What happened to your ChampCar today 2021 ??

1 hour ago, shanehutton said:

A gurney flap in front of the venting wouldn’t be a bad idea. 

I think we accidentally (autocorrect played a part) call those turkey flaps if for vents on a hood....  lolz.

1 hour ago, shanehutton said:

A gurney flap in front of the venting wouldn’t be a bad idea. 

Done, you can see them if you zoom in on the painted picture. .75 inch gurney flaps. 

Took the car to the new welder to get the cage done... After going over everything they decided to turn down the job. Called a shop that did another team's cage, they won't touch the RCC kit, and quoted $4500 to do a cage.  

Made the decision that the cage will be pushed further down the line and I will just get everything else done first. I was way ahead of schedule and on budget, but now with the original welder doing a poor job, 2nd welder ruining the original kit and damaging the car, and three other welders flaking I am now behind schedule and at risk of going several thousand over budget because of one single item. Go figure the one thing I am farming out is the one thing not going smoothly. 

So, I am going to step back from that part and just get the rest of the car done and come back to the cage with a fresh mind. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Got my datsun running!!! switched to LS coils from VAG coils. Need a tune but seems to run ok! Goal is to get 200whp from this built L28.

The VAG coils should work, maybe it was some wiring that got fixed when I changed them. 

image.png.c1acec80f1c6480c95bca43b4c354f2c.png

Edited by turbogrill
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Originalsterm said:

They don't seem to have any trouble engaging.  Think it's worth swapping transmissions, or is this probably nothing then?

I wouldn’t go swapping yet unless you are willing to open the trans. But you might have some accelerated fork wear. Make sure all shifter stuff is fresh and tell the drivers to grandma shift. 

On 4/30/2021 at 8:43 AM, Originalsterm said:

Drained the tranny on our e30, anyone ever seen this?

7FAACD0F-942B-401A-91DD-566D224B2E1C.jpeg

Fine aluminum from a liquid cooled CNC machine. Not a good sign. If you have a good spare and the time to change it I would. Cheap insurance. Terrible to have it lock up during the race. 

• Technical Advisory Committee
On 4/30/2021 at 8:43 AM, Originalsterm said:

Honestly looks fine Imo..

no chunks on the magnet just slivers and if it shifts fine I’d send it.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 7:43 AM, Originalsterm said:

Does one of your drivers rest his hand on the shifter far too much? Check video and find the culprit! (This is wild conjecture, I haven’t seen a trans with this kind of wear, but I don’t have much experience)

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 2

Well it's out of trailer quarantine and into the garage, haven't found out for sure why it is so lame, but put the new distributor and coil back on it, still does lose power when warm, change the plugs, and checked the cylinder's, also cleaned the lift pump fuel filter nothing out of the ordinary. Wondering if the 044 fuel pump is not making enough pressure. That is what it acts like... Well enough for this weekend. I do have to fix the axel shaft hubs leaking a bit of gear lube on both sides. Might rebuild my first trans axel first and install that again I think the reverse switch was the leak on that one... To much work, but always fun when it's on the race car.

2 hours ago, Timothy G. Elliott said:

Well it's out of trailer quarantine and into the garage, haven't found out for sure why it is so lame, but put the new distributor and coil back on it, still does lose power when warm, change the plugs, and checked the cylinder's, also cleaned the lift pump fuel filter nothing out of the ordinary. Wondering if the 044 fuel pump is not making enough pressure. That is what it acts like... Well enough for this weekend. I do have to fix the axel shaft hubs leaking a bit of gear lube on both sides. Might rebuild my first trans axel first and install that again I think the reverse switch was the leak on that one... To much work, but always fun when it's on the race car.

Test fuel pressure hot, we have had fuel pumps go soft but not fail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Team Infiniti said:

Test fuel pressure hot, we have had fuel pumps go soft but not fail.

That's what it's acting like, though at RA on Saturday I did change it with the same results. Didn't have an easy way to check fuel pressure but will now..

Thanks!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Timothy G. Elliott said:

That's what it's acting like, though at RA on Saturday I did change it with the same results. Didn't have an easy way to check fuel pressure but will now..

Thanks!

If you study ChampCar results, you quickly find that one of the top 3 failures is fuel pumps. Running flat out for hours at a time causes the fuel in the tank to get surprisingly warm, which shortens the life of the pumps.

Also check your wiring, fuel pumps need good strong current to work efficiently. I thought I had a better idea when Holley gave us these cool fuel pumps that are actually 2 pumps inside one housing, if one fails I have a switch on the dash to switch to the other one. Unfortunately one year at the 24hr when we had a cracked header and everything was getting overheated it was the switch in the dash which failed, so neither pump would work and it took me a while to figure out what the problem was.

pump.thumb.jpg.1ae7452db7c626d5668455e2d0970d7b.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mhr650 said:

If you study ChampCar results, you quickly find that one of the top 3 failures is fuel pumps. Running flat out for hours at a time causes the fuel in the tank to get surprisingly warm, which shortens the life of the pumps.

Also check your wiring, fuel pumps need good strong current to work efficiently. I thought I had a better idea when Holley gave us these cool fuel pumps that are actually 2 pumps inside one housing, if one fails I have a switch on the dash to switch to the other one. Unfortunately one year at the 24hr when we had a cracked header and everything was getting overheated it was the switch in the dash which failed, so neither pump would work and it took me a while to figure out what the problem was.

pump.thumb.jpg.1ae7452db7c626d5668455e2d0970d7b.jpg

What I'd like to do is put the original in line pump back on it though the outside diameter is smaller then the 044 Bosch, it had an inline Bosch that worked great last year... Might have to do that but will have to modify the surge tank to do it.

1 minute ago, Timothy G. Elliott said:

What I'd like to do is put the original in line pump back on it though the outside diameter is smaller then the 044 Bosch, it had an inline Bosch that worked great last year... Might have to do that but will have to modify the surge tank to do it.

Another thing to watch out for is that there are a lot of knockoff 044 pumps out there…

• Like 2

Just now, mhr650 said:

Another thing to watch out for is that there are a lot of knockoff 044 pumps out there…

Yep that's why I bought and installed an oem Bosch but that's the one that was in to begin with Sat. at RA I then installed the knock off that came with the surge tank, and it did the same thing....

51 minutes ago, Timothy G. Elliott said:

Yep that's why I bought and installed an oem Bosch but that's the one that was in to begin with Sat. at RA I then installed the knock off that came with the surge tank, and it did the same thing....

That would cause me to be very suspicious of the wiring/relay. Also check your surge tank closely, they are infamous for coming full of chips, I know this one from experience.

What makes it difficult for you is that it only happens when everything is hot, it is very difficult to recreate this in testing around the neighborhood. Good luck.

Edited by mhr650
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1