What happened to your ChampCar today 2021 ??

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've been working on fender flares using metal that we've removed from the trunk lid inside area.  I know it doesn't look like it covers the tire  at 2:00 but it does, optical illusion.    

This generator has been invaluable during our time with no power or water. I made a cable to back feed power into the garage 240 fifty amp outlet. ( yes it is illegal I know. Sometimes one needs to do

Applied 10 more rolls of duct tape to cover the previous 10 rolls. 

Posted Images

I cannot claim the credit for everything. My wife went to the Elderly Couples and, with her heart and convincing manor, talked them into coming to our home. As for the children that was not difficult. Oregon can be significantly colder than Texas or Florida. 5 days will test your metal. Glad everything worked out for you.

One of the appealing attributes of Texas is the friendly people and love of country. I wish the rest of the country could have a bit of this quality. 

37 minutes ago, Max said:

Sorry to hear that.  We had an ice storm in Oregon and lost power for 5 days. I ran a generator and extension cords to power the fridge, a space heater, and a lamp. Never again.  Wasn't brave enough to try wiring it into the panel.  Luckily, I have an electrician coming to wire a plug and interlock switch so that I can power the furnace and other essentials next time.  Good on you for helping your neighbors.  I tried but the only thing they'd accept is a charge on a cell phone and kindle 🤣

• Like 4

One has to admire New England ingenuity. I was born in Pa. I miss the weather change but not the cold. Stay warm!!!

14 minutes ago, 55mini said:

Not to worry I have done the same, almost, since we have lost power for extended periods I have a breaker in the main panel wired for a 220 cord to the outside generator location. It works to run the well and frig/freezer and some small amounts of lights. Got a wood burner we light up and burn 24/7 for heat. I understand completely, one does what you need to do........fyi we finally got into double digits today after 11 days of sub zero. And yes the main breaker to the pole is off.

• Technical Advisory Committee
52 minutes ago, Max said:

Sorry to hear that.  We had an ice storm in Oregon and lost power for 5 days. I ran a generator and extension cords to power the fridge, a space heater, and a lamp. Never again.  Wasn't brave enough to try wiring it into the panel.  Luckily, I have an electrician coming to wire a plug and interlock switch so that I can power the furnace and other essentials next time.  Good on you for helping your neighbors.  I tried but the only thing they'd accept is a charge on a cell phone and kindle 🤣

FYI you don't need to wire anything into the panel, you just need a basic dead-man cord. Basically an extension cord with male on both ends. 

The breaker that feeds the outlet you plug into essentially becomes your main, but you will be limited my the breaker size as unlike the real main you will probably be 20A or so. You then typically want to shut off any breakers you don't need as things that are plugged in but not turned on may be stealing a tiny pit of precious amperage. You want to shutoff the actual main for reasons already mentioned. 

Doing this with a small generator can get your furnace + fridge and maybe a cellphone or light all running, but you have to be mindful of the inrush current of the fridge etc. 

When the grid goes down, you gotta do what you gotta do.

• Like 6
  • Technical Advisory Committee
21 minutes ago, Andrew D Johnson said:

FYI you don't need to wire anything into the panel, you just need a basic dead-man cord. Basically an extension cord with male on both ends. 

The breaker that feeds the outlet you plug into essentially becomes your main, but you will be limited my the breaker size as unlike the real main you will probably be 20A or so. You then typically want to shut off any breakers you don't need as things that are plugged in but not turned on may be stealing a tiny pit of precious amperage. You want to shutoff the actual main for reasons already mentioned. 

Doing this with a small generator can get your furnace + fridge and maybe a cellphone or light all running, but you have to be mindful of the inrush current of the fridge etc. 

When the grid goes down, you gotta do what you gotta do.

AH, the good ole- double-ended-death-cord.

Thats how my gen is wired up - to the old 50a hot-tub breaker.

• Like 3

I have an interlock on one of my outside panels (that feeds an interior subpanel) and have a Cat 12kW portable generator.

I have hard start kits on all of our outdoor compressors. The generator output is 48A, so can run a larger AC and a smaller AC (5 and 2 ton), refrigerators, lights, well pump, TV, IT closet. We would be completely comfortable. 

If we have a hurricane predicted I get about 2-3 days of fuel (8 VP jugs plus 13.2 gallon tank). By then gas stations will be reopened.

Of course. in the 3 hurricane season I have had this setup, we haven't gotten hit by a hurricane.

Edited by Snorman
  • Like 3

Have a jumper box of my main with a 20 ft cord I can plug into a generator at my Florida home. Did not think I would need it in Texas. Especially during winter time. 

I am having a jumper box made now for my home here in Houston. Should have been prepared for this. I will not get caught unprepared again. 

Living in Florida you will need your set up. It is not if but when. Well done Sir. 

5 minutes ago, Snorman said:

I have an interlock on one of my outside panels (that feeds an interior subpanel) and have a Cat 12kW portable generator.

I have hard start kits on all of our outdoor compressors. The generator output is 48A, so can run a larger AC and a smaller AC (5 and 2 ton), refrigerators, lights, well pump, TV, IT close. We would be completely comfortable. 

