What happened to your ChampCar today 2021 ??

I just finished up my prototype Economy Air Over Hydraulic Roll Cage Tubing Bender. I will be bringing it to market in the next couple months. I had a bunch of tools stolen early this year so car construction came to a halt. But I have replaced most of them with upgrades so I will be going over the 2022 rules soon and getting back to work.

If anyone is interested in getting a bender then let me know and I will give CC teams first priority for shipment when they are ready. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SpeedMaverick said:

I just finished up my prototype Economy Air Over Hydraulic Roll Cage Tubing Bender. I will be bringing it to market in the next couple months. I had a bunch of tools stolen early this year so car construction came to a halt. But I have replaced most of them with upgrades so I will be going over the 2022 rules soon and getting back to work.

If anyone is interested in getting a bender then let me know and I will give CC teams first priority for shipment when they are ready. 

Cost on a unit like this? Interested 

1 hour ago, SpeedMaverick said:

Right now with the current prices of the dies and the steel that are going insane since I started this project, the price will be $595 with 1 die.  The dies will be $165 ea. 

Can it accept different radius dies?  Or is it limited to the wide radius that would be ideal for larger tubing?  I prefer to use a tighter radius on 1.5" tubing vs 1.75.

3 hours ago, Ian said:

Can it accept different radius dies?  Or is it limited to the wide radius that would be ideal for larger tubing?  I prefer to use a tighter radius on 1.5" tubing vs 1.75.

It uses the 7" on the bigger sizes and can use the 5" dies on the 1" & 1.25" tubing. It's an economy bender vs. the high dollar which can accommodate the smaller radius. I may do another design in the future that can use the 5" radius dies with the larger tubing but for now this is what I am producing.

I am waiting on delivery of my CNC plasma table so I can crank out the final product. So I will be offering that service also starting in October.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Decided to spend some points. Lowering the car and full suspension rebuild did not give me anywhere near enough camber. E39 front suspension strut mount does not allow for adding a washer as a shim to get more either. So, adding camber plates. I rather burn some points than wear tires prematurely. 

Got a second set of wheels and tires and going to studs instead of bolts. Bimmerworld TA5R's with Maxxis tires.

Got the rear main fixed, no more leaks! 

Decided to get the exhaust done professionally. I wasn't happy with my work and want something a bit nicer. 

Got a digital radio setup from Racing Radios ready to install, cool suit setup, and my own racing gear bought. 

Still need to paint.

Won't get it ready for my goal of Laguna Seca, but might be able to run it before the end of the year in either a local sprint format series or failing that rent a track for a testing day. 

But damn if it won't be sorted and ready to run for 2022. 

Edited by Fetterhund
  • Like 5

Not that interesting for most folks but it is progress. Got 4 receptacles for 600# casters installed on the ends of the rocker panels. Car has been on Harbor Freight recalled jack stands for almost a year blocking the only way in or out of my 25x50 workshop. I stripped the suspension and it doesn't roll. So I needed a solution while I get my powder coat oven finished because I am powder coating all the stuff that I removed.  So now I can roll it outside and get to power washing using the dustless sandblasting setup that connects to my power washer. Time to get rid of all that undercoating that I can get to.  

And why the hell does this 87 Honda have so many wire looms that seem to be running through every part of this car? The ECU is in the back seat door panel area. Getting rid of the FI and running a carb is going to save way more weight than I thought it would....

20210914_214145[1].jpg

• Like 1

PBIR post race inspection.

Expected:

Needs 4 corner pads

Front rotors

Time to rebuild front brake cooling, can no longer put it off.

LF leaky strut needs refilled again, after 11 years its time to add a fill plug/drain plug so we don't have to pull the entire corner annually.

Unexpected weird:

Broken exhaust pipe, barely hanging in there, fractured where the fingers of the exhaust pipe bender/expander left a weak spot on a expanded joint... 6ish years ago.

Significant diff lube leak @ the mechanical gauge probe where it wore out/wont seal when tight, was fine 2 races ago when last touched (gets unscrewed to fill diff... for the last 9 years)

Cant be more then 10? cars still running for this long.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

PBIR post race inspection.

Expected:

Needs 4 corner pads

Front rotors

Time to rebuild front brake cooling, can no longer put it off.

LF leaky strut needs refilled again, after 11 years its time to add a fill plug/drain plug so we don't have to pull the entire corner annually.

Unexpected weird:

Broken exhaust pipe, barely hanging in there, fractured where the fingers of the exhaust pipe bender/expander left a weak spot on a expanded joint... 6ish years ago.

