What happened to your ChampCar today 2021 ??

11 hours ago, Snorman said:

Wouldn't that explain the coolant loss?

It would. 

It's weird though how little it is. I have to flog on the car for 30 min to lose a couple quarts. Even then, no coolant in oil and nothing coming out of tail pipe as much as I can tell. 

2 hours ago, mender said:

Leakdown and watch for bubbles in the rad to locate the bad hole. 

This is the best test.  I usually use a spill free funnel on the radiator filled to a mark so I can watch for volume increase.  Sometimes it takes a long time for bubbles to migrate to the cap.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RandomTask said:

Twas blown b/w 3 and 5. Not how I wanted to spend the evening just over 24 hrs before I have to be on the road.... 

Replaced both head gaskets. Mostly buttoned back up except for intake. 

20210804_225216.jpg

Back in the day dirt tracking Monte Carlos, Have discovered a bad head at 4pm and raced @ 7 (1:20min drive included) 

If u need help at the track...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RandomTask said:

Twas blown b/w 3 and 5. Not how I wanted to spend the evening just over 24 hrs before I have to be on the road.... 

Replaced both head gaskets. Mostly buttoned back up except for intake. 

20210804_225216.jpg

I use FelPro head gaskets.

Lean, higher compression, misfire because of injector going off line usually means detonation and lifting the head ...

Between the middle two cylinders is the most common spot for overheating because of the two exhaust ports, on race heads we plumb in coolant through external lines to cool that area.

Edited by mender
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, mender said:

I use FelPro head gaskets.

Lean, higher compression, misfire because of injector going off line usually means detonation and lifting the head ...

Between the middle two cylinders is the most common spot for overheating because of the two exhaust ports, on race heads we plumb in coolant through external lines to cool that area.

On my BB Mopar builds I like to use steel shim gaskets, the crush really thin and they don't blow. We also used a similar product on our 305. They weren't cheap either. 

25 minutes ago, RandomTask said:

Lolol, pull out pf garage. Filling up coolant and car cuts off. Try to restart and backfiring, etc. Pull opti, bearing exploded. FML. I think the car knows the abuse its about to experience...

If it makes you feel better, I chased down a bad ignition coil for 3 weeks after changing the Opti spark twice...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, atxe30 said:

ok, all four on......clean up tomorrow, then hand-off to paint dude...

64996419237__9AECC572-B87B-44A9-AF54-88A0AC3E42AB.png.8484b3b635c153c492c8a6069e777aff.png

I would highly recommend that you weld a 1/4" steel rod onto the outer edge of each of your flares, much stronger and much less likely to cut a tire if it gets folded in. 

Edited by mender

1 hour ago, mender said:

I would highly recommend that you weld a 1/4" steel rod onto the outer edge of each of your flares, much stronger and much less likely to cut a tire if it gets folded in. 

Would it follow the edge you mean? So do you bend it or just cut it up?

19 hours ago, atxe30 said:

ok, all four on......clean up tomorrow, then hand-off to paint dude...

64996419237__9AECC572-B87B-44A9-AF54-88A0AC3E42AB.png.8484b3b635c153c492c8a6069e777aff.png

paint dude? grind that down, jam some filler primer on it, grab a few cans of gloss black and spray bomb it. Gloss black matches up pretty easy. This entire bumper was white, not anymore. newbird.jpg.6b6188ab4d1850f3723b389f13fc1470.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mender said:

ya, i thought about that edge, and was considering rolling it up a bit, but i think your approach will end up cosmetically better. time to drag the welder back out :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

paint dude? grind that down, jam some filler primer on it, grab a few cans of gloss black and spray bomb it. Gloss black matches up pretty easy. This entire bumper was white, not anymore. newbird.jpg.6b6188ab4d1850f3723b389f13fc1470.jpg

heh, we have a guy at the track that does a lot of paintwork for folks. it's inexpensive and high quality. plus i have a finite amount of free time so i do the stuff i enjoy on the car and farm the rest out.

edit to add: this is a BMW, so only Schwartz Black will do....it's a bimmer thing....... ha!!!!!! (commence bimmer douche flamming in 3.......2........1........)

Edited by atxe30
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

The screaming chicken is awesome.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, atxe30 said:

heh, we have a guy at the track that does a lot of paintwork for folks. it's inexpensive and high quality. plus i have a finite amount of free time so i do the stuff i enjoy on the car and farm the rest out.

edit to add: this is a BMW, so only Schwartz Black will do....it's a bimmer thing....... ha!!!!!! (commence bimmer douche flamming in 3.......2........1........)

I get it...but gloss black is gloss black... my daily is a 99 540i Sport 6 speed. I get it. 

• Like 1

Finally almost done with the suspension. Had a snap ring for a ball joint end up being fused to the spindle. Thought I got it put finally. Not quite all of it, created a ton of resistance causing the threaded rod removal tool to snap sending half of it flying across the garage. But it did break things free enough to remove. Built a new tool and have things mostly back together. Ton of time spent with wire brush cleaning up years of grime (halfway done comparison image added)

Should have car back on ground tomorrow. Then off to the race shop for alignment and corner balance. 

20210801_163914.jpg