ago, Andrew D Johnson said:

I have a necksgen and it works fine. Recently I have been buying a ton of Zamp safety gear from my sponsor 90racing.com though and all the Zamp stuff has impressed me for the cost. If you reach out to Sharon by emailing sales@90racing.com I'm sure she can recommend a HNR for you based on your specific needs. 

Thanks for the heads up!

20 hours ago, mindspin311 said:

HANS. As Ron at Discovery parts asked me as he pointed to an IMSA race showing on his TV... "Do you see them wearing anything other than a HANS, or maybe a Simpson?"

HANS.  Because this^^.  Not just IMSA, but all pro motorsports.  Grojean was wearing a HANS.  McDowell was wearing a HANS.

• Like 3

I’ve only tried nextGen, it was an economical decision at the time, I don’t think Zamp had their product yet.

It was shared between two teammates of different sizes with no issue, it protected me properly in a really bad Front/rear, non Champ Enduro crash

• Like 2
On 2/10/2021 at 1:42 PM, FishheadTX said:

Thanks for the info and glad to hear it worked...sorry you had to test it.

No worries.  That's why we wear safety gear, because sometimes you need it, and you rarely get to choose.

• Like 1

I volunteered at Road Atlanta and did the gear check on Thursday evening and Friday. I handled a few hundred devices and can say from handling them and checking out the quality of each the Stand21 seems like the best deal. It is lighter than the standard Hans and on par with the carbon. It has a nice flow and curve to it so it should fit well. It is also the cheapest out there for this style. My own hans need to be re certified and I debate on simply getting a new Stand21 instead.

The Schroth seemed very nice also and one that has the adjustment for angles so you can use it in different situation.

The zamp seemed really bulky, big, heavy and short, kindoff like a Necksgen. It also seemed like it did not come down as far as the hans type so a no go for me on that one. They are dirt cheap though and I imagine they do not limit your head movement much, but isn't the point of a restraint device to restrain you?

Necksgen.  Ummm, I got one for free in the past and basically gave it away for free because you could not pay me to wear that thing. I debate if it really does anything myself and after watching the video of the comparison in slow motion on the test rig had me saying, hell no.

I had an incident at AMP, some saw it, and a car hit the wall in front of me and jetted out. I hit him broadside at like 80-90mph and punted him all the way past turn 1 and it crunched my car. I walked away pretty much fine. I did get a head ache a few hours later that lasted a bit from the snap. The hans stopped my head from snapping forward and I was fine and thankful for it. I wonder if I had something else if I would have fared as well? No need to test that theory and I will go with what I know works for sure and not gamble on that to save a few bucks or save a second getting in and out of the car. 

Just my 2 cents, carry on.  

• 2 weeks later...

My sincere thanks for all the replies and responses to the poll.  This information will help us make a decision that's right for our team and will hopefully help others in the future.  I am also glad that those of you who have tested these are here to write about it.  Risk acceptance and mitigation are a part of this sport and should not be taken lightly.  Thanks again and  Send IT!!

Edited by FishheadTX
On 2/23/2021 at 10:16 AM, Wink said:

Schroth Super Sport XLT FHR Device

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/us/schroth-super-sport-xlt-fhr-device-991867/

When the pound was soft, I was able to get it bought for $200 shipped

Seems to do everything I need it to

I actually have one of these at home right now.  I'm sending it back.  Seems a bit narrow, and it's a large.  Also squishes my trapezius muscles.  I'm thinking about getting a Stand21 to look at.  The way the body of it is curved, it seems like it would rest on the traps instead of squishing them.  Different body types and all that.

BTW, they are $250.00 delivered from HMS Motorsports right now!

https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/item/shr-evo/devices

Edited by FishheadTX