What happened to your ChampCar today 2021 ??

I was going to wait for under bearing for rear then decided screw it. Took a flappy disc to all the bearings to get .030" clearance. Sure it will sound like a herd of turtles but 80 turtles = 1hp. #smart. 

Kidding, everything at .0025; rear at .003". Starting to check rods but first two are at .0025". 

Edited by RandomTask
  • Like 2

First, slow clap to GRM.  If you have forward suspension arms (like most Nissans), these are a great/cheap/easy option to cool your brakes.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/building-bargain-brake-ducts-porsche-gt3-parts/

BrakeDeflector-web.jpg.f0d8433928d40ed4bf008657c17c7c64.jpg

Spent the week/weekend finishing up the new livery.  Started off as just a change of colors to match Nissan's white/black/red color scheme, but my [graphic designer] brother took things a step further.  Car is mostly back together now.  Have a few more things to finish up but she's mostly ready.

Prepping-web.jpg.0bc842fed9a4ea2e599d3d62305e5e30.jpgTaped-web.jpg.5099b1a4054520176e3ee4cb2e0ccd77.jpgLivery1-web.jpg.5c885f132d882fdd811b55870562cc60.jpgLivery2-web.jpg.a1f39eee9b37a348c27b9f44b2895693.jpgLivery3-web.jpg.9759b5cdbd42274a8c5054a34916efd3.jpg

• Like 10

We have a set of something similar scabbed off a z32 (turbo?) But does not look like they do as good job...

Now that I know they exist, Sharky 2 may wind up with a pair of em, if they fit well we may order some.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, petawawarace said:

I also put some color/decals on our car this weekend.  Didn’t go near as fancy as that though.  

5B6669C1-14FA-4222-BB2B-F83F366BBDD9.jpeg

Are you planning on running champcar?  If hate to have to cover up those awesome numbers you have!  Are they magnetic or anything?

30 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Are you planning on running champcar?  If hate to have to cover up those awesome numbers you have!  Are they magnetic or anything?

Yes, but we also do a few local sprint races for testing.  Last year I paid through the nose to have the Champcar decals shipped to me. Not doing that again.  I’ll wait until a race to get the number plates.  
I also have a vinyl cutter, so it’s not a big deal to print some new ones off. 

Edited by petawawarace
  • Like 1

Installed new clutch. Mostly. One of the bolts for the guide tube was severely over torqued and stripped out... after trying a few things to no avail, found a bolt similar in size to the head of the stuck bolt, welded the bolts together and then was finally able to get the bolt out with a big breaker bar. Ate up a ton of time and I have to replace the bolt, but could have been way worse.

Pulling the engine out revealed whole new areas of deficient maintenance to correct. The crank case vent tube was not only clogged, but brittle, a few vacuum lines were past their due date, and I think I have every last oil seal replaced so it should be done leaking on me. Found the wires for the oil level sensor were only held together by a thick layer of dirt and sludge. I wiped them down while replacing the gasket and the insulation wiped away too... 

Tomorrow I hope to put the engine and trans back in. 

Edited by Fetterhund
  • Like 1

Did a compression test so we have something to worry about during the weekend.  It wasn't terrible, but not super great either. With no baseline, we'll just have to see if things get any worse.  New radio harness checked and installed.  Found one of our headset wires was torn/frayed and remembered the rubber ear/strap piece broke at Charlotte.  Grabbed the new parts from Racing Radios (nice having them local).  They've been great to deal with.  Frostfighter defrost wired up since storms are expected on Saturday.  Spent about 1.5hrs going through and cleaning out the track tools and reorganizing spares/fluids.  Staged everything to load up tonight.  TR delivered a set of RS-4s yesterday, dropped off for mounting/balancing this am.  Raised the pop-up to air out and do a little cleaning.  So happy we get to have family/fan club on site for a race again.  Its gonna be a fun weekend.

• Like 3

Got the new dash installed.  Still need to wire it up to the car, but that shouldn’t be bad. Got it on the scales last night too. Our diet worked really well.   Shaved almost 250lbs off from last year.  Hoping to get to the track to shakedown the car this weekend.  

2BA3C8A1-64AD-4C92-A6FD-AC4F89DDCF96.jpeg

0EEFE662-83C0-4401-BFE9-9751F9A218FE.jpeg

• Like 5

On 6/21/2021 at 10:23 AM, petawawarace said:

I also put some color/decals on our car this weekend.  Didn’t go near as fancy as that though.  

5B6669C1-14FA-4222-BB2B-F83F366BBDD9.jpeg

The raciest Cobalt I have ever seen. 

Nice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, petawawarace said:

Got the new dash installed.  Still need to wire it up to the car, but that shouldn’t be bad. Got it on the scales last night too. Our diet worked really well.   Shaved almost 250lbs off from last year.  Hoping to get to the track to shakedown the car this weekend.  

