What happened to your ChampCar today 2021 ??

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've been working on fender flares using metal that we've removed from the trunk lid inside area.  I know it doesn't look like it covers the tire  at 2:00 but it does, optical illusion.    

Hit the dyno to break in new engine build...didn't break, and few extra ponies showed up to the party with a more conservative tune.  Just a few items left to do this weekend, test on Monday and park

Finally got paint on my 750 point 50 year old car  that would get spanked by RBank! LMAO   So again, why are ALL the old 911's valued at 750 points?  Even the early 2 liter ones when the 914

Posted Images

Put the trans back in a few days ago after replacing the clutch, lines, master and slave because the clutch pedal would stick a bit after shifting.  Now, just need to finish buttoning it up for NCM.

It's nestled snug in it's trailer waiting for me to get it out and back in the garage, so I can install the 250 amp fuse at the battery for the main feed and install my low fuel pressure light for the lift pump, problem is all the snow we've been getting is going to make that a chore, waiting for some melting and hoping it's before April!

Trying to find 5 laps in the midst of all the Global Warming. We have not had single digit coils in Houston  in 100 years. Boxed in a pair of rear lower control arms to replace aftermarket units. 

Next is stock exhaust headers. Anyone have a pair of Fox Mustang mini tubes for sale?

D007B6E9-D342-4A2D-BB56-D0D1825A3C47.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Technical Advisory Committee
1 hour ago, Team Infiniti said:

Took it to a car show on sunday to keep the juices flowing.

Looking into a new fire system from discovery parts.

Anyone know their discount code?

champracer1

Just used it to buy some new shoes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, Clifford Beisler said:

We are debating how much to fix this for VIR.  It's only three weeks away and we have a ton of other work to do.

Do it last, but go through that corner now to check for hidden damage.

43 minutes ago, Clifford Beisler said:

IMG_1734.jpg.00131ba2b60840c6d9704e26ddf01f97.jpg

We are debating how much to fix this for VIR.  It's only three weeks away and we have a ton of other work to do.

IMG_1733.jpg

Not at all is my answer if it doesn't make the car faster.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Cam Benty said:

Trying to find 5 laps in the midst of all the Global Warming. We have not had single digit coils in Houston  in 100 years. Boxed in a pair of rear lower control arms to replace aftermarket units. 

Next is stock exhaust headers. Anyone have a pair of Fox Mustang mini tubes for sale?

D007B6E9-D342-4A2D-BB56-D0D1825A3C47.jpeg

Why 5 laps?  I thought the worst the mustang got hit with was 25 pts?

Did some of them get smacked with 50?

9 minutes ago, Cam Benty said:

93 Cobra. 250 points to 300.

That's the same starting point for my 160 hp no torque rx7.  (89 rx7).

Roughly the same weight.

Rx7 has almost 3 gallons more fuel, but 75 less horsepower.

That would be an interesting race!

What did you spend 250 pts on?  I didn't even spend 200 pts with a swap, trans swap, wing, flares, airdam, splitter, and some suspension parts.

I figured it's near impossible to spend more than 200 pts without a swap of some sort! (I figure that car doesn't need a swap).

Ok then. Let us throw out a few inefficient build qualities inherent in the Mustang for road racing. Since anything that helps reliability is more points than performance parts it is a decision one must make with a Fox Platform. Low Cost, simplicity and power is the Fox platform strong suit. The 93 Cobra has a factory oil cooler. The factory oil pan is more for drag racing than road racing. So if we could take turns out of our series we don’t need any points. 😏 Anything not original to your car must be claimed. 

1. Oiling system. The factory pan is not conducive to spirited road racing. A road racing pan is a must. 25 points. Windage tray. 10 points. Non original oil pump pick up 10 points. 
2. Rear control arms. The triangulated rear suspension and control arms are designed to efficiently kill its occupants. They need replaced to effectively run with the big 4.

40 points. Aftermarket control arms are relatively inexpensive. 
3. Pan hard rod and Torque Arm. This is to keep the rear end located under the car and help with rear braking. 20 points.

4. Brakes. The Fox units are adequate for street use. The 95 Mustang is a Fox platform. (As is the TBird, New Edge Mustang, SN 95 etc. Everything from 1979 to 2004 are interchangeable and bolt directly into each other. That is for another discussion.)  So the spindles from a 95 Mustang bolt up to a 93 with 95 ball joints pressed into 93 FLCA’s. This will then let you use the 95 cobra brakes. 20 points for spindles, 20 points for ball joints. The Mustang does not get reduced points for its spindles like the Miata. 

I can go on. I believe you get the message. 

The question is why is it when a Fox platform wins or just podiums it gets hit with points? The SC300, E30’s, Miata’s and 944 win Most of the races. Yet these units get reduced points or parts needed the points are reduced to zero. And.....when this is used as an argument one is told this is the way it is. Except this and shut up about it. 

Good thing there is not favoritism in our series. Do not argue. Do not protest. 

13 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

That's the same starting point for my 160 hp no torque rx7.  (89 rx7).

Roughly the same weight.

Rx7 has almost 3 gallons more fuel, but 75 less horsepower.

That would be an interesting race!

