What happened to your ChampCar today 2021 ??

Replaced race seat. Window net now has room to put up or go down. I actually like the new seat better anyhow. As big as the 5 series E39 is, the position of the seat in relation to the b-pillar creates an unexpectedly tight fit for larger sized containment seats. 

Inspected the oil leak. New gasket seems to be good and dry. Appears to be coming from rear main seal. Just replaced the darn thing when I did the clutch. Before dropping the trans and clutch, going to put a camera through the inspection port and verify. Maybe it will be something simple that I over looked. 

While looking under the car with it running I noticed a leak from where the fuel line goes into the fuel filter. There is a small section of rubber hose. Seems like everything was good, except for a very loose hose clamp. Tightened it up, leak stopped. 

Hood latch center cable broke after spring in lower latch jammed. Ordered new parts... sticking with factory latch, it is very robust and already installed. Decided to skip on hood pin or aero catch for now.

Went to replace all the control arms, found the ball joint guides pressed into wheel carrier/steering knuckle were loose and deformed and do not have a direct replacement. So.... new wheel carrier/steering knuckles. 

And... found out that I mis-clicked when I ordered new sway bar end links, and... wrong size. That pretty much killed my motivation for working in a 107 degree garage for the day. 

So waiting on parts. So close to completion, but geez, some of the unexpected surprises... and the discovery of hidden dodgy repair jobs... Next time I build a race car, I am completely stripping it and starting bare. 

• Like 3

Back to my turd. Shook car down at summit point. Aside from running horribly lean (15.5 afr, tune scheduled for fri), kept hearing a "clink" in the suspension.... 

Found it...

Also decided to address floor/fuel cell heating issue. 

20210724_193701.jpg

20210725_173445.jpg

• Like 1

So chasing down the lean issue w/ my fuel system; I have an entirely new system in place. Even with the vacuum on the regulator disconnected, the MOST I can get is 35psi. (this is what's causing my lean condition). I've changed the pump a bunch. First with an autostore unit, next a nice Delphi unit, now with a walboro 255. . . nothing changes with the fuel pump.  I'm going to check to see what the voltage is at the fuel pump. I'm also going to change the supply line thinking -may be- something is restricting it. That stated, even if it was kinked, that shouldn't impact pressure but flow rate. Even if I cycle the ECU a bunch for priming, it goes to 35psi on the first prime and never goes any higher. . . 

Ugg...

1 hour ago, RandomTask said:

So chasing down the lean issue w/ my fuel system; I have an entirely new system in place. Even with the vacuum on the regulator disconnected, the MOST I can get is 35psi. (this is what's causing my lean condition). I've changed the pump a bunch. First with an autostore unit, next a nice Delphi unit, now with a walboro 255. . . nothing changes with the fuel pump.  I'm going to check to see what the voltage is at the fuel pump. I'm also going to change the supply line thinking -may be- something is restricting it. That stated, even if it was kinked, that shouldn't impact pressure but flow rate. Even if I cycle the ECU a bunch for priming, it goes to 35psi on the first prime and never goes any higher. . . 

Ugg...

My money is on the voltage at your pump. Probably want to check the power and ground wiring.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EngEtan said:

My money is on the voltage at your pump. Probably want to check the power and ground wiring.

I went to cap off the return (right after the regulator) to see how much pressure the pump can make. . . In doing so I realized I didn't attach the return line clip (currently looking for it). After that, I'm going to check the voltage. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Triangle42 said:

Did I mention under coating sucks?  3 hours and 2 people later we are only halfway done...

Dry ice? Heat?

2 hours ago, RandomTask said:

Ugg...

Ground/power under load is a good place to look, deadhead pressure is another (this is where our infiniti pumps show their weakness)

Have you looked to see if there is a leak @ the pipe connecting pump to sender?

• Like 2

Voltage check for sure. Don’t be afraid to run a temporary hot and ground directly from the battery. Check filter, blow out lines with compressed air. And maybe a temporary supply and return fuel line. Lastly just because it’s a new regulator doesn’t mean it’s working. Block line and remove regulator and see what max pressure pump can develop. 

1 minute ago, Triangle42 said:

One of each and 2 grinders.  Tuff to get dry ice on the bottom of the car.

image0 (2).jpeg

Have yet to try, but dry ice crushed mixed with rubbing alcohol poured on the floor, wait, bang frozen brittle stuff off bottom of floor.

*may not work on euro cars*

2 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Have yet to try, but dry ice crushed mixed with rubbing alcohol poured on the floor, wait, bang frozen brittle stuff off bottom of floor.

*may not work on euro cars*

Sounds to good to be true.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Triangle42 said:

Sounds to good to be true.

We have chiseled and pried off the stuff on a super hot gooey day, have also had success with dry ice without alcohol only to learn that afterwards ...

I do not recommend what we did here building the current shark as it left dents and dots of residue (that bleed through paint sometimes)

5 hours ago, RandomTask said:

Ugg...

If you are running the TPI you can get an adjustable pressure regulator.  it replaces the cap of the regulator on the back of the fuel rail.  we had a problem like that when we first built the car.  We ended up with a new pump and re-wired and it has been good now.  But having the ability to adjust the pressure was helpful. 

Set the fuel pressure to 55 idle; would go up to 70psi+ under load and injectors would cut out/miss. . . AFR was good at 12.7. 

Lowered fuel pressure to stock 45psi at idle, AFR would go up to 13.5 . .. 

Looks like I can't avoid getting it tuned :(

Just now, Team Infiniti said:

Pressure curve wrong? Would a stock regulator get things back without tune?

Ehh, it's my own damn fault. I'd run a stock regulator if I could. The real reason my AFR went up is I opted for a thinner head gasket and it boosted my compression a bit. 

• Like 1