2BA3C8A1-64AD-4C92-A6FD-AC4F89DDCF96.jpeg

0EEFE662-83C0-4401-BFE9-9751F9A218FE.jpeg

Where did you source the glare shield from? You plan on shielding the primary gauge cluster?

12 minutes ago, EngEtan said:

Where did you source the glare shield from? You plan on shielding the primary gauge cluster?

I drew it up and 3D printed it.  
The main gauge cluster is only used for a tach now really. The AIM system has a tach and shift lights, but I still like having an analog tach.   I may get rid of the cluster and put a single tach there. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bandit said:

The raciest Cobalt I have ever seen. 

Nice.

We’ll see how competitive it is.  We raced last year in one race, but had a Map sensor fail the Friday night before the race and it caused the VVT to be stuck and lose a decent amount of power.  Our lap times in testing last year were about 3 seconds off the fastest Champcars at Calabogie.  Hopefully the changes this year bring us closer.  

• Like 1

Got the engine and trans back in, front clip reinstalled. Fired up, but throwing a cam shaft position sensor code (P0340). Tested sensor and harness and both seem ok based on multimeter. Tomorrow will hookup laptop and use bmw specific tools to diagnose more deeply. Could be minor, but the stock harness was looking pretty shabby, so might need to pull intake off again and redo some of the wire harness. 

• Like 1

Never got to diag on the camshaft position sensor. Woke up at 3am with my left eye swollen and red. Ended up going to urgent care. It was a scratched cornea! After noon before hitting the garage. Front shocks, springs, and brake done. The the passenger rear turned into a mess and took 5 hours... Tomorrow will wrap up the suspension, then fix the cam position sensor, and bleed the brakes and clutch. The list of "to do" is now much shorter than the list of "done." 

• Like 2

Installing slave cylinder, one of the holes in the magnesium bellhousing rung out when installing. No room for drill... had two options; yank everything back out or what I did, cut shank on drill and use wrwnch to painfully slowly drill out to helicoil. 

20210627_175514.jpg

• Like 1

I had the same problem, after I installed the helicoils I put in some studs in place of the bolts so I never have to worry about it again. Race cars come apart so often I like to use studs in a lot of places, keeps you from wearing out the threads in soft housings. 

• Like 5

On a hot lap in the last practice session on Friday exiting T8 onto the back straight, I noticed a slight loss of power.....followed immediately by a kaboom.  I exited track left and brought the car to a stop, a stream of oil through the grass behind me (luckily none on the track).  Our last usable engine and good spare transmission meant our weekend (and season) was over.  Only pic of the aftermath so far.  This is bottom/rear of the oil pan between the engine and transmission.

shrapnel.jpg.ebac6dce1d8f2c0a82c6f9be2da6c638.jpg

• Sad 7

Thanks. Yeah I wanted to walk around and say hello to several teams, but only got a to a couple before we were ready to head out.  Haven't see the results, hope you guys had a good weekend.

52 minutes ago, Bremsen said:

On a hot lap in the last practice session on Friday exiting T8 onto the back straight, I noticed a slight loss of power.....followed immediately by a kaboom.  I exited track left and brought the car to a stop, a stream of oil through the grass behind me (luckily none on the track).  Our last usable engine and good spare transmission meant our weekend (and season) was over.  Only pic of the aftermath so far.  This is bottom/rear of the oil pan between the engine and transmission.

shrapnel.jpg.ebac6dce1d8f2c0a82c6f9be2da6c638.jpg

Wow sorry to hear about this, I know it hurts.

This is exactly why I am planning to install a more modern readily available engine and transmission in my car. I just checked and car-part lists over 50 pages with an average price around $300 for the engine.

14 minutes ago, mhr650 said:

Wow sorry to hear about this, I know it hurts.

This is exactly why I am planning to install a more modern readily available engine and transmission in my car. I just checked and car-part lists over 50 pages with an average price around $300 for the engine.

Thanks.  After several months building it and a relatively successful CMS race, it was a bit of a gut punch.  We had all our family coming down and everything so lots of disappoint to go around.  I doubt we'll be back with the VG just due to good used parts availability, looking at later model engine/trans swap options now. 

Got the cobalt out for testing on the weekend.  Car ran pretty well. Only a few small issues.

1 - tires were toast. We knew this, and have more tires ready, but this was just a shakedown. 

2 - Weird issues with data logger. When plugged into the OBD port, it disables the tach, power steering and activates a security issue. I'm assuming its a Can-Bus configuration with the logger, but when I went to connect it to the laptop, turn out my usb cable was damaged and couldn't connect.

3 - My coolant pressure sensor worked fine at idle, but once rpm is up, its saying there is less than 4psi of pressure. I installed it in a spot where there was already a hole, but its right before the waterpump. I think the pressure drop there is causing issues. Will try to relocate

4 - Attempts to test live streaming capabilities failed miserably. Only made it 1/2 a lap before lost connection. Poor cell coverage in the woods here I think.

• Like 3