What did you spend 250 pts on?  I didn't even spend 200 pts with a swap, trans swap, wing, flares, airdam, splitter, and some suspension parts.

I figured it's near impossible to spend more than 200 pts without a swap of some sort! (I figure that car doesn't need a swap).

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Cam Benty said:

Ok then. Let us throw out a few inefficient build qualities inherent in the Mustang for road racing. Since anything that helps reliability is more points than performance parts it is a decision one must make with a Fox Platform. Low Cost, simplicity and power is the Fox platform strong suit. The 93 Cobra has a factory oil cooler. The factory oil pan is more for drag racing than road racing. So if we could take turns out of our series we don’t need any points. 😏 Anything not original to your car must be claimed. 

1. Oiling system. The factory pan is not conducive to spirited road racing. A road racing pan is a must. 25 points. Windage tray. 10 points. Non original oil pump pick up 10 points. 
2. Rear control arms. The triangulated rear suspension and control arms are designed to efficiently kill its occupants. They need replaced to effectively run with the big 4.

3. Pan hard rod and Torque Arm. This is to keep the rear end located under the car and help with rear braking. 20 points.

4. Brakes. The Fox units are adequate for street use. The 95 Mustang is a Fox platform. (As is the TBird, New Edge Mustang, SN 95 etc. Everything from 1979 to 2004 are interchangeable and bolt directly into each other. That is for another discussion.)  So the spindles from a 95 Mustang bolt up to a 93 with 95 ball joints pressed into 93 FLCA’s. This will then let you use the 95 cobra brakes. 20 points for spindles, 20 points for ball joints. The Mustang does not get reduced points for its spindles like the Miata. 

The question is why is it when a Fox platform wins or just podiums it gets hit with points? The SC300, E30’s, Miata’s and 944 win Most of the races. Yet these units get reduced points or parts needed the points are reduced to zero. And.....when this is used as an argument one is told this is the way it is. Except this and shut up about it. 

I am not sure about some of your calculations. Isn’t the rear suspension just like our first gen RX7? Remove the upper control arms, add a 3rd link for 10 points and a Panhard for 10 points. Even if you wanted to replace the lower control arms that is only10 points per side, 20 total.

Why would you do any of this when Superlites and 2-piece rotors are free…

23 minutes ago, mhr650 said:

I am not sure about some of your calculations. Isn’t the rear suspension just like our first gen RX7? Remove the upper control arms, add a 3rd link for 10 points and a Panhard for 10 points. Even if you wanted to replace the lower control arms that is only10 points per side, 20 total. I am not taking any points. I boxed a pair of factory control arms. Zero points with material cost.

Why would you do any of this when Superlites and 2-piece rotors are free… Cost. Write me a check I will gladly incorporate it. Thank you for confirming my argument. I have less than 5 k in my car total. Including cage and safety items. 

Edited by Cam Benty
  • Like 2
  • Technical Advisory Committee
1 hour ago, Cam Benty said:

The SC300, E30’s, Miata’s and 944 win Most of the races. Yet these units get reduced points or parts needed the points are reduced to zero.

The SC300 has had one adjustment that I am aware of, in 2017 the base points went from 400 to 500.  What other adjustments were made that I am unaware of?

• Like 1

Since 17 how many races has your 300 won? How many points were you assessed? I will not argue for this series the 300 is the car to have. And your team is fantastic bunch of drivers. Since 17 there has been parts reduced to zero points, the biggest help is brakes. This does not help the have nots. Correct me if I am mistaken your 300 has anti lock braking system. 

Why is it when the 300, E30, Miata or 944 win it is the drivers, preparation and race strategy yet when others win it is the car? C.C. Team have outstanding drivers, preparation and strategy to get that car on the podium being crippled with its fuel capacity. Your team is also the tip of the sword. You do not see this as a bit askew? 

6 minutes ago, Burningham said:

The SC300 has had one adjustment that I am aware of, in 2017 the base points went from 400 to 500.  What other adjustments were made that I am unaware of?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cam Benty said:

The question is why is it when a Fox platform wins or just podiums it gets hit with points? The SC300, E30’s, Miata’s and 944 win Most of the races.

@Cam Benty

I am glad the 93 Mustang Cobra got points.  I think more cars need points. 

Here are the numbers from last year...  the 93 Cobra has 4 podiums with 2 wins in 37 races.  (All by one team I think)

image.png.723a7157aed016ac32eaf4ce6a9ae78c.png

The SC300 has 6 podiums by different teams (but only one win), yet I would like to see it get about 25 more points. 

Only one team won last year with a 944 and it could only win 7 hour events.  (might have a fuel strategy advantage for the odd hour event)

The Altima got 15 points added with only one win. (And I'm glad it got all of them)

Here is another unpopular opinion-

I'd like to see some points on the E30 and a weight reduction on the NA-miata in the swap formula.

30 minutes ago, Ben 595 said:

Here is another unpopular opinion-

I'd like to see some points on the E30 and a weight reduction on the NA-miata in the swap formula.

I see lots of podiums for Miatas, they should all get a VPI increase as well, regardless of the swap weight. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Cam Benty said:

Ugh.  That doesn't sound like fun at all!

Good luck getting it sorted!

• Thanks 1