What happened to your ChampCar today 2021 ??

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've been working on fender flares using metal that we've removed from the trunk lid inside area.  I know it doesn't look like it covers the tire  at 2:00 but it does, optical illusion.    

Hit the dyno to break in new engine build...didn't break, and few extra ponies showed up to the party with a more conservative tune.  Just a few items left to do this weekend, test on Monday and park

Well, I hope they don't try to enforce flare width that exceeds 10 to 2.  It would be a bit tough (and SUCK major) to have to narrow this back up....

Posted Images

I cut my old exhaust header collector flanges off because they were crappy, thin, and cracked (after 3 races).  I am installing .4" thick flanges so I can actually have some clamping force without bending.

Also, I moved the linkage on the clutch pedal down .375" by redrilling a hole in the clutch pedal to increase the volume of fluid pushed to the slave.  Clutch travel is reduced by 1 inch.  5his means that the clutch releases normally and engages at a normal spot.

I also started tearing apart my alternator to rebuild it.  The bearing puller will be here tomorrow.

Finally, I ordered a racecapture pro mk3 and a fire hd 8 tablet.  Now, I will have lots of gauges AND a lap timer in the car instead of all those analog face gauges... 

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 3

tackled a couple items on the short prep list for Road America 

• adjusted cold start in megasquirt 
  • flushed out winter antifreeze (blame me if it is cold enough they let us add some antifreeze)
  • bought spare rotors
  • re-installed fire bottle
  • secured battery

Car hasn't turned laps since 2019 thanks to Covid, might take a second to remember the shift pattern.  Is reverse back and to the right or forward and to the left????

• Like 2
11 hours ago, tneker said:

Car hasn't turned laps since 2019 thanks to Covid, might take a second to remember the shift pattern.  Is reverse back and to the right or forward and to the left????

Yes, both

Edited by Originalsterm
  • Like 1
On 4/5/2021 at 10:15 PM, wvumtnbkr said:

Finally, I ordered a racecapture pro mk3 and a fire hd 8 tablet.  Now, I will have lots of gauges AND a lap timer in the car instead of all those analog face gauges... 

Check out their new AnalogX and cables, makes connecting sensors very easy. Similar to how AiM does it. However will probably cost you $300 or so.

• Thanks 1

I was just gonna use my existing analog sensors and just strip the connectors off.  

I will look into that once i "buy into" the system (if it is everytging i hope it will be).  Otherwise, look for the for sale post in 2 months...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This/last week

New tires

Chased a crack

Welded some seams

Alignment

Check cool Suit

Mess with Chasecam

Replace window net

Replace Belts

Check for fuel leaks

Check fuel pressure

Fixed Finn light

Filled w/premium

Drove to work half dozen times

Topped off fuel

On trailer

See everyone tomorrow.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 9
1 hour ago, Timothy G. Elliott said:

Did my alignment and all loaded up for RA Friday!

You're already loaded up?  You are already way ahead in the race. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, LuckyKid said:

Indeed. I'm hoping to load up Thursday.

Today I installed the new OMP harness, which took a lot of work because it's different than the old harness. And welded on another exhaust hanger. And yesterday I replaced some wheel studs. And last weekend installed a new seat, which took a lot of work because it's different than the old seat. And I tightened and replaced some screws holding the sheet metal bulkhead together. Installed the oil cooler Thursday with new hoses & routing. Changed oil. New window net.

Lots left to do before Road America.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, LuckyKid said:

The 5 P's! For those who don't know it's Proper, Preparation, Prevents, Piss Poor, Performance! 😂 I like having things ready to go so I can concentrate on the last 4 days at work and not worry about the race car. My boss Mark is my co-driver! I do have 2 more smaller 2 Idiot's and a Garage stickers coming on Monday to put on yet, but that is it!😁

IMG_20210404_134508179.jpg

Edited by Timothy G. Elliott
Added last bit to do. And defined 5p's
  • Like 2
On 4/8/2021 at 8:48 AM, Team Infiniti said:

This/last week

Drove to work half dozen times

This might be the best part, how many other CC cars are even tagged lol.  I know you pics to prove it too lol.

• Like 2

Lots of prep for Charlotte.  Can't believe its been nearly 4 years since our last race and a decade since we started racing.

Over the last couple weeks:

-4 new trailer tires

-new/proper radiator ducting (90% there)

-fixed slight/splash leak in fuel cell vent flange

-refit the front bumper cover

-new dyno tune

-wired in new h20 temp/pressure and OP idiot light senders

-new @Sampson Racing Radios IMSA radio harness/PTT/bracket

-new steering wheel

-decided how to/where to install new Lifeline 4.0L fire system bottle.  Made a template for a mounting plate.

-Ordered a pair of wheels/tires to make 2 complete sets

As usual, its going to come down to the wire.

• Like 6

Last night I did a brake fluid flush and put hood pins on the new bonnet. Motive power bleeder is a bit slow but worth its weight in gold. To do list getting smaller, and then it gets bigger, and then smaller again. 

• Like 5

What happened with our Champcar today?  Absolutely nothing!  Damn day job getting in the way.  Good thing it's just down to packing up the tools and getting everything in the trailer for RA.  Thursday is going to be a late night, but that's ok as Friday can't come fast enough.

• Like 4

I got sidetracked trying to stop a very annoying rattle in my sheet metal bulkhead. A few screws were loose but the rattle remained. Gorilla tape kinda helped. I need to get back out to the garage and finish checking for loose bolts that are actually important.

Oh, and I found a knife in the trunk that I thought I had lost!! It was hiding down in a blind spot in front of the fuel cell. This reminds me of impound at Nelson Ledges 2020... Jay asked to see the fuel cell, so I opened the trunk, he poked around for a few seconds and then hands me a very dirty screwdriver that looked like it had been bouncing around in the trunk of a race car for 8 hours "were you missing this??".

The plan is to load up tomorrow and see everyone at the track on Friday!

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 5
12 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Oh, and I found a knife in the trunk that I thought I had lost!! It was hiding down in a blind spot in front of the fuel cell. This reminds me of impound at Nelson Ledges 2020... Jay asked to see the fuel cell, so I opened the trunk, he poked around for a few seconds and then hands me a very dirty screwdriver that looked like it had been bouncing around in the trunk of a race car for 8 hours "were you missing this??".

Hahaha, I had a coat hanger in my car. 

• Like 2

Lolz.

I laid out my surge tank and fuel pump mounting in the engine bay.

I also installed flexpipes in the exhaust.  Need to rewrap it.

To do list for CMP...

1) Move clutch master down .25 inches on firewall.

2) finish wrapping exhaust and put in New gaskets

3) finish surge tank install

4) setup and install racecapture and dash

5) nut and bolt

6) alignment 

Still got a couple months before the race.  Should be able to finish in time....

• Like 2