E46 LSD Options

BigMoneyWasters

Phantomgrip or similar are a waste of your time and money. To add LSD you’re looking $1800 or so through diffsonline. You’re going to add 25 points that way.

Another option is the 3.62 rear end out of the M3, but you’re going to need to go to the 6 speed trans most likely. Less money but you’re going to assessed more points. 

E46 options are about the same as the E39. Mostly expensive aftermarket options with not many factory retrofit options except for converting to M car diff or a lot of fabrication work. For my E39 I am planning on just running with the open diff to start and then assess from there. 

The open diff has hurt us at a few tracks, especially coming out of T6 at AMP.

From my investigations there is no easy or cheap solution, and whatever you end up with will add points to the car since no e46 (except M3) came with an LSD.

My understanding of the M3 diff is that the subframe and chassis mounting points are all different so even an entire M3 rear end would not mount up right...I could be wrong on this one.

If you're trying to be that competitive that the 0-0.5 seconds per lap makes a difference then you likely won't be willing to accept the VPI points on the car either.

Just me 0.10c

Edited by The_Three_Thirties