What happened to your ChampCar today 2021 ??

35 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Why up there in heat and potential harms way?

Mounted on the other side of a firewall from the driver? Ease of maintenance/repair/diagnostics?

My fuel pump and surge tank is going in the same relative place. Reflective adhesive heat shielding for both, and the constantly recirculating fuel should prevent vapour lock issues. As for harm's way, it would take quite an impact to impinge on the mounting space; the engine and front suspension would have to move backward at least a foot.

The rx7 doesn't have any space under the floor.  I do not want to put it in the hatch area and then need to make another bulkhead.  Also, it would be in the same relative harm in the back or the front.

It is mounted on the frame rail which would require a significant impact to have it contact anything.

Good question!

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 1

Got our new (30k motor vs 200k motor) running in the car. Has a solid 8-10 Psi more compression than the old motor.

Filled the Trans up with fluid, and then literally 10 minutes later decided to pull the axles and repack the joints. New oil all over the floor!!! Doh!!

Saturday: Set cars fastest lap @ Daytona then the previous 8 yrs there.

Yesterday:

Team meeting, inspected car (without leaving trailer)

1) Rear brakes used up @ 3x their normal rate, new to junk in 1 event

2) Front brakes, similar,  usually good for 14 hrs will now only good for day 1 of a 7 hr. Same w/tires, one ruined from debris.

3) Power steering level low and leaking up high near the bottle, not sure if a return line cracked or overheated.

4) Transmission fluid darkened, it sort of went softer over the day, had a odd occasional burble when flatout @ the infield kink, 2 of us noticed it, for obvious reasons, neither wanted to discuss during the race.   Happy it lasted throughout the checker...1.5+ yrs since last overhaul.

Discussed going to CMP

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Team Infiniti said:

Discussed going to CMP

Dooo it. 👍.  We'll be there as long as the car survives Charlotte.

Wheels/tires arrived

Fire bottle plate cut/fitted

Worked on final fuel cell bulkhead pieces/sealing

Radio harness installed

New steering wheel mounted with PTT bracket/switch

New fire suits ordered

Got a little more done on the radiator ducting

Used latest dyno to map tractive effort (thanks to this forum)

Started on all the race weekend lists

• Like 1

I'm planning on CMP as well.

I got the exhaust almost finished. 

However, I have been notching subframe in the rx8 to get the mock up gm 60degv6 installed.

Looks promising.20210416_141259.jpg.07dd3d8639c4004e6d9103a82526368c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

@wvumtnbkr say whut?

An RX-8 3400 (or 3500) in the works?

Naw.  I have no hp restrictions.

3900 here we come!

Just a fun street car that I can take the entire family with me.

Plus, eventually, we can find out how much boost a stock junkyard 3900 can take!

Stock is 240 hp / 240 tq.  Should move the rx8 nicely.

And before anybody complains... the rotary was blown.  Even rebuilding it will likely get only 50 to 100k miles out of it.  I plan to keep this one way longer than that!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Naw.  I have no hp restrictions.

3900 here we come!

Just a fun street car that I can take the entire family with me.

Plus, eventually, we can find out how much boost a stock junkyard 3900 can take!

Stock is 240 hp / 240 tq.  Should move the rx8 nicely.

And before anybody complains... the rotary was blown.  Even rebuilding it will likely get only 50 to 100k miles out of it.  I plan to keep this one way longer than that!

What transmission? What are you going to do about all the instrumentation?

Trans is the wct5 out of a 97 through 02 camaro v6.  Bolts right up to the metric bolt pattern. Same trans in our racecar.

For gauges and stuff, you keep the rotary ecu and put the crank sensor mounted to the v6 crank and put the oil pressure sensor in the v6 block.  Gotta figure out speedometer.

• Like 2

Ohhh!

Hey @mender can you tell me if the block dimensions are the same as the 3400 on the 3900?

I am using the 3400 to mock up the swap since I have it.

Do you have a recommendation as to what make, model, and year makes the easiest 3900 swap?

Thanks!

Just so you know, I haven't done any stuff with the LZ9 engine, I'm just accessing internet info. :)

I like the RX8s and have been thinking about engine swaps. I have an all aluminum 6.0 LS sitting in the corner... but too many projects, just dreaming!

Edited by mender
  • Thanks 1

Charlotte prep continues.

-New fire system is 90% roughed in.  Bottle plate/mount finished. Fuel cell and driver nozzles installed.  Didn't include enough tubing so I ordered more (should arrive tomorrow).  Going to chop up some aluminum angle today to hold the engine bay nozzles.

-Tried bleeding the clutch and found my new-ish clutch master had a slight leak in the seal.  Probably why we weren't getting consistent clutch disengagement.  New master found in stock locally (😮) and installed.

-New LF brake disc installed.  Had a failed hub seal on the RF, will need to get a new seal and repack the bearings.

-Just need to add some mesh to the radiator ducting.  Bumper cover trimmed/fitted.  Need to redo the support to the air dam, trailer mishap destroyed what was there.

-Radio checked.  I think I'm really going to like the built in helmet audio.  Ordered a new battery for one of the spare radios.

-Sealing tape added to the fuel cell bulkhead for the lid, needs tech approval and its ready to close up.

Going to be a busy week, but we're in ok shape, me thinks.  Our only goal is to not get a DNF.

• Like 1

Monday:

Power steering leak from stint 6 found to be loose return line clamp, odd, hasn't been touched in 3 races

Car on lift, trans out

New front/rear pads ordered

Flat LR tire from Daytona stint 4 dismounted, looks fine from outside but heat damaged inside rear sidewall ,debris hole found, rim inspected, RIP 3rd RPF1 wheel, age cracked.

Rear rotors worn out after 10? pad slaps, been so long have forgotten original application, need to compare to z32 before ordering.

Wednesday:

Baby shark on lift, diff leak traced to vent issue

Trans mount changed

Trans fluid burnt, seems to be the original unit, according to the previous owner, its figured to have 125k miles +11ish races and a dozen tack days. Swapping used trans Monday.

Should have checked fluid before mount....

• Like 6

Finally got paint on my 750 point 50 year old car  that would get spanked by RBank! LMAO

So again, why are ALL the old 911's valued at 750 points?  Even the early 2 liter ones when the 914-6 is 300 points and every bit the car the early 911's are.........

68786966_1122285887977693_3381158960202514432_n.jpg

IMG_6386-1.JPG

IMG_8212-1.JPG

IMG_8213-1.JPG

IMG_8214-1.JPG

IMG_8217-1.JPG

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, 67Mustang said:

Finally got paint on my 750 point 50 year old car  that would get spanked by RBank! LMAO

So again, why are ALL the old 911's valued at 750 points?  Even the early 2 liter ones when the 914-6 is 300 points and every bit the car the early 911's are.........

IMG_6386-1.JPG

IMG_8212-1.JPG

IMG_8213-1.JPG

IMG_8214-1.JPG

IMG_8217-1.JPG

Looks great!

Have you submitted anything to get the value looked at?  Not exactly a lot of people running a 911 that would be asking about them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Looks great!

Have you submitted anything to get the value looked at?  Not exactly a lot of people running a 911 that would be asking about them.

What he said ^^

Submit for a revalue... there’s a process somewhere. It is probably a leftover from early years where $$$ was important to the value.

I would love to see that beauty on track!!

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 67Mustang said:

IMG_6386-1.JPG

IMG_8212-1.JPG

IMG_8213-1.JPG

IMG_8214-1.JPG

IMG_8217-1.JPG

Far to nice for Champcar!

• Like 1