What happened to your ChampCar today 2021 ??

Ray Franck

44 minutes ago, Cam Benty said:

The Vette is comical.

The Vette is awesome.

44 minutes ago, Cam Benty said:

The Altima is less points than the Maxima. Figure that one out. The Altima gets 15 points with more hp, fuel and less weight. The cobra gets 25 points and was a second slower at Daytona. Go figure. 

Anything that is beating up on the BMW/Miata/CRX/SC300 teams will be penalized. 

Someone earlier made a snarky comment concerning the low number of a certain domestic vehicle in this series. Is there any wonder why? Build a hairdresser car or yuppiemobile and you have no worries about your points being raised or any rule being implemented that would negatively effect your fun time. Bring something outside the chosen 4 and you will have your parade rained upon if you kick some ass and take some names.

A vocal number of the forum mafia scream there are no classes. Well, besides the fact there actually are four, this misguided idea that a Miata or E30 should have the same chance of winning overall at high speed tracks as they do at lower speed, more technical tracks, is going to turn off anyone that doesn't care to run one of those cars.

A fairly large number of the front runners are on the forum and of course they don't want nor care about classes. They are running for overall and classes that actually meant something might negatively effect some of them. When others on the forum say they do in fact put a lot of pride in a class win they are poo poo'd. "Participation trophy!" is thrown around. Well, guess what. Without the manipulation of VPI's, swap weights and free stuff your Miata/CRX/E30 would be getting blown in the ditch at high speed tracks by cars made for that kind of work. As they should and as they are in most any other series.

btw-Classes doesn't mean one can't also win overall. The C5R won overall at the Daytona 24 one year over prototypes and such, so it's not like it can't be done.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burningham said:

You are correct sir, I thought the cobra was 17 gal but thought that was stock but obviously that is with the cell.

As far as weight, less than 100 pounds is not significant.

Respectfully,  you have a difficult job. All of your team is respected here. Just remember you are one of us. We are not the enemy. 

• Like 2

How are we on the topic of slowing down miata’s? This is what happened to your Champcar 2021. Move along to another thread.

On topic, we installed a new fuel cell we got a banging deal on, in doing so i need to relocate the fuel pumps, and surge tank, as well as re-fab the sheet metal in the rear lol. Anyone looking for a 22gal fuel cell with 1 year of cert left fully setup with venting, discriminator, and hydramat?

We then started cleaning and re-lubing our suspension components. Next is nut and bolt check everything, put on lock nuts, and were waiting for Spring Road America!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

On 2/17/2021 at 1:04 PM, Ben 595 said:

@Cam Benty

I am glad the 93 Mustang Cobra got points.  I think more cars need points. Self evident. 

Here are the numbers from last year...  the 93 Cobra has 4 podiums with 2 wins in 37 races.  (All by one team I think) E30 has 6 wins. Miata 6 wins. They did not get 25 points. Or 50 points. Question is why? If the Cobra’s have less than half the wins? 

image.png.723a7157aed016ac32eaf4ce6a9ae78c.png

The SC300 has 6 podiums by different teams (but only one win), yet I would like to see it get about 25 more points.  This has not been the question. Will not happen.  

Only one team won last year with a 944 and it could only win 7 hour events.  (might have a fuel strategy advantage for the odd hour event) No fuel strategy with 6.7 gallons of fuel more than the Cobra’s. It is Porsche reliability issues. They will get it worked out. It will be expensive. Best of luck to them. 

The Altima got 15 points added with only one win. (And I'm glad it got all of them) You are correct.  20 gallons of fuel compared to 15. 260 hp to 240. The Altima gets 15 points. The Cobra’s get 25 and 50 and they are slower. Sounds fair to you? The Altima has reliability issues or it would win more. They will get it worked out.

Here is another unpopular opinion-

I'd like to see some points on the E30 and a weight reduction on the NA-miata in the swap formula. Will not happen. You know it. As well as everyone else in our series. 

Edited by Cam Benty

22 minutes ago, Cam Benty said:

Here is another unpopular opinion-

I'd like to see some points on the E30 and a weight reduction on the NA-miata in the swap formula. Will not happen. You know it. As well as everyone else in our series. 