If we have a hurricane predicted I get about 2-3 days of fuel (8 VP jugs plus 13.2 gallon tank). By then gas stations will be reopened.

Of course. in the 3 hurricane season I have had this setup, we haven't gotten hit by a hurricane.

11 hours ago, Bremsen said:

Went to look for tires at TR and they've removed almost all of the RS-4 sizes.  Anyone know whats up?

Hankook is sponsoring the LDRL series and all the cars need to run their tires to be eligible for contingency awards. All tires bought through LDRL have to go to teams that are registered for upcoming races to make sure the tires stay in the series. 

I'm a lineman, and can tell you if i am working an outage and hear a generator you can bet your rear ill be knocking on the door to verify the connection asking for it to be shut down while I'm making repairs in the area, and potentially pulling the electric meter. If we find backfeed we normally take the cord and return it when we are done lol. 

WAYYYY to many times weve found it back feeding. Its my life not your inconvenience I care about at that time sorry not sorry.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 2/19/2021 at 8:11 PM, mender said:

Hankook is sponsoring the LDRL series and all the cars need to run their tires to be eligible for contingency awards. All tires bought through LDRL have to go to teams that are registered for upcoming races to make sure the tires stay in the series. 

Can one still run on other brand tahrs?

RS4's are not available in my size.

*They are running Brainerd, hence the interest.

1 hour ago, Bandit said:

If you're not on LDR marked RS4's they allow you to race, but you're bumped to SD (superdog). 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bandit said:

Did you check with hankook north America?  Most sizes aren't listed on tirerac right now.  I think they get a shipment next month.

5 minutes ago, mender said:

What size are you after?

Big

spacer.png

RS4's don't go wider than 285 iirc.

Would be happy with a 315 in a 17 but it seems only Nitto's are available in that size and they lack grip. So, looks like 335/18's are the only play.

Just trying to get equal, proportional, width with the Miata's and Beemers running 245's.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Bandit said:

Some of those e30s weigh 2400 pounds.  How much will this beast weigh do you think?  Solving for x with a 315 versus a 245 and 2400 lbs puts this thing WAY up there in weight.  (Like almost 3100 lbs)  2800 lbs would be like a 285.

Edited by wvumtnbkr
Just now, wvumtnbkr said:

Some of those e30s weigh 2400 pounds.  How much will this beast weigh do you think?  Solving for x with a 315 versus a 245 and 2400 lbs puts this thing WAY up there in weight.

And some are 2100.

Miatas claimed at 1950 here.

How do those numbers calc out?

5 minutes ago, Bandit said:

And some are 2100.

Miatas claimed at 1950 here.

How do those numbers calc out?

I'll do the calcs, but it has also been fairly well proven and accepted that tires in this class aren't really faster by being wider (beyond a certain point), they just last longer.  Like multiple races versus 1 weekend.

A 285 would compare directly to a 245 (2100#) at about 2450# (which is what my car weighs and I run 245s....)

That is crazy overkill.

Edited by wvumtnbkr
16 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

A 285 would compare directly to a 245 (2100#) at about 2450 pounds.

That is crazy overkill.

Is it? Are all those Miata's and E30 going overkill on their tires? I doubt it.

SuperVette was under tired compared to the competition yet there was plenty of pearl clutching about the 335's on it.

btw- I won't be anywhere near 2450.

eta-Would much rather run 275/17's as they are much much cheaper but its too much of a disadvantage.

Edited by Bandit
22 minutes ago, mender said:

We went from 205 Z3s to 225 R-S4s to 245 R-S4s on the Civic. Each tire size increase was a noticable step up in both tire life and traction.  

I've yet to see a car go slower on wider tires.

*Assuming the proper camber/caster adjustments are made.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bandit said:

Is it? Are all those Miata's and E30 going overkill on their tires? I doubt it.

SuperVette was under tired compared to the competition yet there was plenty of pearl clutching about the 335's on it.

btw- I won't be anywhere near 2450.

eta-Would much rather run 275/17's as they are much much cheaper but its too much of a disadvantage.

No pearl clutching about the size.  Pearl clutching about going through several $k of tires in one weekend.

Just enough truth to scare people off....

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

No pearl clutching about the size.  Pearl clutching about going through several $k of tires in one weekend.

Just enough truth to scare people off....

They're expensive due to the size however. 

Were there a lot of calls to ban Rival S prior to GBU? The impression I got it was all about the tires on that particular car that brought the pitchforks out. And not just that they were sticky as plenty of others run that tire as well.

I really don't want to run them myself due to wear, two sets a weekend would not be good, so am researching Goodyear Supercar 3's. Those require 19's though. ugh... Bigger wheels and more weight. Would fit 15 inch brakes though.

There are some things in this series that are exclusively trading dollars for time on track, most of those are controlled by points.  The ones that aren't should be identified and limited.  Hot compounds are an easy one to identify and regulate.  Race fuel is another.  I also see the +2 gallon fuel cell rule as an issue that incentivizes to spend and reduces parity.

Edited by LuckyKid
  • Like 6