What happened to your ChampCar today 2021 ??

Ray Franck

1 hour ago, hcsi99 said:

Looks good!  I think you're good as long as the flares don't extend past the mirrors, those are part of the body. 

Flares aren't part of the rule for stock body width.  Only aero devices.  Flares are a safety thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Technical Advisory Committee
1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Flares aren't part of the rule for stock body width.  Only aero devices.  Flares are a safety thing.

The question is:

For the front wheels/tires, Where does the fender flare end, and the air dam start? 10 (left side) and 2 (right side)?

Edited by mcoppola

Got the wheel bearings checked.   Got the brakes and clutch bled.

Fuel lines checked and secured.

Just nut and bolt and cut down splitter remaining.  

Then it's on the trailer and packed for this weekend.

Should be awesome!

• Like 2

Installed 245 Amp main fuse at battery, installed low fuel pressure light between lift pump and surge tank, installed wing window lexan pieces to fill in area between window net and front of door. All while watching ChampCar Live feed!👍

Edited by Timothy G. Elliott
  • Like 1

New wheel bearings, alternator, splitter and splitter frame (finally replacing the damaged frame from our Daytona incident!), added an old tablet for live lap timing, more work on the tune, fixed a melted alternator cable, new arduino based dash (primary shift light - no picture of that yet!), an MS powered LED shift light (backup shift light), and general basic maintenance.

Still to go: adding a RaceCapture telemetry system, brake pads and rotors, and replace the power steering pump that has decided to puke fluid all over my garage as thanks for bringing the car home again!  Guess things were going too smoothly, good ole chumpcar had to switch it up on us.

20210214_144559.jpg.7405f75e46e2f3a0473cd920ba755320.jpg20210214_150202.jpg.8bedf5f5fffe5952f5b8cfbc48a8eed3.jpg20210309_170720_HDR.jpg.2a6cc326c5293e945e9f1ef3227dda28.jpg20210307_152103.jpg.d7159b305fa409eab4860fe7853e3643.jpg

Edited by krispykritter
  • Like 6

Skipped the garage and sat at the computer for hours and went on a spreading spree. Brakes, clutch, suspension, bushings, fire system, window nets, fuel jugs, motor/tranny/diff mounts, etc. 99% of the stuff for finishing the car is on its way. New cage shipped this week as well. Car should be mostly track ready before summer. Giving me the hot months to dial things in a little bit and polish it up. Unless something goes seriously wrong I am ahead of schedule and might even make it to more than one race this year. 

• Like 8

Pulled the holed block out of the Civic, stripped the good parts and fasteners, removed and inspected the clutch and flywheel (good), moved the fresh engine and recently acquired transaxle out where I can put them together, then decided that having an empty engine compartment was a good time to properly duct the rad.

Trimmed the bumper support and such to give the air a nice smooth path from the stock rad opening to the upper part of the rad, fabbed some aluminum panels and riveted them in. Should work. Left my phone at home so no pictures.

Tomorrow, back to putting in the new drive train. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mender said:

Some pictures:

KIMG2698.jpg.631f088304cffd5a96432e6476c8e7f4.jpg

The upper rad is masked by the bumper support structure and there's very little airflow up there.

A bit of trimming and a piece of aluminum to smooth and direct the air:

KIMG2697.jpg.fead5c3f339514091a398cd3518c6465.jpg

And the end result:

KIMG2694.jpg.7fddb53a0d5fb96d278f78b9733b53f8.jpg

Looks awesome!  So that "duct work" is behind the bumper, so not an air dam per say, and it is before the radiator not after, so is accurate to assume that is zero points.

from tech desk - 

2019-11-28 - Radiator Ducting

Radiator Ducting

Tech interpretation and enforcement is any ducting in front of the radiator is free. Ducting after the radiator is material points.

Jay Mauney - Chief Tech Director

On 3/14/2021 at 3:40 PM, Timothy G. Elliott said:

Got the oil change done and back in the trailer ready to go racing next month!

IMG_20210314_114320137_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210314_114214321_HDR.jpg

I am in shock this car exists, and I love / want it. I did beer runs across the IL/WI border in GTI in H.S.......

It was like running moonshine, only dumber.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, atxe30 said:

9e9.gif.18de2269e97e475078e9cd7731134653.gif

Sorry got too much time and money in it to sell it right now...will be racing it at Road America next month! Though if offered enough every thing could be sold?!!! 😂

Edited by Timothy G. Elliott

14 hours ago, tneker said:

from tech desk - 

2019-11-28 - Radiator Ducting

Radiator Ducting

Tech interpretation and enforcement is any ducting in front of the radiator is free. Ducting after the radiator is material points.

Jay Mauney - Chief Tech Director

Honestly, I wouldn't trust a single ruling that's on the Tech Desk at this point based on the nonsense that was going on with it. 

17 minutes ago, Burningham said:

So when will it race?

We tested twice last fall, finally! I mentioned in the autobahn thread that we hope to make that race. My daughter is due with her second child a week after that, but the guys said get everything ready and they would take over if I have to leave.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

daughter is due with her second child a week after that

Good luck with that, seconds usually early you know. 

My son and wife are due the week before with their second so I think I am good. Two years ago with their first we were at Gingerman and I got the call as the race started on Saturday to get home. Missed the event by about 30 minutes which was OK since you can't get in right away. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 55mini said:

Good luck with that, seconds usually early you know. 

My son and wife are due the week before with their second so I think I am good. Two years ago with their first we were at Gingerman and I got the call as the race started on Saturday to get home. Missed the event by about 30 minutes which was OK since you can't get in right away. 

If Ii know you (the wrench), you were checking the cars' data from the CL2 while you were waiting... 🙂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Changing tires yesterday I spotted something disappointing, but not unexpected w/a Champ Car of this many races. Random crack.

Tuesday we will look for more and do some stitch welding.

51062993732_df360e9f5b_b.jpg

Where is the crack?

Trailer work!  Storage room for 5 wheels and tires not on the floor:

20210319_180703.jpg.211eed9cb703df44401f45d8ecf8a4d0.jpg

New brake pads showed up, and didn't fit.  Cut and trim - lower is how they arrive, upper is how they fit:

20210320_170408.jpg.f8d094ea41b94a99a36e637903b700d7.jpg

New harness and window net, now in red so it's easier to find the damn things (they were black, and surprisingly good at hiding):

20210322_173324.jpg.c68e4ac05e52b1788a9a7ab8070f9d71.jpg

And finally, we perma-installed the rear windows with a combination of rivets and bolts:

20210322_173328_HDR.jpg.139e9f825b0abc4968cb031bdec97afc.jpg

Also, replaced that spewing powersteering pump.  This weekend gets new brake pads and rotors and the splitter back on the car, next weekend gets the RaceCapture system installed, and the weekend after that is DAYTONA!  We're all dying for some track time, can't wait!

• Like 1