He must be eyeing up the swap kits to stuff an LS in the hairdresser car.

Probably shouldn't be green....

Moved the trailer today and brought the car back from the dyno tuning only to get it buried in the large mounds of snow.

Unhooked and maybe in a few days I'll be able to try to move it, spring is coming right????

Snow is over the fender wells, could be a problem.

• Sad 2

Slightly hotter cams installed (claimed), trying to get an appt with a tuner.

Ordered a new water temp switch and M14-1/8"NPT adapter so I can swap locations for our WT/WP warning light senders.  Also finally adding the OP warning light switch. 

Ordered a different fluid level switch (buna) to see if it floats better (thanks Huggy!).  I think we're having issues with swirl in the surge tank causing the SS float to stick down (light stays on).  Hoping a bit more buoyancy will help.

Working on proper radiator inlet ducting.  Just need to fab up some brackets to secure it and then trim/modify the bumper cover to fit.

Went to look for tires at TR and they've removed almost all of the RS-4 sizes.  Anyone know whats up?

30 minutes ago, Bremsen said:

Went to look for tires at TR and they've removed almost all of the RS-4 sizes.  Anyone know whats up?

As far as I understand, they will not list the tires at all when they are not in stock. I've yet to call TR direct to get feedback on timing of the 2021 stock. I snagged 2sets in October last year before they disappeared...

• Like 1

6 days with no water or electricity I pulled the motor and decided to give the motor a once over. I have come to the conclusion I cannot deal with the cold as I once could in my youth. My wife And I have been through 7 Hurricanes since 2001. This cold snap was brutal on us. Anyway....

Bearings looked brand new. No new furnace needed this year. 

320D04F4-7361-4242-A309-FFD67CF1E442.jpeg

• Like 1

This generator has been invaluable during our time with no power or water. I made a cable to back feed power into the garage 240 fifty amp outlet. ( yes it is illegal I know. Sometimes one needs to do whatever is necessary to survive.) This unit ran everything in our home, with common sense, including the heat pump for 144 hour continuously until the power was restored. Our elderly neighbors and some children  stayed with us until power was restored. We feed 28 people over the last 6 days. We all banded together to help each other in a brutal time. 

Why? Why did this happen? There will be some heads rolling in Texas. 

5BEC88A3-FD4F-4873-A09A-651D3502C5CF.jpeg

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Cam Benty said:

This generator has been invaluable during our time with no power or water. I made a cable to back feed power into the garage 240 fifty amp outlet. ( yes it is illegal I know. Sometimes one needs to do whatever is necessary to survive.) This unit ran everything in our home, with common sense, including the heat pump for 144 hour continuously until the power was restored. Our elderly neighbors and some children  stayed with us until power was restored. We feed 28 people over the last 6 days. We all banded together to help each other in a brutal time. 

Back feeding like that is illegal because it will hurt or kill the Electricians working to restore your power.  Please tell me that you disconnected from the grid when you did this!

Fair question. And for you sanity I am well aware of the dangers. The main in the box was off and I never left the house or area unattended. An electrician made the cable for me. Yes it had a built in breaker etc. 

Hopefully you never have to make those decisions.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cam Benty said:

Sorry to hear that.  We had an ice storm in Oregon and lost power for 5 days. I ran a generator and extension cords to power the fridge, a space heater, and a lamp. Never again.  Wasn't brave enough to try wiring it into the panel.  Luckily, I have an electrician coming to wire a plug and interlock switch so that I can power the furnace and other essentials next time.  Good on you for helping your neighbors.  I tried but the only thing they'd accept is a charge on a cell phone and kindle 🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cam Benty said:

( yes it is illegal I know. Sometimes one needs to do whatever is necessary to survive.

Not to worry I have done the same, almost, since we have lost power for extended periods I have a breaker in the main panel wired for a 220 cord to the outside generator location. It works to run the well and frig/freezer and some small amounts of lights. Got a wood burner we light up and burn 24/7 for heat. I understand completely, one does what you need to do........fyi we finally got into double digits today after 11 days of sub zero. And yes the main breaker to the pole is off.

• Like 3