Significant diff lube leak @ the mechanical gauge probe where it wore out/wont seal when tight, was fine 2 races ago when last touched (gets unscrewed to fill diff... for the last 9 years)

Cant be more then 10? cars still running for this long.

I also had an exhaust "reducer" crack at the transition, nowhere near a weld. 

We are still running a car first raced in 2010, sure would be interesting to know how many have made it to their 10th birthday. 

IMGP1126.jpg

Edited by ABR-Glen
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mgoblue06 said:

Front splitter is complete! 

Also weighed the truck today at a local quarry. With myself and 5 gallons of fuel she came in heavy at 3200. Yikes. Some much for fast 😂

E04EC444-D378-4434-9543-5FA979BF509B.jpeg

7DEB4DEC-4B4E-4484-92E3-25F201AECD54.jpeg

Oh hell yes! What’s the first target race for this beast? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MichaelPal said:

Oh hell yes! What’s the first target race for this beast? 

Next year in the Midwest. 

If Mid Ohio is on the then schedule, then there for sure. Probably run two races. So probably Nelson Ledges, Pitt race, autobahn?

Wang and bed cover goes on next week then it will be in full race trim!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, mgoblue06 said:

With myself and 5 gallons of fuel she came in heavy at 3200. Yikes. Some much for fast

Last weighed @ Daytona April this year pre race: Full of fuel, driver in gear, cool suit filled, essentially ready to grid....3300 lbs across the NASCAR scales.... Oh, if you had not been briefed, we run a autotragic trans.

We were on the podium 14 hrs later.

Saying that, you have so gut that thing like you hate it!

• Like 1

Got the stupid headlights off.  A heat shield for the coils, some wiring, front airdam, splitter fixed up, exhaust mounted, codes checked, spark plug wires replaced, wires neatened up, etc....

Short list left to get ready for AMP practice day (as a shakedown for barber in december).

Can't wait for this shizz to be done so I can work on my gm3900 v6 powered rx8.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Team Infiniti said:

Last weighed @ Daytona April this year pre race: Full of fuel, driver in gear, cool suit filled, essentially ready to grid....3300 lbs across the NASCAR scales.... Oh, if you had not been briefed, we run a autotragic trans.

We were on the podium 14 hrs later.

Saying that, you have so gut that thing like you hate it!

With our IRS swap (before the tech article was revoked) that added some extra weight. The original frame and axle would have been probably 150lbs less. Talked to a Lucky dog team and they run about 200lbs less fully gutter like ourselves. There isn’t much left to take out. The plasma cutter loved sheet metal 😂😂😂

• Like 2

Just moved into a new house recently so wasn't sure car would be prepped in time for road america.  Got just enough boxes unpacked and tools arranged to spend the weekend putting in new wheel bearings all the way around replacing the transmission Not beaming with confidence, but the car went through all the gears and brakes work, might as well  go ahead and register.

image.png.69667c671a9898c2a0b0964c0164b3f3.png

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, tneker said:

Just moved into a new house recently so wasn't sure car would be prepped in time for road america.  Got just enough boxes unpacked and tools arranged to spend the weekend putting in new wheel bearings all the way around replacing the transmission Not beaming with confidence, but the car went through all the gears and brakes work, might as well  go ahead and register.

Nice space! Is that a garage or did you convert the living room? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tneker said:

Windows, great lighting, I see a heater... that's a great garage!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

Nice space! Is that a garage or did you convert the living room? 

LOL, the windows are kind of silly nice.  Previous owner had it built with nice windows, skim coated blue board and insulated.  I just threw up the furnace Saturday so I can get the propane company to come out an install a gas line before it gets too cold.  Previous owner also had a couple 220 outlets for EV's, which now I have one for compressor and one for welder.  Funny thing is he built this awesome garage and I cleary smeared more oil, grease, trans fluid, and brake dust all over the floor in one weekend than it had every seen over the last 10 years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 races, 2 busted motors.  Getting to tearing them apart now.   First one is the broken piston.  Broken coil wire created a miss, and we tried to limp it home.  Bad idea.  Fuel washed down the cylinder, and ended up breaking the top of the piston off and damaging the ring.  Also bent a valve.  Gonna rebuild that one.  

Other motor was a rental drivers 3-2 “upshift”. Sheared the flywheel bolts, which took out the starter, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, release bearing and obviously the motor.  This one is gonna be way more money.   

3A8A87B0-70C8-40F9-9246-4A62887211A3.jpeg

231789EE-0DAB-4C1E-B984-30D04CADC648.jpeg

E73220BE-B0BE-4C7A-8967-E8E3384CC221.jpeg

03BF0DE4-06C3-4DFC-8C91-7A0C62AE98CA.jpeg

• Sad 3