What happened to your ChampCar today 2021 ??

22 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Just one of the old school screw mount incandescent indicator lights, it’s just looking for 12V Low amps with the key on, the folks that try to run a resistor or straight power seem to be the ones having the most issues.

All I’m finding are led bulbs? Would that matter? 

3 minutes ago, mgoblue06 said:

Thanks!

What size fuse do you suggest inline to the battery post?

Depends on your wire gauge and alt output but would think 100-150a wouldn't blow unless wire pinch in a crash.

I have seen folks use 150a breaker on a v8 starter, it works till running off in gravel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Absolutely would matter, let me look a minute for a incandescent example.

I just added a resistor on my car, that way you don't have to route that wire back and forth to the dash.

Unless you want to have the light bulb in the engine buy but that seems a bit crazy.

22 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

I just added a resistor on my car, that way you don't have to route that wire back and forth to the dash.

Unless you want to have the light bulb in the engine buy but that seems a bit crazy.

I would not think so, say the alt light comes on, I radio in, turn off anything unnecessary and watch the volts/water temp while the crew rounds up a new alternator, it also can save a engine if the water pump shares the alt belt

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

I would not think so, say the alt light comes on, I radio in, turn off anything unnecessary and watch the volts/water temp while the crew rounds up a new alternator, it also can save a engine if the water pump shares the alt belt

I have fancy digital dashes and poop for that!

Overcomplicating stuff is key to success.

Edited by turbogrill
  • Haha 1

For bmw’s at least, As explained to me by a BMW master. The light bulb provides a voltage drop which causes the alternator to increase voltage because it sees a reference that is lower than the output voltage. If you just direct power the alternator signal or an LED bulb it will only output about 12.7 volts. Having the light causes the alternator to output 13.2 or higher. 

• Like 1

I welded my flanges to my cast exhaust manifold.  Tired of having it fail.

16295143082771317618229.jpg.80037d197aa08e9a13d6d08ed8bc370a.jpg

Also fixed and reinforced my failed engine mount.

Can't get the drivers side exhaust manifold out without removing alternator.  Maybe I'll get to welding it later this weekend.

1629514339606803233875.jpg.28fb99c2e66bb580307ab9935157b6c7.jpg

• Like 2

Next, I need to move my seat like 2 inches forward because my racer friends have short freaking legs.  I have the seat set so that it can move 4 inches further forward and up from where I sit.  I figured that'd be good....  I'm only 6 feet tall.

Nope.  Need 6 inches...  twss.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chbright said:

So changing the flange on an exhaust is 0 points, or did you pay to mod it?

I just cut part of the flange off and welded it.

Cutting material off is zero points.  Weld is zero points.

On top of that, it's past the point where all the pipes come together, so I could technically do what I want since its downstream from the collector.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I just cut part of the flange off and welded it.

Cutting material off is zero points.  Weld is zero points.

On top of that, it's past the point where all the pipes come together, so I could technically do what I want since its downstream from the collector.

I was asking as I wanted to do the same to the other end......

10 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I welded my flanges to my cast exhaust manifold.  Tired of having it fail.

16295143082771317618229.jpg.80037d197aa08e9a13d6d08ed8bc370a.jpg

Also fixed and reinforced my failed engine mount.

Can't get the drivers side exhaust manifold out without removing alternator.  Maybe I'll get to welding it later this weekend.

1629514339606803233875.jpg.28fb99c2e66bb580307ab9935157b6c7.jpg

Did you just weld it like normal steel?   If so, I wouldn’t be surprised if it fails in the near future.  Cast iron requires special heating to properly weld. If you just let it cool normally, it will likely crack.  

Edited by petawawarace

25 minutes ago, petawawarace said:

Did you just weld it like normal steel?   If so, I wouldn’t be surprised if it fails in the near future.  Cast iron requires special heating to properly weld. If you just let it cool normally, it will likely crack.  

The newer GM manifolds have been proven to be pretty capable of being welded with normal mig procedures.  We shall see how this works.

Most people doing budget turbo builds on LSX engines just hack off the flange and weld on a turbo flange with no issues.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 9:21 AM, Team Infiniti said:

One Daytona race, I found myself arm deep in the fuel tank changing a pump, it impressed me enough to note how warm the fuel was. The only place heat could transfer would be the filter/frame crossing near exhaust from bottom to top and the rail itself (return system)  Since then, we moved the filter and shielded the lines but never went back to check temps

Was the the time you wired the replacement fuel pump up backwards and it pumped the wrong way?  😍

38 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

What did you do to it? Was that a fresh engine?

We had a coil wire break. We are pretty sure that this caused the cylinder to wash down and cause this piston failure.   It was a low mileage engine that I had prepd and only had 3hrs of racing on it.   

2 minutes ago, petawawarace said:

We had a coil wire break. We are pretty sure that this caused the cylinder to wash down and cause this piston failure.   It was a low mileage engine that I had prepd and only had 3hrs of racing on it.   

I’ve never heard of that theory before, mender can you explain this?

2 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I can't tell what's wrong.  Inform me please!

Can you see the piston ring? The split in the one is actually the ring end gap.  You shouldn’t be able to see that.   There’s 2 almost identical pieces of piston missing and have exposed the ring.