Jump to content

What happened to your ChampCar today 2021 ??


 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Looks great!

 

Have you submitted anything to get the value looked at?  Not exactly a lot of people running a 911 that would be asking about them.

 

Good luck with that.  I'm still waiting on a value assessment from October.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ian said:

 

Good luck with that.  I'm still waiting on a value assessment from October.

Interestingly I Managed to get a quick response when I submitted for vpi on my 63 Falcon and it got added to the vpi list as well. Maybe they are behind.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ian said:

 

Good luck with that.  I'm still waiting on a value assessment from October.

Ooph...

 

Maybe @E. Tyler Pedersen can help?  I know he was / is the interaction point between the TAC and the board.

 

Maybe not true anymore?

 

I will say I know he is busy with everything going on in the world right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To keep this on track, I finished the fabrication of my racecar exhaust.  Now, I just need to install it

 

That fiberglass wrap can die in a fire.  Itchy everywhere even while wearing doubled up gloves and taping my sleeves.

 

16192049355491074125830.jpg.dd2d9a4eb77db9e74cc48bc9ba740b0f.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
Posted (edited)

WHAT DOES THAT WRAP DO BESIDES RETAIN HEAT IN THOSE THIN PIPES, CAUSING THEM TO FAIL SOONER?

sorry bout the caps.

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We finally got the block installed back in the Audi.  This was the second rebuild since we weren't careful enough the first time (horrible compression and leak down).  This time we plastigauged, measured and torqued everything very carefully.  Now we've got to rebuild the head and get it installed so that we can begin the break in process over the summer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

WHAT DOES THAT WRAP DO BESIDES RETAIN HEAT IN THOSE THIN PIPES, CAUSING THEM TO FAIL SOONER?

sorry bout the caps.

Easy!  Keeps my expensive shoes from melting!

 

I have run this stuff for about 10 years and never had a pipe failure from the wrap.  

 

I've seen that happen, but never experienced it.

 

It keeps the engine bay cooler and my cool shirt cooler from melting.

 

Yea, there are other solutions, but this one works and requires zero fabrication.

 

Plus, it hides all my shitastic welds!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

To keep this on track, I finished the fabrication of my racecar exhaust.  Now, I just need to install it

 

That fiberglass wrap can die in a fire.  Itchy everywhere even while wearing doubled up gloves and taping my sleeves.

 

16192049355491074125830.jpg.dd2d9a4eb77db9e74cc48bc9ba740b0f.jpg

Don't scratch yourself with your gloves on after working with fiberglass......😉

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

To keep this on track, I finished the fabrication of my racecar exhaust.  Now, I just need to install it

 

That fiberglass wrap can die in a fire.  Itchy everywhere even while wearing doubled up gloves and taping my sleeves.

 

16192049355491074125830.jpg.dd2d9a4eb77db9e74cc48bc9ba740b0f.jpg

 

Throw the roll in a bucket of water and do the wrapping wet.  Stops the dust, and seems to go on tighter and hold better.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Ooph...

 

Maybe @E. Tyler Pedersen can help?  I know he was / is the interaction point between the TAC and the board.

 

Maybe not true anymore?

 

I will say I know he is busy with everything going on in the world right now.

 

It's out of the BOD,TAC hands.  They've made their recommendations from what I've been told.  It's up to the CEO to decide on the value.

 

The changing of the guard and the busy race schedule has likely had an impact on something far less time sensitive like my crazy ideas hahahaha.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mcoppola said:

WHAT DOES THAT WRAP DO BESIDES RETAIN HEAT IN THOSE THIN PIPES, CAUSING THEM TO FAIL SOONER?

sorry bout the caps.

On mild steel, definitely!

 

Fortunately my header is stainless because I need the wrap to keep heat out of the rad:

 

1713559689_KIMG2748(1).jpg.ef2fa7c0aa1589e5479885f5b984f38d.jpg

 

I had to rewrap the header, the other wrap got covered in oil when the rod went missing and it then caught on fire when dynoing the next engine. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

That fiberglass wrap can die in a fire.  Itchy everywhere even while wearing doubled up gloves and taping my sleeves.

I use this stuff:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6v1jssGVwRQa0Cl02qIIkZVybZt3DclQBNalNZLxTeHUHAAYKi8n-SHZKnlk&usqp=CAc

 

It's the ceramic wrap, I never use gloves and it's not itchy. I also use the steel tie-wraps augmented with SS safety wire to hold it on. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, mender said:

I use this stuff:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6v1jssGVwRQa0Cl02qIIkZVybZt3DclQBNalNZLxTeHUHAAYKi8n-SHZKnlk&usqp=CAc

 

It's the ceramic wrap, I never use gloves and it's not itchy. I also use the steel tie-wraps augmented with SS safety wire to hold it on. 

