Source for quality/affordable wiring & gauges

31 minutes ago, AJCady said:

Getting ready to redo wiring, switches & gauges. Any recommendations for a source of affordable, but still good quality wire, switches, blocks, gauges, etc? 

I bought some inexpensive “automotive wire” on Amazon and I intend to throw it all out when I clean up the garage... it isn’t even worth using. Following thread.

1 hour ago, AJCady said:

Getting ready to redo wiring, switches & gauges. Any recommendations for a source of affordable, but still good quality wire, switches, blocks, gauges, etc? 

I source all of my stuff from DelCity. TXL wire. Combined with McMaster when needed. When I rewired my entire racecar I just went ahead and purchased 100' of 8 colors. Have tons left over.

I used to have a link of dual colored TXL wire, but can't find it at the moment. 

image.png.fd2d08f948b5c5b0394b53360d61fba1.png

Edited by MichaelPal
4 hours ago, MichaelPal said:

I source all of my stuff from DelCity. TXL wire. Combined with McMaster when needed. When I rewired my entire racecar I just went ahead and purchased 100' of 8 colors. Have tons left over.

I used to have a link of dual colored TXL wire, but can't find it at the moment. 

image.png.fd2d08f948b5c5b0394b53360d61fba1.png

I used the same wire, some bussman relay boxes and weatherpak connectors which some would say aren't good enough but you have to stop the bleeding of money somewhere.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, tneker said:

I used the same wire, some bussman relay boxes and weatherpak connectors which some would say aren't good enough but you have to stop the bleeding of money somewhere.

I might be lower budget than most, but I snag good wire from the harnesses of parts cars (that aren't that old). My unfounded thought was OE quality, even good condition used would be better than cheap new stuff....

• Like 3
On 2/16/2021 at 9:27 AM, Black Magic said:

I might be lower budget than most, but I snag good wire from the harnesses of parts cars (that aren't that old). My unfounded thought was OE quality, even good condition used would be better than cheap new stuff....

Plus there's usually a good variety of wire colours to choose from. (Avoid MB wiring from the early to mid '90s, they went with soy-based biodegradable insulation to appease the econuts. Lots of whole cars including the top of the line 600SELs got tossed because of this misguided save-the-planet effort; crumbling insulation and the resulting electrical gremlins)

Have I mentioned how much I hate it when someone buys a 500 foot roll of blue wire and rewires the entire car with it?

Edited by mender
  • Like 2
On 2/16/2021 at 11:27 AM, Black Magic said:

Upull has some great options and if you check out imports for the high quality connectors along with trucks / vans for long run wire harness from interior you can get a lot for very little - including lots of options on automotive switches.  I've also found aftermarket gages in junkyards including autometer.

On 2/16/2021 at 8:27 AM, Black Magic said:

This is a good idea. The Japanese metallurgy has improved over time. They've increased the amp capacity of the copper so they can run smaller gauge wiring. Plus you get every different color imaginable.

On 2/18/2021 at 7:25 AM, mender said:

they went with soy-based biodegradable insulation to appease the econuts. Lots of whole cars including the top of the line 600SELs got tossed because of this misguided save-the-planet effort; crumbling insulation and the resulting electrical gremlins)

Have I mentioned how much I hate it when someone buys a 500 foot roll of blue wire and rewires the entire car with it?

Some of the Honda years used whale oil in the manufacturing process for their wiring since they have to import petroleum. Some people think this causes the rodents to be attracted to chew on the wiring.