What happened to your ChampCar today 2021 ??

Ray Franck

3 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

You don't need to run wide tires...  it's a decision to be made.

the tire width you need for a given platform is arrived at through some amount of car development, but in almost every case, from a practical matter, a race car needs wider tires than what was put on for street use. and sure *maybe* that development ends in rolling being adequate, maybe it doesn't.

edit to add: my point really was around it being a safety requirement hence the question on why points? safety stuff should be free.

Edited by atxe30

Building a Z32 (2nd gen 300zx) with a J32A2 (all alum V6 from a '02 Acura Type S). (not a Champcar)  :>(

Changing all suspension joints to rod ends and spherical brgs. No rubber, no urethane

Got it gutted from the firewall back, went from 3250 lbs to 2700 lbs, and the back glass is still in it, and the stock cast iron block and AT. Hoping for 2400 dry. The previous 280Z was 2250 dry.

The best thing is no rust, the 280z was about 2 weeks of rust repair.

Champcar puts this car at 475 points, they should ease up a little.

The 280Z is 150 pts. We built our 280Z with J30 swap at 490 pts. It had a P/W ratio of 200hp/2250 lbs, 11.25 to 1.

Assuming you can get a 300 down to 2400, which is doubtful with the stock engine,  it would be 220hp/2400, 10.9 to 1. And when they raced these they were very nose heavy / tail happy. In fact the 2+2 was preferred over the 2+0 because it had a little more weight in the rear.

They are coming down in value, there's a lot of high mile beaters out there. We got a running one with straight body for $1000, and a parts car with dead engine for $250.

This is not the actual car, but something close to the hopeful end result.

z32.jpg

Edited by Dimsun Racing
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Dimsun Racing said:

Building a Z32 (2nd gen 300zx) with a J32A2 (all alum V6 from a '02 Acura Type S). (not a Champcar)  :>(

Changing all suspension joints to rod ends and spherical brgs. No rubber, no urethane

Got it gutted from the firewall back, went from 3250 lbs to 2700 lbs, and the back glass is still in it, and the stock cast iron block and AT. Hoping for 2400 dry. The previous 280Z was 2250 dry.

The best thing is no rust, the 280z was about 2 weeks of rust repair.

Champcar puts this car at 475 points, they should ease up a little.

The 280Z is 150 pts. We built our 280Z with J30 swap at 490 pts. It had a P/W ratio of 200hp/2250 lbs, 11.25 to 1.

Assuming you can get a 300 down to 2400, which is doubtful with the stock engine,  it would be 220hp/2400, 10.9 to 1. And when they raced these they were very nose heavy / tail happy. In fact the 2+2 was preferred over the 2+0 because it had a little more weight in the rear.

They are coming down in value, there's a lot of high mile beaters out there. We got a running one with straight body for $1000, and a parts car with dead engine for $250.

This is not the actual car, but something close to the hopeful end result.

z32.jpg

So, maybe I'm not understanding....

You had a Nissan that had a pwr ratio of 11.25:1 and 490 pts, but think that the 300z should have its points lowered from 475 even though it has a better (presumably) pwr.

The newer car with better pwr should be less points?  I mean, it already is.

I wonder how light KSR got their car.  I would have guessed it was the lightest one and would be surprised if it was much more than 2k or 2100#.

Edited by wvumtnbkr

6 hours ago, Dimsun Racing said:

it would be 220hp/2400, 10.9 to 1. And when they raced these they were very nose heavy / tail happy. In fact the 2+2 was preferred over the 2+0 because it had a little more weight in the rear.

Cool car!

From this thread it seems like the engine is the less inspiring thing. Maybe they should lower the swap weight and put it at 425lbs. If it's a cheap and available I think champcar should encourage it.   

On 12/21/2021 at 9:49 PM, petawawarace said:

New mill built. New pistons/rings/valves and all seats lapped. This was a low mileage motor to begin with so nothing else really needed.  Going to pick up a junkyard motor and give it a refresh as a backup. 

4CCDD7FB-4A82-4571-9214-9DBB6CB48B0B.jpeg

what engine is it?

Only two items left on the car. Install the fire system, and a good nut and bolt once over. Have a private track day with a small group at a local track planned for Jan 3rd so I can turn some laps. Going to do some testing, get some photos taken, and then if all goes to plan, run a full 2 hr stint in the car. Full test of live stream, cool suit, radio, etc. Then it'll be just little finishing touches and tweaks. 

• Like 3

On 12/17/2021 at 11:13 AM, atxe30 said:

......but when i can buy 4 pre-shaped pieces of thin steel for a hundred bucks, when i don't have a full metal working shop to make them, well...i still have to weld them on etc, etc....

That's what panel bonding adhesive is for easy, fast, & cheaper.