 

That's what's on the Rabbit front to back, wetting it down before wrapping definitely helps! Cheap and works well on stainless!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, mender said:

I use this stuff:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6v1jssGVwRQa0Cl02qIIkZVybZt3DclQBNalNZLxTeHUHAAYKi8n-SHZKnlk&usqp=CAc

 

It's the ceramic wrap, I never use gloves and it's not itchy. I also use the steel tie-wraps augmented with SS safety wire to hold it on. 

 

I just use hose clamps. Works awesome and they are removeable.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
3 hours ago, Ian said:

 

It's out of the BOD,TAC hands.  They've made their recommendations from what I've been told.  It's up to the CEO to decide on the value.

 

The changing of the guard and the busy race schedule has likely had an impact on something far less time sensitive like my crazy ideas hahahaha.

 

What are you waiting on? Email me at tyler.pedersen@champcar.org 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I just use hose clamps. Works awesome and they are removeable.

 

Hose clamps is definitely the way.

 

3 minutes ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

 

What are you waiting on? Email me at tyler.pedersen@champcar.org 

 

Will do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trans fluid after last race

 

51127444267_9358f72c25_b.jpg

 

Tear down

 

51139882154_f06e2088f3_b.jpg

 

3rd gear clutch pack showing heat

 

51140211200_66e3ae5311_b.jpg

 

and wear

 

51138431347_d0bc4547df_b.jpg

 

3rd damaged drum, close to ripping circle clip out.

 

51138431352_9bec5a14af_b.jpg

 

Parts unit pulled off engine & stripped

 

51140211355_8a1303a7b5_b.jpg

 

"New" drums, pistons & planets to be cleaned inspected

 

51139324923_75746f73c1_b.jpg

 

Monday:

Order clutches, gaskets & 2/4 band.

 

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll post a race report once the thread is created but took a checkered flag and drove the car on/off the trailer after the race, making Charlotte now our first checkered flag in Champcar.  That's a huge win for us and we look forward to many more this season.  90+% sure we'll be signing up for CMP in June.

 

-Unloaded car/gear from the Charlotte race and set everything out in the sun to dry.

-Started making the post-race repair/upgrade list while still fresh in our minds.

-Ordered the last wiper motor in RA inventory and a spare lift pump (will expand in the report)

 

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bremsen said:

I'll post a race report once the thread is created but took a checkered flag and drove the car on/off the trailer after the race, making Charlotte now our first checkered flag in Champcar.  That's a huge win for us and we look forward to many more this season.  90+% sure we'll be signing up for CMP in June.

 

-Unloaded car/gear from the Charlotte race and set everything out in the sun to dry.

-Started making the post-race repair/upgrade list while still fresh in our minds.

-Ordered the last wiper motor in RA inventory and a spare lift pump (will expand in the report)

 

 

conditions there looked nutz,  the in car camera's pretty much couldn't show much due to the rain and mist.  Great job getting through all that unscathed!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bremsen said:

I'll post a race report once the thread is created but took a checkered flag and drove the car on/off the trailer after the race, making Charlotte now our first checkered flag in Champcar.  That's a huge win for us and we look forward to many more this season.  90+% sure we'll be signing up for CMP in June.

 

-Unloaded car/gear from the Charlotte race and set everything out in the sun to dry.

-Started making the post-race repair/upgrade list while still fresh in our minds.

-Ordered the last wiper motor in RA inventory and a spare lift pump (will expand in the report)

 

 


It’s a great feeling to take the checkered flag under your own power after struggling to get the car sorted out. It gives you additional motivation for sure, at least it did for me. I tuned in to follow you guys. Congratulations 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Bremsen said:

I'll post a race report once the thread is created but took a checkered flag and drove the car on/off the trailer after the race, making Charlotte now our first checkered flag in Champcar.  That's a huge win for us and we look forward to many more this season.  90+% sure we'll be signing up for CMP in June.

 

-Unloaded car/gear from the Charlotte race and set everything out in the sun to dry.

-Started making the post-race repair/upgrade list while still fresh in our minds.

-Ordered the last wiper motor in RA inventory and a spare lift pump (will expand in the report)

 

 

We had issues with low power at RA on Saturday and wasted the day chasing it and never fixing it. Sunday we just ran it and it was cool having full 2 hour stints, also nice to finish with no other issues, almost pulled it out of the trailer yesterday after watching your race Saturday, but it was cold by the lake so I am waiting till this coming weekend. Figured one more week of punishment wouldn't hurt it to bad! Lol 2 Idiot's and a Garage #514. Great job!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...