What happened to your ChampCar today 2021 ??

7 hours ago, mhr650 said:

The ATZ-10 is LiFePO4. I have the exact same battery on my KTM, turning over a 1300cc, 13.5:1 compression V-twin is no easy task and it works like a charm every time.

The ad just lists it as Li-ion I didn't read any further as we've no need to replace the Miata gel cell we have so I haven't researched lighter options.

Final tweaks to the wiring harness and a test of the power shutoff switch. This unfortunately showed the limitations and deficiencies of my bargain PDM kit. It permanently locked 3 circuits in the ON position engine did shutdown. So it’s back to the 4 pin Bosch relay until I hit the lotto. Have to build a new switch panel too.  I did get my small winch installed in the trailer and tested it too.  Found a new windshield and installation is set for next week. 

• Sad 1

First test drive. In 3 months I:

-Installed new fuel system

-Rebuilt suspension including all new bushimgs and ball joints

-Rebuilt motor

-Fabricated new dash and re-wired to be clean and not a botched abortion of a rats nest.

-New ujoints and clutch

-Had fire system serviced

-Changed a bunch of stuff out to stop getting dinged on small stuff points. 

Thus far, only thing I noticed is a small leak from the water pump where I capped off the heater core lines. That indian head gasket sealer didnt work so gonna step it up to some JB weld. 

Only things left before VIR

-Fix leak

-Alignment

-Break in clutch/motor/brakes

-Dyno (Shes lean)

-Install some no-skid on the floor.

20210712_193157.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, RandomTask said:

-Rebuilt motor

-Fabricated new dash and re-wired to be clean and not a botched abortion of a rats nest.

-New ujoints and clutch

Thus far, only thing I noticed is a small leak from the water pump where I capped off the heater core lines. That indian head gasket sealer didnt work so gonna step it up to some JB weld. 

-Fix leak

-Alignment

-Dyno (Shes lean)

20210712_193157.jpg

Much jealousy, would love to have built a C4 instead of a Fiero...

Edited by mender
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, mender said:

I always wanted to do Mont-Tremblant.

I did the Jim Russell school at Riverside instead.

Good thing you chose Riverside. Mont Tremblant is still around. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mender said:

Much jealousy, would love to have built a C4 instead of a Fiero...

Meh, it's been a pain. I'll be swapping in an L98 over the winter to lose a lot of points to be competitive. 

Even with that, Fiero gives a lot more room for improvement in terms of points. Get a '88 Duke; Take points for head (add super duty head), do everything you can to make sure block can live. (Forged everything), and have 250 points for everything else. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RandomTask said:

-Rebuilt motor

-New ujoints and clutch

-Fix leak

-Alignment

-Dyno (Shes lean)

20210712_193157.jpg

Good luck.  love seeing other C4's out there...  

• Technical Advisory Committee

Finally finished up the new exhaust installation to go along with the engine remove/replace (found a few bent valves after Rd America..  ugh), and fuel cell install.  And fired up the car for the first time since Rd. Amer.  Just in time for Nelsons!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RandomTask said:

Meh, it's been a pain. I'll be swapping in an L98 over the winter to lose a lot of points to be competitive. 

Even with that, Fiero gives a lot more room for improvement in terms of points. Get a '88 Duke; Take points for head (add super duty head), do everything you can to make sure block can live. (Forged everything), and have 250 points for everything else. 

why does an L98 drop your points? With the amount of free stuff now a C4 should be able to compete. 

1 hour ago, RandomTask said:

I swapped in an LX9 for 56 points, dead reliable, decent power and fuel economy, and was at 497 points for Laguna in 2015; no changes to the car, just rules, and now it would be at 318 points. 

8 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

why does an L98 drop your points? With the amount of free stuff now a C4 should be able to compete. 

TPI C4's are 450 points IIRC. LT1's are 100 more.

Free stuff doesn't include coil overs and fiberglass leaf's are not the easiest to find. Along with a number of other things that cost points.

Edited by Bandit

33 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

L98 would allow us to run it as a '91 which is valued at 450pts. 92-96 cars are valued at 550. So save 100 points. With generous use of a grinder and a working the motor within the rules I'm pretty sure I can get it back to (if not close to) '96 HP levels (WITH not having to rev it as hard either). But the biggest driving reason to going to L98 is we won't have to deal with this horrible optispark. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Bandit said:

TPI C4's are 450 points IIRC. LT1's are 100 more.

Free stuff doesn't include coil overs and fiberglass leaf's are not the easiest to find. Along with a number of other things that cost points.

yes but Moog springs are 0 points, as are Bilstein's. The bakes don't need help, plenty of tire combo's and camber plates can be made. Not sure where I'd use the 50 points

2 hours ago, RandomTask said:

L98 would allow us to run it as a '91 which is valued at 450pts. 92-96 cars are valued at 550. So save 100 points. With generous use of a grinder and a working the motor within the rules I'm pretty sure I can get it back to (if not close to) '96 HP levels (WITH not having to rev it as hard either). But the biggest driving reason to going to L98 is we won't have to deal with this horrible optispark. 

We just hogged out our stock heads real good. (305) was a TPI (88) car running it as an 84 w/ carb. You get way more rpm that way. But we start at 200 so we have a lot of room to work with. 

3 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

yes but Moog springs are 0 points, as are Bilstein's. The bakes don't need help, plenty of tire combo's and camber plates can be made. Not sure where I'd use the 50 points

Moog springs are zero points if you find them that fit within the rules.

Corvettes have transverse leaf springs iirc.  Adding a moog spring would not be free.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Only on rear, does moog not make leafs for other applications? (seriously I never looked)

Huh.  Everything I'm finding is a big transverse spring in the front for c4.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Huh.  Everything I'm finding is a big transverse spring in the front for c4.

Over the years I may have worked on  a dozen em, and currently own more then one (but less than 2) apparently c4 Corvette are not my forte

The things we do...9:22pm, medium rain, flashlight in hand only to find out you are correct.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Over the years I may have worked on  a dozen em, and currently own more then one (but less than 2) apparently c4 Corvette are not my forte

The things we do...9:22pm, medium rain, flashlight in hand only to find out you are correct.

C4, C5, C6, and C7 generations are all transverse leaf springs front and rear. Very limited on options and anything that's available to buy is spendy :(

Edited by RandomTask
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

We just hogged out our stock heads real good. (305) was a TPI (88) car running it as an 84 w/ carb. You get way more rpm that way. But we start at 200 so we have a lot of room to work with. 

It's not the heads that limit RPM, it is the TPI intake. The runners are around 21 inches long, designed that way to make use of the third harmonic, to ram more air into the cylinders. They are great for torque but do not like to rev as the harmonics "stall" above about 4700rpm or so. And the tubes are too small as well.

At best one can get them to basically flatline from 5000 to 6000 rpm. Stock the horsepower starts falling before 5k.

TPI is essentially a modernized version of the old Long Ram intakes Mopar ran back in the early 60's. They also made a lot of torque but were not good for horsepower and did not MPH well at all on the strip.

Edited by Bandit
  • Like 2